turntable sound quality

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
On my project 3 turntable, the sound quality deteriorates as the stylus gets nearer to the centre of the disc. Can anyone advise me on the likely cause?

thanks

Vonspritz

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Isn't it to do with physics and centrifugal force? The closer to the centre, the tighter the corner that the stylus has to manoevre, and more sideways force against side of the groove, rather than the straighter, more controlled grooves towards the outside.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
That's true, Dandy. The SQ is supposed to be lower as you get towards the centre, but it's not something that I can say I've noticed myself. But, if the sound is getting distorted and sibilant towards the the end of a side, then it's Inner Groove Distortion. I've had plenty of trouble with that in the past and in my case it has always been a case of cartridge misalignment.

To the OP, Recheck your carts alignment and even if it looks bang on, try kicking the arse the of the cart out a tiny amount towards the centre of the record and if that doesn't help, kick it out a touch towards the outside of the record.

Oh, one other thing: make sure that the headshell, as well as the cart, is parallel to the lines on the alignment protractor. When I got my first TT, I had the cart bang on and didn't know why it sounded so awful. It was because the headshell was way off.

Set up is a bit of a faff, and I blummin hate it cos i'm an impatient ******, but once it's done it's done and you wont have to touch it again. Until you change cart of course!

Good luck mate. If you still have trouble, come back to us, cos there's plenty of guys (and a girl. Hi Clare!) that kinow loads more than me that will be able to sort you out.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Agree with all above, also while your at it check your tracking and in particular your antiskate setting

see here

Also you dont mention if its an original fit cartridge or a new one? Again please pay particualr attention to the above.

A

Anonymous

I noticed I get this on a couple of my records too, but it's always in the same place and always on the same records. I just assumed that because they were old records they'd surferred abuse in the past?

A

Anonymous

I noticed I get this on a couple of my records too, but it's always in the same place and always on the same records. I just assumed that because they were old records they'd surferred abuse in the past?

A

Anonymous

True Blue said:
Agree with all above, also while your at it check your tracking and in particular your antiskate setting

see here

Also you dont mention if its an original fit cartridge or a new one? Again please pay particualr attention to the above.

That's interesting. I have the Debut 2, and the instructions tell me to use the third groove (instructions are pretty pants, to be honest). But I always though it should be the middle groove, based on the spec of the OM-5E cartridge.

What symptoms would I get with too much anti-skating?

Chris.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
lambda said:
No, you're right Lambda. If it's only happening on a couple of records it's not IGD, it's that the records are knackered.

A

Anonymous

Hi Bretty,

I have records that play absolutely perfectly (most notably Pink Floyd) with no distortion whatsoever. But most of my records are charity shop purchases and a few of them have clear distortion right at the same place everytime I play them. Some can have a brittle sound, too. Thing is, it's impossible to tell until you play them what they are going to be like in a lot of cases. :(

Chris.

iMark

I'm afraid your charity shop records have been played on bad (or badly set up) equipment. Sounds like the grooves are damaged. As a last resort you could try to wash the records. That will get rid of the dirt but won't fix a damaged groove.

A

Anonymous

I've adjusted the cartridge alignment, it was pointing very slightly inwards, and got a major improvement. I'm really chuffed, thanks.

Now that the subject of cleaning has been mentioned, I've got a supplementary question. In the past, I've managed to clean very mucky records (and I don't mean Derek & Clive) using a little washing up liquid, cotton wool and running tap water, with very good results. However, I wondered what is the correct way to clean vinyl? Some of my records have been stored for years without being played, and get what looks like small patches of mould, even though they're stored in a dry environment.

Cheers

Vonspritz

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
For cleaning (and removing static- my biggest problem). Try this http://www.amazon.co.uk/CONRAD-Disco-Antistat-Disco-Antistat-Cleaner/dp/B000BFXIVW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313831965&sr=8-1

Seems to work very well, and quite therapeutic on a Saturday morning.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
For cleaning (and removing static- my biggest problem). Try this http://www.amazon.co.uk/CONRAD-Disco-Antistat-Disco-Antistat-Cleaner/dp/B000BFXIVW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313831965&sr=8-1 Seems to work very well, and quite therapeutic on a Saturday morning.

I concur. I've got one of these Knosti's and they are a really cheap and effective cleaning and anti-static solution. Compare how much dust a non-cleaned LP attracts against one that has been cleaned with a Knosti. A real "Night/Day" difference.

lambda said:
What symptoms would I get with too much anti-skating?

Chris, I don't think you got an answer to this.

Too much anti-skating, meaning over-compensation for the arm's natural tendency to 'skate' inwards, will be most obvious in left-channel mis-tracking and the resultant distortion.

With no anti-skate, the arm will tend to lean too heavily of the left-hand side of the groove (the inner wall of the V that is the groove), so the right-channel will tend to mis-track. The anti-skate device is intended to compensate for that. When set correctly, the onset of mistracking will be roughly the same on both channels, and most obvious on the inner grooves near the end of a side.

Some will say anti-skate affects stereo image too, and doubtless it may do, fractionally.

Test records focus on getting the tracking consistent at increasing levels recorded on the LP.

In practice, it is often better to under-set antiskate if you don't have a test disc, as systems tend to err on the side of overcompensation. But try it and listen - you won't break anything! A loud and steady sound helps, maybe an organ or solo singer, or loud drums near the end of a side.

A

Anonymous

DIB said:
DandyCobalt said:
For cleaning (and removing static- my biggest problem). Try this http://www.amazon.co.uk/CONRAD-Disco-Antistat-Disco-Antistat-Cleaner/dp/B000BFXIVW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313831965&sr=8-1 Seems to work very well, and quite therapeutic on a Saturday morning.

I concur. I've got one of these Knosti's and they are a really cheap and effective cleaning and anti-static solution. Compare how much dust a non-cleaned LP attracts against one that has been cleaned with a Knosti. A real "Night/Day" difference.

In addition to a cleaning, I'd also like to store my LPs properly, most come with rubbish cardboard sleeves. Can I get anti-static sleeves for the vinyl and plastic covers for the LP covers? Would this make a difference too?

A

Anonymous

I have noticed that on some records the right is *slightly* more prominant than the left, but not sure if that's just the production or what.

I may try reducing the anti-skating by one notch and see if that makes any difference.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
lambda said:
DIB said:
DandyCobalt said:

In addition to a cleaning, I'd also like to store my LPs properly, most come with rubbish cardboard sleeves. Can I get anti-static sleeves for the vinyl and plastic covers for the LP covers? Would this make a difference too?

You can pick up anti static sleeves off Ebay quite easily, lots of choice out there. I've replaced quite a lot of my old non anti-static/cardboard inner sleeves with new fresh anti-static ones. I tend to replace them as and when I give the LP a good clean. Well worth the relatively small outlay.

Something like this..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50x12-LP-ANTISTATIC-POLYLINED-PAPER-SLEEVES-FREE-P-P-/360202944656?pt=UK_Home_Garden_CD_DVDStorage_SM&hash=item53ddc4c090

I've never bothered with the outer plastic covers myself.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I swear by MFSL inner sleeves, you can get them for 20 quid for 50 delivered from juno.

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/mobile-fidelity-original-master-sleeves-50-x-12-record-sleeves/422120-01/

I also use pvc covers from covers33 to protect the outer sleeve. I know this may sound like overkill but I am just making up for the LPs I had when I was younger when they were just thrown anywhere.

A

Anonymous

Anti-Stat disc cleaner and MFLS sleeves added to my christmas list :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts