Top Ten Budget speakers of all time .

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

SteveR750

Good Heavens, Goodmans Maxim?!

I had a pair, which i lined with plasticine to deaden the cabinets. They were still pretty poor IIRC....unless I am confusing them with another Goodmans model of the early 80s (the ones I had posessed a red LED that advised impening explosion if you indulged in a spinal tap moment).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:

I had a pair, which i lined with plasticine to deaden the cabinets. They were still pretty poor IIRC....unless I am confusing them with another Goodmans model of the early 80s (the ones I had posessed a red LED that advised impening explosion if you indulged in a spinal tap moment).

IMO. The Maxims that I had were exceptionally well balanced and musical.....and there was no red LED Light. :p

Though saying that, they mightn't have been the best speakers for Spinal Tap. :shifty:
....they cost about £70 in '87.

SteveR750

CnoEvil said:
SteveR750 said:

IMO. The Maxims that I had were exceptionally well balanced and musical.....and there was no red LED Light. :p Though saying that, they mightn't have been the best speakers for Spinal Tap. :shifty: ....they cost about £70 in '87.

Then I didn't have Maxims. These were cheap and nasty, and pre maxim.

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I second the B&W 602s3. Paid 299 for them back in 2002 or 3 I think. Still have them amd they continue to put a massive smile on my face even with the ovators as my reference. Utterly fantastic speaker that I will mever part with

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I second the B&W 602s3. Paid 299 for them back in 2002 or 3 I think. Still have them amd they continue to put a massive smile on my face even with the ovators as my reference. Utterly fantastic speaker that I will mever part with

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
bought a pair of tannoy m20 golds in the 80s (£250ish ) to tame my onkeyo amp which was a bit bright they would get my vote. my cd player was a philips cd 104 which at the time cost about £250

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Solavox PR25 MKIIs - £50-£60.00 (circa 1979) - only available in the UK at Comet.

Other than using my dad's JR149's when I was very young, my first set of speakers were Solavox (I forget the model) because I heard my mates pair - they went loud! Looking back, they remind me of the Wharfedale Valdus range - quite cheap really, but did a job for a silly budget.

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
plastic penguin said:
Solavox PR25 MKIIs - £50-£60.00 (circa 1979) - only available in the UK at Comet.

Other than using my dad's JR149's when I was very young, my first set of speakers were Solavox (I forget the model) because I heard my mates pair - they went loud! Looking back, they remind me of the Wharfedale Valdus range - quite cheap really, but did a job for a silly budget.

Not the PR25s. They were only 25 watts per channel RMS, and they were a neat, compact sounding speaker.

6815082968_10807d0f01_m.jpg

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
After much deliberation and analyisis, it gives me great pleasure to announce, in no particular order.

The Top Ten Budget Speakers of all time.

B&W 601S2 & Mission/Cyrus 780

Acoustic Research AR18

Jim Rogers JR149

Videoton Minimax

Royd A7

Mission 760 iSE

Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearls.

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

Goodmans Maxim

B & W 602S3

Many Thanks.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
IanL1962 said:
gazzaboy said:
Mission 760iSE, £150 new, got a set for stereo, now using as rears. Hooked up to a good amp, amazing frequency response.

+1 for the 760iSE - just need a good amp now!

+2

These were my first real hifi speakers. They have a lovely tight and detailed sound. Could do with a bit more low end bass though.

mission.jpg

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Shanka said:
1331-720.JPG

Am I too late, I still love them anyway

Those 720s are of a similar ilk to the 770s that I used to own, though they were better....with the 730s being better again and the often recommended 710s being the model below.

SteveR750

These were my first sort of hi fi speakers. I doped the cones with some epoxy resin to stiffen them up, had no discernible effect. Sold them to a friend who owned the most expensive Marantz transport / DAC in separate boxes (this was 1985 ish) a QED A240 amp. They didn't sound that bad actually IIRC.

M6AQ6ZMJPqsz1xFvxONcjA==.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts