To repair or not to repair?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys some 2 years ago my Rotel RA 931 MK 11 suddenly stopped working, it switches on but no sound comes out. My question is is it likely that the repairing will cost me more than what i can recoup by selling it?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
hi fi newbie:Hi guys some 2 years ago my Rotel RA 931 MK 11 suddenly stopped working, it switches on but no sound comes out. My question is is it likely that the repairing will cost me more than what i can recoup by selling it?

As someone who works with software for a living I can tell you from years of experience, the best course of action is always to do nothing in case it fixes itself...

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Look for obvious things like blown internal fuses. Try the headphone output or different inputs to try to isolate where the problem lies. Test it with source, interconnect, speaker cable and speakers that are known to be working to ensure the fault lies with the amp.

Big disclaimer bit. Get an electrician or suitably qualified person in to:-

Look for components that are fried. Look for loose internal wires. Do all this with amp unplugged from the mains and don't go around touching the contacts on capacitors.

You might not be able to fix it yourself but you'll get a better understanding of what the problem is.

Unless it's something obvious or you know a hifi electronics guru it may well be scrap.

A

Anonymous

Yup that's what I thought, I haven't got the first clue about fixing or looking.

How much do you estimate it would cost to get an electrician to have a look at it?

If it's going to be quite a lot, I might just be better off giving this away
emotion-1.gif

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Do look for internal fuses.

Also, if you used headphones,give that socket a proddle. Sometimes they stay in the headphones on, speakers off position even when headphones are disconnected.

A

Anonymous

I will do more than a little prod to it in a minute if it doesn't play ball lol. I think you are right, from the way the sound suddenly cut out those 2 years ago, I think a fuse has blown on them.

Looks like this amp is destined for the scrap heap

A

Anonymous

I had the same thing with one of my first amps, a CA A5. A fuse had blown.

A

Anonymous

Guys is it dangerous for me to open the cover of the amp and remove the dust? i am doing so with a small fan as i noticed it was caked in dust. It does say not to open it but I am not fiddling with any wires and I have not got any liquid on it?

A

Anonymous

Not dangerous, just unplug it first(!). Dust isn't the problem though.

A

Anonymous

Right after doing that, I can hear something when the music plays but it's akin to when an analogue radio is suffering really bad reception, any suggestions what the problem is from that?

A

Anonymous

How would I use the headphones? when I put the headphones in, the sound still comes out of the speakers.

A

Anonymous

hi fi newbie:
ÿ

Right after doing that, I can hear something when the music plays but it's akin to when an analogue radio is suffering really bad reception, any suggestions what the problem is from that?

It's not at the output stage fuses then. Possibly a problem with the power supply.

Fenton Beasley

Dec 4, 2008
Visit site
hi fi newbie:Hi guys some 2 years ago my Rotel RA 931 MK 11 suddenly stopped working, it switches on but no sound comes out. My question is is it likely that the repairing will cost me more than what i can recoup by selling it?

I had a very similar problem to you. My Marantz PM7200 wouldn't play anything from any source. It would play with headphones, but nothing from the speakers. I took it in for repair and was told the output stage had blown. I have no idea what that is but I took his word for it.

It started being a bit crackly in the right channel a few weeks before it failed completely. It needed a while to warm up before the crackling stopped and then it would be ok. In the end it wouldn't work at all.

The bloke at the hifi shop fixed at a cost of £130.

Probably cheaper and easier to donate it to a charity rather than fix it and sell it.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Fenton Beasley:

Probably cheaper and easier to donate it to a charity rather than fix it and sell it.

- If you can find a charity that accepts broken equipment!
emotion-2.gif

You could try putting it on http://uk.freecycle.org rather than taking it to the tip.

A

Anonymous

Jesus lol, how about a suggestion of selling it for a nominal fee for spares?

A

Anonymous

The Rotel has 4 fuses, did you check to see if they were OK? Also, if that's the problem, it should be an inexpensive fix.

Alternatively, clean the amp and put it on ebay.

A

Anonymous

Define inexpensive, as was just mentioned in my first post on this thread if it costs more to fix than i can recoup by selling, then it's an exercise in futility. If that's the case, I might as well ebay it for spares
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Also the amp wouldn't work at all if a fuse had gone surely?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts