Question TRS to RCA vs TS to RCA

Gray

As the title says, does it make any difference? Since TRS is balanced and RCA is unbalanced, does TRS work better?
TRS is just a 3-pole connector.
It can be used as balanced or unbalanced, depending on how it's wired.
A TRS to RCA lead is not balanced (due to the RCA plug only having 2 poles), unlike a TRS to XLR lead (where the XLR plug also has 3 poles).

Last edited:
Reactions: Dipy

Dipy

Aug 4, 2021
Visit site
I'm sorry what is it that you're asking? Connectors? Balanced v unbalanced? If so in regards to what? Sound quality?

It might be obvious to others but I'm only about to have my first coffee of the day.

Sorry I just know some basic about audio… what I mean is there any difference if I build a cable with TRS to RCA and TS to RCA. Will the TRS to RCA perform better or it’s just the same

Dipy

Aug 4, 2021
Visit site
There would be no advantage in using TRS over TS if you are connecting it to a single RCA plug.

Thanks for that!

What is the socket you're plugging the jack plug into? Balanced or unbalanced?

I’m connecting scarlett 2i2 3rd gen’s TS/TRS* output to Fiio K5 Pro RCA input. Then using Edifier S1000DB native RCA cable connect from Fiio K5 Pro to the Edifier’s input.

I’m thinking of upgrading the native RCA cable to something better, will it worth it or just use the native cable? Any recommendations sir? Is there anything wrong with my setup maybe? 😊

*I read the manual it says it can be connected balanced/unbalanced.

Gray

Thanks for that!

I’m connecting scarlett 2i2 3rd gen’s TS/TRS* output to Fiio K5 Pro RCA input. Then using Edifier S1000DB native RCA cable connect from Fiio K5 Pro to the Edifier’s input.

I’m thinking of upgrading the native RCA cable to something better, will it worth it or just use the native cable? Any recommendations sir? Is there anything wrong with my setup maybe? 😊

*I read the manual it says it can be connected balanced/unbalanced.
Nothing wrong with your setup, all very nice.
Unless you need a different length, or fancy a different colour, the Edifier cable will be perfectly OK 👍

insider9

Why not go from Scarlet 2i2 directly to your monitors? You'll need a pair of 6.35mm TRS to XLR cables. This way you'd be running balanced from DAC to monitors which is preferable.

Then if you're intent on having Fiio in the chain use headphone out on your Focusrite (though at that point you might just plug your headphones in directly to 2i2).

Dipy

Aug 4, 2021
Visit site
Nothing wrong with your setup, all very nice.
Unless you need a different length, or fancy a different colour, the Edifier cable will be perfectly OK 👍
Okay… I was expecting a better sound quality if I upgrade the cable to Mogami with Neutrik TS and Amphenol RCA. Will it? 😊

Dipy

Aug 4, 2021
Visit site
Why not go from Scarlet 2i2 directly to your monitors? You'll need a pair of 6.35mm TRS to XLR cables. This way you'd be running balanced from DAC to monitors which is preferable.

Then if you're intent on having Fiio in the chain use headphone out on your Focusrite (though at that point you might just plug your headphones in directly to 2i2).
After reading this I think it is a very good idea but then I go search for the manual the make sure if it possible, seems like it’s not? Since the XLR is for output to the passive speaker, can it be used as an input? 47107087-32C5-4D33-BA10-5A6E8394DA4E.png

Gray

Has the Edifier got a balanced input?
(I didn't think it did have).

Dipy

Aug 4, 2021
Visit site
Those that expect a better sound, often 'hear' it ;), so if you've got the money.......
Hahaha what do you think? Will it in fact product a better quality with the interconnection upgrade? Are you a hi-fi enthusiast? Maybe you can share your setup so we can learn from it for further upgrades 😊

Markmaguire

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site

This is the best way to do it, but as the speakers don’t have XLR input, you’d go from 2i2 to speakers via TS (or TRS) to RCA. but whichever you go for it won’t be balanced as RCA is not a balanced connection. For a cable run of reasonable length, I wouldn’t be concerned about using balanced at this level.
If you wanted to upgrade your 2i2 to a different interface with coax and go digital to the speakers.

Reactions: Dipy and Al ears

insider9

This is the best way to do it, but as the speakers don’t have XLR input, you’d go from 2i2 to speakers via TS (or TRS) to RCA. but whichever you go for it won’t be balanced as RCA is not a balanced connection. For a cable run of reasonable length, I wouldn’t be concerned about using balanced at this level.
If you wanted to upgrade your 2i2 to a different interface with coax and go digital to the speakers.
Yeah, my bad. Just noticed you couldn't go balanced. If it was possible I still would as many USB interfaces will transfer a lot of noise from PCs when used un balanced. I know my Audient ID14 does, so that would be preferable for me even for short runs.

Gray

Hahaha what do you think? Will it in fact product a better quality with the interconnection upgrade? Are you a hi-fi enthusiast? Maybe you can share your setup so we can learn from it for further upgrades 😊
It doesn't matter what I think.
Have a look at a cable debate on any forum. You'll see that opinion is divided.

I can tell you that I own a 0.5 metre twin RCA interconnection cable that retailed for £76.
Does it sound any better than a £2 cable?
Not at all. But I got it free, won it as a prize.
If I'd been stupid enough to pay £76 for it, I might well think it was the best thing since sliced bread.

No harm in buying good quality connectors, especially as you mentioned making your own leads - they can be nicer to solder, have better cable clamps etc....so your leads should be durable and stay working for ever.
As for sounding better.......no.

Dipy

Aug 4, 2021
Visit site
It doesn't matter what I think.
Have a look at a cable debate on any forum. You'll see that opinion is divided.

I can tell you that I own a 0.5 metre twin RCA interconnection cable that retailed for £76.
Does it sound any better than a £2 cable?
Not at all. But I got it free, won it as a prize.
If I'd been stupid enough to pay £76 for it, I might well think it was the best thing since sliced bread.

No harm in buying good quality connectors, especially as you mentioned making your own leads - they can be nicer to solder, have better cable clamps etc....so your leads should be durable and stay working for ever.
As for sounding better.......no.
Thanks for your insight sir, this help me made up my mind. I will not upgrade those cabling for now as it all sound pretty good. And I bet even with those upgrade, there will be very minor to no improvement since all my equipments are side to side so the native RCA cable connection should be okay! 😊

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts