Trying To Make Improvements On A Budget

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi , I've been into HiFi / TV Theme for many years and have been getting what HiFi mag on and of for roughly the last 17 years

I currently own a Samsung LE40R5 , Humax HD Foxsat PVR , with a Denon 1910 DVD player

I use a Lindy 6 way mains conditioner with all these and a chord Silver Plus HDMI between the foxsat to TV

I'm looking to make an upgrade to my setup but i'm not 100% sure as i don't have a big budget

I've been looking at blue ray players as there getting pretty cheap but i'm left with a problem of having to share the HDMI input on the tv so would need to buy a splitter and then 2 extra HDMI cables , not only that when it comes to upgrading ( at least another year ) to a new thinner profile tv the sound is pretty shocking

So i was thinking home cinema which i would benefit from now and later as i upgrade the TV/DVD to Blue Ray at a later date

My current budget is £300 but i have found a yamaha ysp600 from superfi for £330 and would stretch to that if needed

I would still have to upgrade my dvd cable from scart to HDMI ( DVI ) and a digital connector to get the most from the DVD at a later date or is there other options like maybe a all in one DVD home cinema option preferably with an HDMI input to save money or even even a Blue Ray setup thats worth looking at for that kind of money ?

I know its not a lot of cash but any input would be good thanks

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I would recommend making the jump to bluray at some point to take advantage of your HD set but my first thought would be to look at a surround sound system that will be relatively future proof. With that budget, the Onkyo HTX-22HD, which is a 2.1 consisting of a combined sub/amp/processor plus 2 speakers, would fit the bill at £300. It will process audio over HDMI (inc. LPCM from a future bluray player purchase), has 3 HDMI inputs so you could use it as a switch for that single HDMI input on the TV. When you're ready to add the other three speakers (rears and centre) you can for £100 to make it a full 5.1 system. The new all-in-one bluray systems are all above your budget.

If you want to go full 5.1 straightaway, the cheapest route to HD audio (when you buy a bluray player) is something like the HT-SS100 from Sony (£330 at play) or HT-SS360 systems. Otherwise you're looking at second hand kit, which isn't really an issue with amps/receivers as on the whole they're looked after but second hand speakers can be tricky.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply , the Onkyo system looks like what i'm looking for and when i have a few spare penny's i can treat myself to the extra speakers + cables .

I wanted a more all in one kit to stop the upgrading path that i end up doing and money just keeps getting spent on things that didn't really need spending on as i know many of you would have suffered from in the past

So the YPS-600 isn't an option ? as i can always add a sub at a later date

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts