TRADITIONAL HIFI VS ACTIVES

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI, this is mainly a question for the What Hi-fi writers, or anyone who has heard the equipment in question! I am going to be upgrading my system ( currently a fairly old Pioneer mini system ) and having heard a friends hifi am looking at something similar to his. He currently has a Cyrus 6 amp and Proac Tablette Reference 8 speakers running from various sources including his PC. I have been looking at a number of similar priced products - say the Proacs themselves / Dynaudio's / Epos ( would prefer standmounts ), and amp wise, perhaps Cyrus / Exposure / Naim. However I have seen some good reviews of the AVI adm9's and wonder in pure sound quality terms, would these compete with this type of equipment? I am looking to run music mainly from CD. Many thanks, Nathan.

A

Anonymous

Im very impressed with AVI's actives after legnthy listening session at a mates house. I might be re-locating to Singapore in the new year, and if this happens, I'll look into the possibility of using these with my laptop as source and sell my current (RRP c. 6k) set-up. From what Ive heard, the quality difference will be only a small step down considering cost savings

A

Anonymous

Thanks. I have heard that in terms of accuracy the adm9's are really good, but What Hifi said they have a sometimes over bright treble - my friends system sounds very refined, though I accept it is a few hundred pounds more expensive.....

A

Anonymous

My impressions of the ADM9's:

Pros:

Resolution, imaging, soundstage were decent. Timing crisp. Foucs was kept at high volumes.

cons:

Bass rolled off pretty early, you'd need a sub if you want grunt. Also has an element of 'blast you against the rear wall' which some may find fatiguing during higher volume listening

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Ok, I have left lengthy descriptions of the ADM9.1's here previously so I wont do it again but to sum them up, they are a speaker system with what sounds like a totally flat response, no peaks, no dips ... simple. The control the amps have is immediately noticeable. There's no overhang to bass and transients are neither over-hyped or slow. Treble is absolutely crystal clear but not harsh due to the very low distortion amplifiers I've been told. I've heard them a number of times inlcuding at AJ's (AVI) home with his kind permission and oddly enough, as you just posted this, will have them here in my own place again either tonight or tomorrow courtesy of a friend as I need a full system again and have'nt made my mind up on what to get yet.

One word of warning, they are not a low level listening speaker as they seem to lack any sort of 'saddle back' response or loudness curve. Usefull for late night listening and something that has so far caused me a little bit of a head ache with regards to buying this speaker. AVI are not concerned with such hifi things though. Their back ground and associations with the recording industry clearly shows in the product and if its honesty in re-production your after, then you could do a lot worse. You could always add a good fast sub.

A

Anonymous

Thanks drummerman, some interesting points. Whilst you may not have heard either, any idea how they would compare with, say. my friend's Proac Tablette Reference 8's or something like a Ruark Sabre III ??

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I have owned both ruark's earlier Sabre's and just recently ProAcs and think both companies make very good speakers but active really is different. With the speakers you've mentioned you can tailor the system to your liking if you do it properly. With actives you're pretty much 'stuck' so the right choice is even more important if thats possible. AVI are of course not the only company that do those systems, meridian, Dynaudio etc are some others but if you see what you do get a lot of superb engineering for the money at AVI but see if you like the sound first. Its a bit like marmite. Like I said before, Ashley James is very helpful and I'm sure you could get an audition at his factory or one of the associated dealers.

A

Anonymous

Again thanks for the advice. I shall definitely arrange to have a listen. I have looked on the AVI website and can't help thinking that some of the comments they make are a little far fetched ! For example,

"There are the massive savings to be made and it is no exaggeration to state that ADM9.1s will outperform, by an appreciable margin, separates systems costing many times their price."

Am I meant to believe that should I go ( not that I could afford to ) and buy a pair of say Proac Response 1sc's and pair these with perhaps a Sugden A21 or a Primare I30, bringing the total cost to only a little over double that of the AVI's, that they would not sound as good as the £1100 AVI's??! What Hifi's review was fairly good, but they certainly didn't go that far !! Marketing speak perhaps ?!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Don't [EDITED BY MODS - HOUSE RULES] denounce something you haven't heard simply because you don't like the marketing. If its within a range of products you'd consider, go listen to it.

Would it outperform the system you suggested? Only you can answer that.

What I've heard a couple of nights ago, this time in my place, with a small sub, came very close to another system many times the 9's price. They are that good. I'm almost certain I will buy them as I could'nt so far build a system for two or even three times as much that I'd rather have. Couple more things to look at and decision will be made. But thats just my ears, it does'nt necesseraly mean you like them too.

Little pointer, in Ashley James's place they did'nt win me entirely over. He had them pulled out right into the (fairly large) room and if I remember correctly there was'nt that much furniture either. They sounded to bass light. If you get a dem, why not ask the little chap if he could move them into the other room. I have a feeling they would sound better there with a little wall assistance. They also positively thrive with a good fast subwoofer. You dont have to spend 700 quid on an AVI one and he won't try to flog you one either. Have fun.

A

Anonymous

Well, i finally managed to get a listen to the 9.1s via a friend of a friend who received his brand new pair the end of last week. They are very impressive speakers and I liked them far more than I expected to. They are certainly bassier than the Proac Tablette reference 8's, but I think in the mid and treble departments it's all going the way of the Proacs. The midrange in particular is warmer yet still just as clear - the 9.1's sounding a little bit thin on male vocals. And I would agree with What Hifi that the treble is sometimes a little over enthusiastic - the Proacs however are so very detailed but refined with it ! The 9.1s are super value though, providing you with a very nice sounding speaker and amps all for a little over a grand. Just, in my opinion, up against something as good as the Proacs I feel they lack just that last degree of refinement and balance.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
nathan0001:Well, i finally managed to get a listen to the 9.1s via a friend of a friend who received his brand new pair the end of last week. They are very impressive speakers and I liked them far more than I expected to. They are certainly bassier than the Proac Tablette reference 8's, but I think in the mid and treble departments it's all going the way of the Proacs. The midrange in particular is warmer yet still just as clear - the 9.1's sounding a little bit thin on male vocals. And I would agree with What Hifi that the treble is sometimes a little over enthusiastic - the Proacs however are so very detailed but refined with it ! The 9.1s are super value though, providing you with a very nice sounding speaker and amps all for a little over a grand. Just, in my opinion, up against something as good as the Proacs I feel they lack just that last degree of refinement and balance.

Mmmh. As a former ProAc owner I would say it is very unlikely the little tablettes can possibly sound clearer than the ADM's even with some serious amplification/source and as to detail ... I won't say anymore. They are also not active. This publication has not yet reviewed the new 9.1's, which, I can assure you are another step up from an already good monitor. It may also be worth mentioning that its unlikely they have been anywhere nearly run in if your friend just got them. As a little side note, and not really super important for most of the time but if you ever want to listen LOUD and I mean almost recreate your local pub live band, the AVI's will continue to serve up the musicians in front of you when the little proacs have long burned their drivers and disintegrated into smaller bits. Try Rodrigue & Gabriela (please excuse my spelling, I'm tired and have'nt got the cd at hand) not nearly at full volume with the ADM's and you know what I mean, awesome.

But they are not an immediately impressive speaker nor will they appeal to everybody. Others do 'boom'n tizz' better. A slow grower and much better for it in the long run. A quality fast sub is imo mandatory with this speaker if you want wideband replay and lets face it, with a speaker like that it'll be a shame not to!

By the way, I think the tablettes are very good speakers too and I can understand if you prefer them on short listening but perhaps (just perhaps) you've missed the point and many advantages a good active speaker such as the ADM's have to offer.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Indeed, that really puts into perspective what value the AVI's are. Unfortunately its not easy to make people understand their virtues not at least because the relative difficulty in auditioning them and the sometimes needless agressive reactions to the companies admittedly unusual PR . I just sold a system that by most peoples standards probably would qualify as very good and I am not an owner of the 9.1's yet so am totally unbiased.

I admit I got a bit carried away lately and wonder 'is there something better' even at tripple the price, £3000, which is my very top budget, stretching that is. Thats the only reason I have'nt commited myself to them but I think I have to slowly come to the conclusion that whilst I maybe can equal them (and good sub) at 3k, or find something that sounds different rather than better new, I probably should just get on with it and buy them. I perhaps could put together better sounding stuff s/h but I'd like another system soon to listen to music rather than mix'n match for another year.

Thing is, I always think its great to have something that performs way over what anything at the price should be capable of. Better than all the owners of vastly expensive stuff, some of which never seem to be happy with what they have. I recently visited a forum where they discussed the problems of some unhappy ownerships of MF's KW550, something I briefly considered. Now I'm not saying its a bad product, I'm sure it is'nt but my point is, no matter what you buy there's always some compromise or something better and the more you spend the more you expect. If it does'nt live up to it, and a lot of times it does'nt, your buggered.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:Thaiman:

Actives?

http://home.snafu.de/adam-audio/professional/

Now you really are talking TM - Heard their passive HM2s at the bristol show and was blown away, so would love to hear what the actives are capable of. Saying that, the passives were £1300 a pair, so not exactly cheap...

Not cheap! may be...it depend how you look at things in life. If you listen to music everyday avearging 7 hours a week for the next three years they will cost you less than £1 per day.

A

Anonymous

A quote from drummerman "Mmmh. As a former ProAc owner I would say it isÿvery unlikelyÿthe little tablettes can possibly sound clearer than the ADM's even with some serious amplification/source and as to detail ... I won't say anymore. They are also not active."

ÿ

I spent quite a time listening to the 9.1's and as impressed as I was I just found the midrange too thin ( extremely clear, but a bit thin ), and the treble a little bright sometimes. You only need google the Proac tablettes to find a number of stunning reviews, one of which even refers to the midrange as "almost electrostatic quality". I actually can't remember the last time I read a review on a Proac speaker that wasn't glowing, and for this reason as well as my own opinion that they simply out-classed the 9.1s, I am going to purchase a pair. You mention that they "are not active", but neither are many of the very best speakers in the world. Just need to settle on an amp now !!! ÿ

A

Anonymous

Well, for anyone interested I managed to get another 9.1 "listen" over the weekend and my thoughts have not changed. Very good loud I must say, but all round balance, detail and refinement is not quite up to the little Proac Tablettes to my ears, and with vocals I feel there is a larger gap between them still. Just wondering now whether the budget might stretch to some Proac Response 1SC's..............................we can all dream I guess.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts