Toshiba HD-EP35 HD DVD Player any good??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Is the Toshiba HD-EP35 HD DVD Player any good? Is it worth £189? I was thinking of having my PS3 as my only HD player but great films such as "The Kingdom" are exclusive to HD DVD so again this has made me undecided as what to do...

A

Anonymous

Do you need the EP35 for anything in particular over the EP30 at £120?

A

Anonymous

I dunno, i just thought the EP35 was a better player overall.

A

Anonymous

It's all about audio.

If you want to be able to bitstream the audio to an HDMI equipped amp then get the EP35.

If you need to use the 5.1 analogues on the EP35 to send TrueHD etc., to an old amp that can not decode the new codecs, then get the EP35 and connect it to your old amps 5.1 analogue input.

If you aren't bothered about any of this and are happy with DD5.1 over the optical link to your amp, then you might want to get the cheaper EP30. It doesn't have the 5.1 analogues or bitstream over HDMI.

My guess is that they are both the same in terms of picture performance, they certainly use the same chip for up-scaling DVD. I have just bought the EP35 because I want to bitstream audio (and having analogue connections is a bonus), otherwise I would have probably stuck with the EP30.

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
Eddie is spot on but bear in mind that the EP30 can decode DDTrueHD on board and send it as PCM. I'm pretty happy with that but if you have an amp and speakers that can take advantage of bitstream audio then definitely consider paying the extra for the EP35.

A

Anonymous

I went for the EP30 in the end as I've decided against any major sound system investments either way for the next 6 months at least.

Historically, I've just plugged my standard old separates amp (cambridge audio) into my TV/DVD to get a bit of umph into the sound.

I'm potentially looking for a bottom end receiver (sub-£150) to bridge the gap until I start getting really serious about the audio side. Any suggestions on worthwhile investments that would work (I understand not with HD sound, just generally looking to be OK!) reasonably with my EP30/TV any better than the old reliable Cambridge (8 years old now and still fab!) 'umph' factor?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="dirtyleeds"]I'm potentially looking for a bottom end receiver (sub-£150) to bridge the gap until I start getting really serious about the audio side[/quote]

Could you stretch to £250? That would get you the Award-winning Onkyo TX-SR505, which is a belting budget receiver (although I realise not quite as budget as you might like!) At least then you'd be able to upgrade to 5.1 surround sound when you want, and it would save you buying another receiver in 6 months time.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy Clough"][quote user="dirtyleeds"]I'm potentially looking for a bottom end receiver (sub-£150) to bridge the gap until I start getting really serious about the audio side[/quote] Could you stretch to £250? That would get you the Award-winning Onkyo TX-SR505, which is a belting budget receiver (although I realise not quite as budget as you might like!) At least then you'd be able to upgrade to 5.1 surround sound when you want, and it would save you buying another receiver in 6 months time.[/quote]

Haha, the budget restriction isn't necessarily with ME! I'll let her know what the experts say ;)

Bonus time in March, so maybe an option. My concern was more that I don't think I'm going to upgrade/add to the EP30 for a while (unless maybe a PS3 or a Blu Ray standalone if the price drops to let me dabble in those markets too) so I didn't want the cash to be too wasted on further equipment I can't fully utilise. I.e. would the Onkyo allow me to surround sound my EP30?

Many thanks for the tip; it is an amp I will dig into further.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts