Turntable Setup. What do I need?

harrisjac

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

So i've decided to return my Ion Max LP as its rubbish and need some help with a setup. Ive been looking at the Rega RP1 but i'm a little stuck on where to go next. I would like to get myself some KRK Rokit speakers (yes i know there studio monitors) but i have no idea about Amps, Pre-Amps and all the bits in between.

Thanks

Update: I have purchased a Pro-ject Debut II 2nd hand and will be picking it up this weekend. I can't find much documentation online and was wondering if it has a built in pre amp.

Thanks Again

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
You need an amp, an amp with a phono stage will be better

If your chosen does not have a phono stage then you will need a seperate phono stage!

What is your budget?

Also why are you getting studio monitors?

John Duncan

If you're getting studio monitors, you'll certainly need a phono stage; but if you're looking at an RP1, you might consider the Flexson VinylPlay that I got, which is a rebadged RP1 with a Rega A2D phono stage bolted on, a Rega Carbon cartridge and a glossy finish. It's good, and good value.

Pro-ject also do something similar IIRC.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Looks like those speakers are powered so there have amps inside them. Yes you will need a phono stage. I would look at Project Carbon Turntable instead of the Rega RP1. If buying new think you need to spend a bit more on speakers and amps, with your budget I would look at used.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
harrisjac said:
Update: I have purchased a Pro-ject Debut II 2nd hand and will be picking it up this weekend. I can't find much documentation online and was wondering if it has a built in pre amp.

Thanks Again
I'm pretty sure the only retired Pro-Ject Decks with a phono pre-amp built in were: Debut Carbon Phono USB, Debut III Phono, Debut III Phono SB, Debut III Phono USB, Essential Basic Phono USB, Essential II Basic Phono USB, Essential II Premium Phono USB, Essential Phono USB and the Essential Premium Phono USB. The current line up of Pro-Ject Decks with a phono pre-amp is: Debut Carbon DC Phono USB, Elemental Phono USB, Essential II Digital and the Essential II Phono USB

E

elouiseharpur29718

If you are unsure of how to set up your turntable its worth taking a look at the Henley Designs Youtube channel. They have some great videos on how to set up turntables etc.

www.youtube.com/users/henleydesignsltd

Chris Firth

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Have you grown up with vinyl?

Do you have a legacy collection of vinyl records?

If not then I'd forget about going that way at all.

It's a pain in the backside, and it takes a lot of maintenance and dedication to get the best from it.

If you're starting from scratch with it then leave it alone. Save yourself a whole world of potential grief.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Chris Firth said:

It's a pain in the backside, and it takes a lot of maintenance and dedication to get the best from it.

If you're starting from scratch with it then leave it alone. Save yourself a whole world of potential grief.

A very negative opinion.

Waxy said:
Chris Firth said:

A very negative opinion.

Alas it's one held by many these days, and perhaps pertinent when you consider the cost of new vinyl.

Chris Firth

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Waxy said:
A very negative opinion.

It's an honest opinion.

I grew up with vinyl, and I still have my collection.

I remember hearing quite a few albums now considered classics on release day. Halcyon days.

I even buy some of the reissue vinyl - I have the Led Zeppelin stuff up to and including Physical Graffiti in the deluxe versions, and I'll have to get the remaining three, because I suspect that it's the last opportunity I'll have to buy new decently pressed records of these albums.

I have an extremely capable vinyl setup, and I enjoy playing records when I do, but the majority of listening for me at home is streamed music via a Squeezebox Touch, so I wouldn't recommend anyone buys a CD player either *smile*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts