Question Turntable Beginner

gradiels

Jun 4, 2024
Visit site
Hi, I’m new in this turntable and LP records world, if I may ask for any suggestion to start a turntable setup.
Previously I was recommended to start with RP1/RP1+, but I'm starting to feel RP2 is better to start with, are there any other recommendations for starting in this world? Thank you in advance

Hi, I’m new in this turntable and LP records world, if I may ask for any suggestion to start a turntable setup.
Previously I was recommended to start with RP1/RP1+, but I'm starting to feel RP2 is better to start with, are there any other recommendations for starting in this world? Thank you in advance
Welcome to the forum.
Get to a dealership and have a look at what they have in stock within your budget?
There are plenty of turntables that aren't Rega.... :)
What makes you want to get a turntable into your set-up, do you already own a load of LPs?

gradiels

Jun 4, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
Get to a dealership and have a look at what they have in stock within your budget?
There are plenty of turntables that aren't Rega.... :)
What makes you want to get a turntable into your set-up, do you already own a load of LPs?
Thank you for your reply, the local shop provides Audio Technica LP60 and LP120, as far as I remember there was also Pioneer but I forgot the type, but when I looked online, many online shops recommended me to start with Rega, and what made me want to start setting up turntables because I was given quite a lot of gifts in the form of vinyl records and I was also given a turntable but it was in the form of a suitcase which in fact could damage the LP in the long term, that's why I wanted to start haha, do you have any recommendation to start with?

Thank you for your reply, the local shop provides Audio Technica LP60 and LP120, as far as I remember there was also Pioneer but I forgot the type, but when I looked online, many online shops recommended me to start with Rega, and what made me want to start setting up turntables because I was given quite a lot of gifts in the form of vinyl records and I was also given a turntable but it was in the form of a suitcase which in fact could damage the LP in the long term, that's why I wanted to start haha, do you have any recommendation to start with?
Online shops do not usually recommend anything and if they did would surely only recommend whatever they happen to stock so not always the best advice.
If you are new to turntables and unsure of how to set them up correctly I would certainly suggest getting something your local dealer stocks and can set up for you.

gradiels

Jun 4, 2024
Visit site
Online shops do not usually recommend anything and if they did would surely only recommend whatever they happen to stock so not always the best advice.
If you are new to turntables and unsure of how to set them up correctly I would certainly suggest getting something your local dealer stocks and can set up for you.
Ok maybe I will intensely contact them haha, thankyou for your kind advice

andybebbs

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
I would not necessarily start with a Rega even though i own one, look at how you want to use it. Is it for the occasional record play, just LP`s or do you have singles as well as you will have to remove the platter to change speeds on the Rega. do you want semi-automatic or manual so lots to think about.

Welcome to the forum! As you’ve just arrived, may I check something? You do realise that you need an amplifier and a pair of speakers too, or perhaps a powered speaker with an input socket for a turntable?

The type of turntable you choose might be affected by what else you have or propose buying, because of the need to amplify the signal from the pick-up cartridge. You’ll see mention of ‘in built phono stage’ or similar on some AT, Rega and Pro-ject models, for instance.

Reactions: DougK1

daytona600

Project / Rega & enjoy your records for a few decades
Keep away from the 1000s of re-branded chinese junk decks on the market
Rega henry ford any colour you like
Project endless choice with all the bells & whistles

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Welcome to the forum! As you’ve just arrived, may I check something? You do realise that you need an amplifier and a pair of speakers too, or perhaps a powered speaker with an input socket for a turntable?

The type of turntable you choose might be affected by what else you have or propose buying, because of the need to amplify the signal from the pick-up cartridge. You’ll see mention of ‘in built phono stage’ or similar on some AT, Rega and Pro-ject models, for instance.
Can of worms well and truly opened.🤣

Reactions: DougK1

gradiels

Jun 4, 2024
Visit site

Yes I do know that i'll need an amplifier, passive speaker and maybe also a preamp, thankyou before

Reactions: gradiels

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum! My first TT was a brand-new ~1962 Webcor suitcase. Are you sure the great-gift vinyl in the package has not already been damaged (by/in that suitcase)? If that is pivotal for you, might you be able to check this with friends, relatives, or someone? A visual check helps, but can be insufficient.

Also, btw, my last 3 turntables in the last 12-15 years have been nice used finds, including the current one for the last 4. It does take a) some know-how -that you can gain here, from many online videos, and perhaps from your benefactors, and b) Patience for finding a nice one. Don't know what you may have access to, but this may a good way to learn whether and how much you're going to enjoy your recent gift/this new hobby. That's how I returned to my LP collection economically and satisfactorily about 12-15 years ago. Regardless, setting up any new or used TT is fun, including the learning!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts