Trade-ins

bignige

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
They do. I should have said "aside from Fanthorpes" in my original post!!

They offered me (without seeing them) £200 for my Roksan Rok One speakers (20 years old) against a new pair of Iota speakers (£700) which I personally didn't think was too bad?

Just wondered if anyone had experience of anywhere else so I can shop around!!

N

insider9

Fanthorpes do decent trade ins. £200 they offered you was a good price in my opinion. Fewer and fewer dealers do it. Most of the time you will get slightly more if going a private sale route. As you found out with your speakers not always. All depends on the items and how big margin they have on the brand new item.

There's are fair few enthusiast (box swappers) that will be happy to take cash and gear as payment.

D

Deleted member 160668

stick a well described, good ad, onto the bay or similar. People pay top bucks if it’s good kit and well advertised.

My system - Arcam A29, MA RS6, DV79, rBlink, Chord cobra 3 interconnects, QED silver anniversary. Total cost = minus £2k or so...

have bought/sold - Linn, Arcam, B&W, PMC, denon, Marantz etc etc. over past four or so years. Just for the fun of it (I’m not a dealer - just an enthusiast who wants to try loadsa stuff out).

All in all I’m well up!!!

Gray

On a couple of occasions, the Audio T chain has done a joint promotion with 5 leading speaker manufacturers.

The deal was 20% off new speakers with a trade-in of 'Any working speakers'. I wish that offer had been on at the time I bought my PMCs from them - I'd have glady sorted them an old pair of music centre speakers from the loft.

I traded a (broken) pencil sharpener in when the Harmon Kardon retailer asked for 'Anything' in part exchange for a 5% discount. (Though even my Mum told me I was taking the p!ss).

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Gray said:
On a couple of occasions, the Audio T chain has done a joint promotion with 5 leading speaker manufacturers.

The deal was 20% off new speakers with a trade-in of 'Any working speakers'. I wish that offer had been on at the time I bought my PMCs from them - I'd have glady sorted them an old pair of music centre speakers from the loft.

I traded a (broken) pencil sharpener in when the Harmon Kardon retailer asked for 'Anything' in part exchange for a 5% discount. (Though even my Mum told me I was taking the p!ss).

Pointless post...

Gray

Gazzip said:
Gray said:

Pointless post...

The last bit maybe (although that has previously made people with a sense of humour laugh). But the point is, Audio T may well repeat the offer - which many on here would consider to be a worthwile saving - as they're not all as rich as you. By the way, I saw a post from you advising someone not to spend thousands on cables. I considered that to by a highly pointless post, but did not say so because I have never and would never tell any person that their post was pointless.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have historically bought most of my new kit from Fanthorpes, and quite a lot of my second hand stuff too. As with all dealers the PX deal depends a lot on what you are buying. In my experience if you are after (for example) new PMC, Bryston or Cyrus kit then you can negotiate a good deal with Fanthorpes, but if you want Chord Electronics then your PX won’t work as hard for you. Like I say that’s my 20 years worth of experience with them. *yes3*

Buying second hand or ex-demo from a dealer makes a lot of sense if they are manufacturer accredited dealers of that brand.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Gray said:
Gazzip said:
Gray said:

Pointless post...

The last bit maybe (although that has previously made people with a sense of humour laugh). But the point is, Audio T may well repeat the offer - which many on here would consider to be a worthwile saving - as they're not all as rich as you. By the way, I saw a post from you advising someone not to spend thousands on cables. I considered that to by a highly pointless post, but did not say so because I have never and would never tell any person that their post was pointless.

Gray, nor would I. It was a broken pencil sharpener joke. “Pointless”... *smile* Sorry if I offended you because I didn’t mean to. I meant to amuse you! G

BTW, I’m not particularly wealthy. My mid-life-crisis has just manifested itself in to a hifi obsession. All the best, GazziP.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
It’s good to know who in the uk would look after you and give you the best possible trade-in price possible because it’s obviously going to reduce the amount on your next purchase .

i have been to dealers in the past that have not given the very best price for your old bit of hifi even when your box changing something that’s not that old like a pair of speakers , amplifier that’s not sounded right as some of us this has happened too

And obviously the shop has to make a profit but I’ve seen what I’ve traded in on ebay 2 or 3 days later on eBay for a dame site more money then I traded in for but obviously it’s there property .

My advice would be sell what ever your selling Privately or on eBay but your got fee’s or gumtree but just ask what your dealership is going to give you for your old product first as you never no because sometimes it’s a hassle selling on eBay .

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Don't know about trade in as ive never gone down that route (yet) but ive hardly ever lost money on hifi kit buying and selling via ebay and chavtree. The wheeling and dealing is nearly as much fun as owning the equipment..easy way to trade up once you get the hang of it as well

insider9 said:
Fanthorpes do decent trade ins. £200 they offered you was a good price in my opinion. Fewer and fewer dealers do it. Most of the time you will get slightly more if going a private sale route. As you found out with your speakers not always. All depends on the items and how big margin they have on the brand new item.

There's are fair few enthusiast (box swappers) that will be happy to take cash and gear as payment.

Trade in margins, wherever you find them, are miniscule. The resultant offer is usually on the full price of any goods they are looking to get shot of and not,unfortunately, on all of the dealers stock.

Having said that £200 on these 20 year old speakers is a good offer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts