TURNTABLE SYSTEM: ANY HELP ?

hamdib

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I am a beginner and would like to built a turntable system. My budget is tight, (around £1000 in total for turntable+phono amp+amplifier+speakers) Also I want my amplifier to be as lexible as possible so that I can connect my iPod dock, too (many connections). I dont have big rooms but into good vibrant & punchy bass lines. I am after best starter kit which I can invest more for future improvements.

Thanks for your help.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Rega P2 + Bias 2 cartridge (factory pre-fitted and aligned) = £294

Rega Brio3 amplifier = £322

No phono-stage necessary as the Rega Brio 3 has a good one built in.

That leaves £384 (I think)

So go here and buy a nice pair of Rega R3 floorstanders for £349 + £20 delivery whilst the seller still has them.

That leaves you £15 for a funky Rega P2/P3 felt mat in the colour of your choice
emotion-2.gif

Job done.

hamdib

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for this very illuminating reply, it seems that you quite like Rega systems, could you tell me more about Rega, their built quality, their future flexibility ?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
I suggest going down to a local hi-fi shop if you have one & audition various turntables etc. You will be a lot happier when making your decision.

A

Anonymous

I have a second (vinyl ) system upstairs which is absolutely brilliant. Rega P3-24 plus power supply and Dynavector DV10x5 cartridge, Rotel RA02 amp and Revolver RW16 speakers. The TT part of this is a bit pricey, especially the cartridge, a high output moving-coil which works great into the phono stage of the Rotel. This Rotel was replaced by the RA05 - superb amp, better IMHO than the higher powered RA03/RA06. Speakers a persoonal choice.

The great thing about Rega, since you asked, is that they've been going for 35 years and know exactly how to make superb sounding products which don't break, at the right price. The P3-24 is the latest version of decades of evolution, very simply and well built, fantastic arm etc - you can't go wrong. The Rotel amps have all the inputs you need as well as phono stage, and a headphone socket (which the Rega amps don't have), and should be a bit cheaper.

Hope this helps.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Totally agree. Whilst Rega is a well established brand, there are other alternatives - you really need to have a listen.

If you are in the 2nd hand market, you could get an awful lot more turntable for your money.
£200 could buy you a Linn Axis / Manticore Mantra / Systemdek (all of which will comfortably outperform a P2).

This leaves £800, of which I would spend £500 on the amp/speakers. For that I would be looking at a Rotel RA-04 and Dali Lektor 2, leaving £300 for cables/speaker stands/phono stage.

But, as stated above, you must try and listen at a dealers if you can. A thousand pounds is a lot to waste if you don't like it.

A

Anonymous

fatboyslimfast: For that I would be looking at a Rotel RA-04 and Dali Lektor 2, leaving £300 for cables/speaker stands/phono stage.

Actually the RA-04 (like the RA-02) has a superb phono stage built-in.

hamdib

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for so many inputs. Very helpful.

What do you think about this combination ? (As in sound and equality of sources) ?

Rega P2 + Bias 2 cartridge (factory pre-fitted and aligned) = £294

Rotel RA-04 =£250

Dali Lektor 2 =£300

PS:One more thing, I dont like hifi equipment with "Made in China" label. I dont know if any these are made in china.

John Duncan

hamdib:One more thing, I dont like hifi equipment with "Made in China" label.

If you're doing so on perceived quality grounds, then you're ruling out some of the world's best equipment. If you're doing so on moral grounds, then fair enough, but I'd guess the Rotel and Dalis may now be out of the equation (though can't confirm without digging).

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
This has been covered many times on here before.

Even "made in Europe" items will contain a large amount of Chinese components. The better yardstick is how the manufacturers deal with quality control.

But as JD says, if it is a moral objection, it may be very tricky to avoid entirely, and a great deal more expensive...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
hamdib:
PS:One more thing, I dont like hifi equipment with "Made in China" label. I dont know if any these are made in china.

All Rega items are manufactured in Essex UK. Even their cartridges are handmade in-house by Rega including the coil windings. They make their own bass-mid speaker drivers in-house too. The 'factory tour' on the Rega website - despite being a few years old - shows the extent to which everything is designed, made, assembled, and tested in their own premises.

Obviously they are NOT making their own capacitors, resistors, chips etc (and their own custom designed tweeters are made by Vifa) but as UK companies go, they probably design, produce, assemble, and test more of their product's content than most. (Except possibly Naim.)

I have no 'moral' axe to grind but I do like to think my purchases are keeping British employees in work wherever practical and wherever possible. So more 'economic' than moral.

These reasons were not a prominent factor in upgrading from a Chinese manufactured Arcam unit to an English made amp/CD combo but it certainly helped the decision along a little. (I only found out the Solo-Mini was Chinese made after purchase regrettably.)

If I upgraded my speakers, I would take care that they were UK designed AND manufactured as much as possible. Again, not a moral thing but if products a, b and c all sound great then I will take the one that adds more to our economy and keeps some bloke or women 'up the road' in a job a bit longer.

A

Anonymous

Totally concur with you here chebby , I chose my kit with the same criteria and will buy UK manufactured products where possible. Oh and by the way it sounds bloody fantastic..........

hamdib

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I know and understand that most hifi companies now use chinese parts in their products. My concern is more of built quality than moral issue. Esp. for speaker manufacturing where hand craftmanship is more important. What I want is stable and long lasting units will offer music without lacking physical quality.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I know it's not of UK origin, but having demo'd an RA04 and owning a RA-820 which is 28yrs old and going strong, I can vouch for the build quality and reliability.

Rega turntables are bulletproof, and the Dali's are of Danish origin, so there should be no problems there either.

But again, go to a dealer and have a look and feel as well as listen - that way you'll get just what you want.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts