Triangle Esprit Gaia EZ

robdmarsh

Has anybody owned or even heard these?
I would think that the answer to this question is sadly no as availability of this speaker in this country is practically nil. Still, I feel like I've got to hear them, as a Triangle devotee, and I suspect I would rather like them to say the least. There's a video by Zeos reviews on YouTube, who's a bit of an idiot but very entertaining. He babbles on about them for over half an hour and is very enthusiastic.

I would think that the answer to this question is sadly no as availability of this speaker in this country is practically nil. Still, I feel like I've got to hear them, as a Triangle devotee, and I suspect I would rather like them to say the least. There's a video by Zeos reviews on YouTube, who's a bit of an idiot but very entertaining. He babbles on about them for over half an hour and is very enthusiastic.
Pretty sure any idiot could babble on for half an hour about any speaker....
if anyone has heard them it doesn't mean you are going to hear what they heard.
As you say they are rare in the UK and I have never seen a pair let alone heard one.
however ie suggest you dont go buying without auditioning unless you know you can sell them on with little loss if you don't get on with them.

WayneKerr

I'd be looking at your amp before getting better speakers Rob :)

robdmarsh

Yes, he certainly can babble on and his style is very in yer face but there's something about his uncouth style I quite like and he doesn't hold back about his "feelings", a contrast to all the other reviewers bending over backwards to be objective. The thing is, if I ever went to floor standers, these are speakers I feel I definitely should hear as I love the Titus so much. The bigger model Antal can be found quite easily but these are as rare as hen's theeth.

Reactions: janul

robdmarsh

I'd be looking at your amp before getting better speakers Rob :)
Yes, you'd think so wouldn't you, but in the summer I heard, admittedly with a Bluesound Node ( :( ) playing Spotify, an Arcam SA20 playing music I know well and didn't really like what I heard. The specs for the Esprit Gaia are pretty similar to the Titus but with a lower minimum impedance drop.

robdmarsh

PM8004, (Pearl Lite), which didn't seem much of a improvement over the PM6004, decided to aim two tiers higher with the current upgrade and it worked... Moral for you, miss out the obvious PMA1600 upgrade and go straight to the PMA2500 :)
So you've heard the pma 1600ne? And my vague plan to try out the Gaias with my current amp, what is it about this that you think is not a good plan? I think you are probably of the camp that believe that the majority of a system's budget should be in the amp and not the speakers. :unsure:

WayneKerr

I'm very shallow and not prone to experimentation, I hear a brand with a presentation I like so I stick with that brand. Consequently I'm a Marantz man, so no, I haven't heard a PMA1600 :) I have no doubt the Gaias would sound good on the end of your current amp but my nagging question would always be how would they sound with a beefier amp driving them?

It may seem expensive doing big jumps up a range but not as expensive as multiple box-swaps, with retrograde and sideways steps along the way, until you come across a sound you like.

Regarding dispersion of budget I would say spend equally, but having heard how the diddy Harbeth P3's perform on the end of my amp I find myself asking "Could I want for more?"

Reactions: Gray

robdmarsh

I have a real fondness for Marantz as I had the little m-cr603 and derived great enjoyment from it. I think Marantz and Denon have quite a lot in common - they're bound to being under the same Sound United umbrella. I know what you mean about brand loyalty, these two brands have a special place in my affections.
Speakers though have been a different matter. I loved Elac and always thought their laid back but full sound was for me, until I heard Triangle, which taught me to love a different sound: agile, airy, engaging but without the kind of "listen to me, listen to me!" presentation that I would associate with B&W (at least the models I've heard) or indeed the Sonus Faber Lumina ii that I recently tried out.

Reactions: WayneKerr

WayneKerr

I have a real fondness for Marantz as I had the little m-cr603 and derived great enjoyment from it. I think Marantz and Denon have quite a lot in common - they're bound to being under the same Sound United umbrella. I know what you mean about brand loyalty, these two brands have a special place in my affections.
Speakers though have been a different matter. I loved Elac and always thought their laid back but full sound was for me, until I heard Triangle, which taught me to love a different sound: agile, airy, engaging but without the kind of "listen to me, listen to me!" presentation that I would associate with B&W (at least the models I've heard) or indeed the Sonus Faber Lumina ii that I recently tried out.
Speakers are the final piece in the jig-saw, very room dependent, sometimes bigger is not necessarily better. I only have experience of smaller Monitor Audio, PMC, and latterly, Harbeth. Just my opinion of course.

WayneKerr

You've never been a floor stander man?
Had some MA BX5's once, they were good but I replaced them with MA RX2's, (not ideal), these were bested by PMC DB1's... then Harbeth P3. I've found that infinite baffle speakers work best in my lounge due to placement issues and the need for a functioning lounge.

Actually I've still got the BX5's, might plug them in one day to see what they sound like :)

WayneKerr

Sealed box construction, no bass ports. Shoe-box with a tweeter and woofer, larger options are available :)

I have no idea why they are called infinite baffle... I've yet to google it.
Just googled it... can't be bothered with the difference between sealed and infinite... think I'll just settle for a pair of shoe-boxes :)

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts