Turntable Quandry

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

Just signed up to the forum in hope of getting some good advice.

I currently own a Systemdek IIX from many moons ago. Since I've had it I've replaced the motor with one from Audio Note and have also upgraded the bearing/platter with those from an old IIXE (or is that an IIX 900 ? can't remember nowadays).

The arm is the much underrated Roksan Tabriz, which has subsequently been rewired internally with Audio Note silver wire.

The cartridge is a Goldring 1042.

Having been out of the hi-fi world for about 15 years I have no idea how this stacks up against more modern fare and have been thinking about replacing it. To be honest I was somewhat shocked to find that the Tabriz now retails at over £550 and the 1042 over £200. Although the Systemdek is old I find it even more surprising that the modern equivalent (Audio Note's AN-TT1) costs about £800. So I'd have to spend approx £1500 to effectively buy the same again.

I realise it's difficult to compare old with new but can anyone give me any suggestions as to how much I would have to spend to get a reasonable increase in performance?

If it means spending over £2k then I'm not sure if it's worth it but think I'm at the limit of what I can do to the old deck.

Many thanks in advance and apologies for the long first post !!

Regards

Darren

P.S. Just out of interest does anyone know what a 2nd hand Systemdek in A1 condition fetches nowadays ?

Hi Darren,

I was in the same quandry last year. Eventually decided to spend some cash on a new Roksan Radius 5 which I managed to get without the usual Nima arm fitted.

I fitted my old Tabriz arm to that and kept my old cartridge too.

The Tabriz arm is still a cracker and like you say in the order of £500 new, and probably a lot more to find a different make of the same quality.

I would humbly suggest you might do the same - keep your arm and cartridge and just replace the Systemdek. I am not sure what you would get for it but a quick check of a well known internet auction site might give you some ideas.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Alears

Being a bit of a numb nuts I didn't think of that so many thanks again for the great suggestion. In truth I love the arm and without disrespect for the Rega, find it a good alternative to what is often the default choice (although it's probably the default choice for good reason). Plus it took some effort to rewire the thing so am happy to put it back in the box until I work out where I'm going.

Tis now done though and the "well know internet auction" now has another item listed !! Hopefully it with fetch a good price although I was worried that I wouldn't get what I was after for the arm/cart if sold together.

Best regards

Darren

P.S. The Radius sounds a good marriage (with the arm I mean ;-)

Darren,

Glad to be of some help. I am sure you will benfit in the long run and at much less expense. Both your arm and cartridge are good solid performers and the Tabriz is a better arm than the Nima that usually accompanies the Radius 5.

A word of advise though. If you plan to go down the Radius 5 route do not be tempted to go for the cheaper version with the wood-effect (MDF) chassis go for the acrylic version as the MDF build quality needs to be improved, especially with regards the fitment of the adjustable feet and the screw-in tonearm cable retainer.. I am having to replace mine with third-party alternatives!

Cheers,

Alan

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Sorry but you should have kept the systemdeck but if you do go down the radius route make sure you get a good discount without the arm or buy one with the arm and sell it, good deck but then so is the arm and im not so sure it's any worse than the tabriz i just hope you get a good price for your systemdeck.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Gregory.

I understand where you're coming from. I'm sitting here right now listening to Moseley Shoals and am still loving it. It's such a great musical deck (despite it not being a great recording) but in truth feel as if ithe arm has reached it's limit with it and would benefit from better partnering (I hope I'm not going to regret it in years to come).

To be honest, good as the Radius is, I'm ultimately looking for something like a Gyro or Orbe if my money can stretch that far (2nd hand perhaps). I saw an ex demo Orbe going for about £1500 and reckon there'd be movement on that so could be a possibility. I'm sure it would outclass the arm but have seen them with RB300's so maybe not.

Fingers crossed that I get £150-£200 for mine ehh
emotion-5.gif

Best regards

Darren

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Well Darren, looking at that well known auction site you may well just make the 150 mark hopefully more, fingers crossed, you mention the Orbe and Gyrodeck and as the radius is close in price now to a new Gyrodeck why not, i had a Gyro with Rega RB 300 so the tabriz should be better or different at least, of course if your thinking of going down that route the one deck that would take my vote is a 2nd hand Xerses, best deck i've ever had, will always regret selling it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts