Turntable & amplifier .. are there any?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After 45 or so years, our Sharp SG400E music centre is gradually falling apart and we need to replace it. The Sharp is nice because it is just one box, all the controls are under the lid, collecting less dust and looking neater than exposed knobs etc.

After much deliberation we decided we don't really need the radio or cassette player so it is just one box with turntable (33/45 (78 )) capability and its own stereo amplifier that we are looking for.It must be able to take input from our CD changer and be able to output either USB or line/mic level so that I can shift our discs to MP3 and burn to CD . Our Denon speakers are adequate.

We are not looking for 'Wow, is that the Liverpool Philharmonic you've got in your living room?' level fidelity, but it must not grate and make us think 'could do better' (Did try a Steeple tone .. no further comment).

I have searched and can't find such a unit, and am hoping someone on here may be able to point me at what I am seeking

Thanks

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
dumbo said:
I have searched and can't find such a unit, and am hoping someone on here may be able to point me at what I am seeking

You could look at a turntable that has the features you want and pair it with a small amplifier module that can sit directly beneath it.

The Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB has switchable phono/line output, USB output and 33/45/78 RPM speeds. It also comes with the AT95E cartridge. Price is £199.99.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turntables/583f30b3a8662772/index.html

For amplification, the BK Electronics Pear Drop could fit the bill at £199.95.

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/ClassD/ClassD.htm
Having a single input, you would need a pair of these to connect your CD changer: http://www.thatcable.com/product/1-RCA-Male-to-2-RCA-Female-Y-Splitter-Adapter

doctorrock

Jun 26, 2008
Visit site
Or this - may not have the input from your cd changer but does have a CD recorder which might help - sorry has a cassette and radio also

www.teac-audio.eu/en/products/lp-r500-84061.html?tab=Stage

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Pro-ject do such a beast, although I'm not sure it'll do 78 without a bit of jiggery-pokery and I don't know whether it has a line-out or not.

EDIT: This one...
I'm pretty sure it has a line in but don't think a line out....but as you said you can't expect "Liverpool in my living room" fidelity though, a turntable and an amp aren't really components that go well in one box.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, you guys for your interest and info ..

You've given us plenty to think over.

Thanks again

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Denon DM39DAB (£350 including speakers).

Audio Technica AT-LP120 USB turntable. It has a built in phono stage and it has 33/45/78 speeds. Importantly it has an easily interchangable headshell so a spare one with a 78 cartridge fitted can be swapped quickly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts