Todays demo - B&W/Monitor Audio/NAD & Quad

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Todays demo went very well indeed.

Amp and CDP were the NAD C355BEE integrated along side the NAD C545BEE CDP. Speakers were: B&W 683's, B&W 685's, Monitor Audio RX2's, GS10s and the GS20's and QUAD 22L2's.

Music ranged from Massive Attack to Hot Chip to Sting with some Nat King Cole and the Watchmen soundtrack thrown in
emotion-5.gif

Started off with the NAD gear and the B&W 685's: Very good indeed but I knew already that it would be good after having had the speakers and similar NAD gear before. Just wanted to demo them for peace of mind etc...

Then demo'd the M/A GS10's which sounded superb but a little bit flat in the bass department. Moved on to the M/A RX2's and then it all seemed right! Soundstage was superb; deep, taut bass, great smooth and detailed midrange and brilliant but clear/crisp treble! REALLY liked this combo!

Whilst I was waiting for the guys to move the speakers around they brought in some Dali Mentor Menuet speakers in that had just been delivered; tiny speakers and more so when sat on Atacama SE24 stands but they sounded bloody brilliant; but not for me! A Bit too bass shy but at their size that's to be expected and for their price...!

Next speakers were the M/A GS20's which looked gorgeous and sounded superb but they were a little brash at the top end (cables could have been an issue here as they were Chord Chameleon Silver's). Soundstage was superb though and they had lush midrange. Bass was good but I didnt feel it was a taut as the M/A RX2's. Weird I know as they're standmounters but I do think the GS20's deserve better amplification IMO.

Then tried the B&W 683's which were very good indeed; these can really shift some air and kick out bags of bass. The midrange was very detailed but a little harsh at the top end but I do feel that the cables were beginning to be the culprit. I think some decent Chord copper cables would sort this! Thease speakers gave me everything I wanted TBH; deep, solid and punchy bass, great midrange that loved deep male vocals and mellow female vocals, the treble was very good indeed and just needed a little calming.

Last but not least I demo'd the QUAD 22L2's; these blew me away in all honesty. Gorgeous looks, lovely size and finish (piano black but they had the 21L2's there as well in birdseye maple). The 22L2's really kicked out some welly; great bass that was tight and punchy but loved to be ushed IMO; very detailed and smooth midrange that gelled with all music thrown at them and their treble was precise and crisp.

I have to say that I'm mightly impressed with the NAD gear; the amps built like a tank and really drives speakers well. It's gutsy and certainly has some punch to it. The CDP is also superb; built solidly and delivers tracks with aplomb; great bass weight and detailed midrange. It doesnt drag the treble out at all but instead delivers it with ease and prowess!

I am having to go back as they didnt have the M/A RX6's in today so I'll demo them I think with the same gear and music but I really am stuck between the M/A RX2's, QUAD 22L2's and the B&W 683's. Today; these speakers sang to me very well indeed and I really liked them all!
emotion-2.gif

Some thinking is called for now I feel; demo's next week may be put on hold!!!

matthewpiano

Sounds like a good afternoon Dan. I think the NAD gear is very impressive for the money and very hard to beat.

I'm surprised Sight & Sound were using Chord cabling - they always used to use Nordost in the demonstration room.

Like me, I'm sure you'll be glad when you can settle down and enjoy listening to some music without all the hi-fi stuff getting in the way. I think its high time we both settled for a while instead of re-buying the same kit over and over again!!

Let us know how the thinking goes!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Cheers MP

I was surprised too as they said that they'd stopped using the Chord stuff and were all about Nordost and Black Rhodium!

I've been out for a leisurly drive with the missus tonight as she's had a **** day and I've been thinking a lot.

I will demo the B&W 683's again side by side with the QUAD 22L2's but for currently for their size and looks; the QUAD's are winning!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Do ya know PP... I dont think I can be bothered looking any more.

I've had all last night and today to mull over the systems I heard yesterday and I'm gonna go back not next week but the week after to demo the NAD gear along with the B&W 684's and 683's as well as the M/A RX6's and the QUAD 22L2's and leave it at that.

I've decided to go away next week for some respite and P&Q (should have been away this week but had too much on with work although the laptop comes with me so I'm never really away from work...
emotion-8.gif
)

I still feel that the NAD/QUAD combo gave me more or less everything I'm after so just need to qualify that with the other speakers and I think I'm done
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts