toshiba hd ep35 audio output issues !

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi

i have the ep35 connected to my pioneer vsx lx 60 amp via hdmi. when i play any hd dvd all i get on the amp display is pcm.

if i play a standard dvd with dolby digital or dts the correct audio codes are displayed.

i spoke to toshiba technical support and they confirm what is in the manual on page 22

when you play a disk with dolby digital plus, dolby true hd or dts-hd, pcm is output (which explains why pcm displays on the amp but also means the tosh is doin the decoding)

when you play a disk with dolby digital or dts bitstream is output (so the amp is doin the decoding)

they also said there is no way of sending out dolby true hd etc as bitstream the tosh must do the decoding.

i have read on this forum people manage to get there amps to light up with true hd etc and am wondering how this is possible after what technical support have told me.

any ideas ?

andy

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="andya"]

they also said there is no way of sending out dolby true hd etc as bitstream the tosh must do the decoding.

[/quote]

The ep-35 does send out True HD for decoding, I have it set up so my Onkyo 875 does the decoding and the True HD lights come on. Cant remember what settings I have, but if you search back through the forums, around December time there were a few posts with them on.

Technical support was probably thinking of the ep30

[Edit] Link 1

Link 2

A

Anonymous

i just dont see how anyone is getting the ep35 to output bitstream to their amp to do the decoding, as it clearly states in page 22 of the manual that true hd, dolby digital plus and dts-hd will be output as pcm. i am aware it bitstreams dolby digital and dts but nothing else !
so how is it possible other people seem to be getting it but me and plenty others cant.
a question for those who think it can !
when you are playing a disk outputting true hd press display on the ep35 and tell me if it says it is outputting true hd bitstream or true hd pcm ? because despite trying every combination known to mankind all i can get is true hd output as pcm ! which displays on my amp, this tells me the ep35 is doin the decoding and sending out as pcm. and how come tech support at tosh tell me it wont send these out as bitstream either ?
either tosh are lying to me or those who think they are getting true hd etc as bitstream are mistaken and are getting the pcm version.
anyone any thoughts on this ?
andy

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
I've just checked mine and the onscreen display says the following:-
Video codec : VC-1
Audio : Dolby TrueHD
Video Output : 1080p
Audio Output : Digital Direct Audio Mode
Audio Decode : None
My Onkyo 875 says in big letters Dolby TrueHD.

The settings on my EP35 under audio are as follows:-
Digital out SPDIF : Bitstream
Digital Out HDMI : Auto
Digital Direct Audio Mode : On
Dynamic Range Control : Auto
Dialog Enhancement : Off
Speaker Setting : 5.1ch

A

Anonymous

hi foxja

thanks for that, you ARE clearly getting true hd as bitstream, i cant work out why i cant get it also, my settings on the tosh are the same as yours but still it outputs pcm. the only 1 difference is i have mine set to 1080i. (dont have a full hd screen just yet)

would this make any difference as this is the video side of it and not the audio? clearly the manual is wrong and tech support have no idea too ! im running out of ideas fast and may be resigned to leaving it the way it is. still sounds great but would have liked to let the amp do the decodin to see which sounded better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts