To buy or not to buy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
Vladimir said:
gel said:
Got any examples, please? Cheers

Sennheiser HD800. Why delay the inevitable? *biggrin*

Do you really have to buy something as soon as possible? Enjoy the research a bit. Its the journey, not the destination that matters.

I personally for $300 would go after a pair of AKG K712, MrSpeakers Mad Dogs, second hand HiFiMan HE-400 or Denon AH-D2000.
Cheers I will look them up. Yep, I am going to take my time with this one.
These are over the ear headphones I like on ear headphones. I recommendations for on ear headphones? Ta

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I only have the AKG K141 Monitor cans that are over ear. Love them to bits.

I think a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 II would be on my radar otherwise. For the looks a pair of V-Moda's most definitely and those B&Ws.

D

Deleted member 2457

Vladimir said:
I only have the AKG K141 Monitor cans that are over ear. Love them to bits.

I think a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 II would be on my radar otherwise. For the looks a pair of V-Moda's most definitely and those B&Ws.
Cheers Vlad.

D

Deleted member 2457

I think I would quite like to see the B&W p5 series 2 in a WHF group test, that should then show up any weaknesses.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Indoors all the time and I like on ear headphones. Cheers. I like a bit of noise isolation on them too.

[/quote]

If you only use them indoors, why do you need active noise isolation?

D

Deleted member 2457

relocated said:
Indoors all the time and I like on ear headphones. Cheers. I like a bit of noise isolation on them too.

If you only use them indoors, why do you need active noise isolation?

[/quote]I suppose I like watching the TV at the same time! *biggrin*

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I suppose I like watching the TV at the same time! *biggrin*

You want one of those newfangled TVs with a mute button or a volume control. ;-)

But seriously, noise cancelling won't do much to kill the sound of the TV if you want to listen to music at the same time: it's mainly designed for continuous droning such as plane/car/train engines or people telling you every example of a particular kind of equipment will sound the same. ;-)

You'd do much better to buy simple closed-back cans if you want to exclude (or at least attentuate) noise such as TVs, rather than bothering with noise cancelling designs.

D

Deleted member 2457

spiny norman said:
gel said:
I suppose I like watching the TV at the same time! *biggrin*

You want one of those newfangled TVs with a mute button or a volume control. ;-)

But seriously, noise cancelling won't do much to kill the sound of the TV if you want to listen to music at the same time: it's mainly designed for continuous droning such as plane/car/train engines or people telling you every example of a particular kind of equipment will sound the same. ;-)

You'd do much better to buy simple closed-back cans if you want to exclude (or at least attentuate) noise such as TVs, rather than bothering with noise cancelling designs.
Cheers Norman.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
It's not always about a deal Gel. Things are only good value if you are going to get good use out of them. I bought several bargain pairs of shoes a few years ago and have worn none of them. Bargain?

I could get myself loads of headphones and have one for electronic, one for vocals, one for cycling in, one for the tube, one for a rainy day...but I don't.

The old adage of buy well, buy once comes to mind.

D

Deleted member 2457

JoelSim said:
It's not always about a deal Gel. Things are only good value if you are going to get good use out of them. I bought several bargain pairs of shoes a few years ago and have worn none of them. Bargain?

I could get myself loads of headphones and have one for electronic, one for vocals, one for cycling in, one for the tube, one for a rainy day...but I don't.

The old adage of buy well, buy once comes to mind.
Yep, makes sense.

D

Deleted member 2457

I just sold my Bose headphones for what I paid for them, now I have some money to burn or save. *unknw*

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
I just sold my Bose headphones for what I paid for them, now I have some money to burn or save. *unknw*

In that case...can I interest you in...

No seriously save it for something that you are going to get some good use out of.

D

Deleted member 2457

The headphones have sold now, I have also decided I want the Bose quiet comfort 3 headphones, I don't find the B&W pair very comfortable on my ears, after demoing again. Anyone know where I can get the Bose ones cheap? They are in pretty short supply now as they are discountinued. Cheers.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
The headphones have sold now, I have also decided I want the Bose quiet comfort 3 headphones, I don't find the B&W pair very comfortable on my ears, after demoing again. Anyone know where I can get the Bose ones cheap? They are in pretty short supply now as they are discountinued. Cheers.

Have you tried over ear phones as you seem to have a comfort problem with on ears. I find them much more comfortable because they don't actually touch your ears. Just a thought.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Gel as sombody who has suffered depression for 10 years or so, (and I know your condition is far worse) id encourage you to focus on somthing. Go spend some of that money on a careers consultant, get him to write you a proffesional CV, take some tests as to a suitable ocupation this alone will give you focus and make you feel good about yourself. If your condition does not allow, how about starting to sell "stuff" on ebay. It certainly helps me when I have positive things to focus on and get exited about rather than the exitment of reciving gadgets. Little and atainable steps it will take time. I'm sorry if you think I'm interfering or lecturing, If you need some advise and think i might be able to help give me shout.

D

Deleted member 2457

pauln said:
gel said:

Have you tried over ear phones as you seem to have a comfort problem with on ears. I find them much more comfortable because they don't actually touch your ears. Just a thought.
Hi, Yep I have tried quite a few pairs now, I have found some more comfortable than others though with both on ear and around the ear. I found the Bose qc25 headphones comfortable and they are around ear. Did you have any in mind?

D

Deleted member 2457

iQ Speakers said:
Gel as sombody who has suffered depression for 10 years or so, (and I know your condition is far worse) id encourage you to focus on somthing. Go spend some of that money on a careers consultant, get him to write you a proffesional CV, take some tests as to a suitable ocupation this alone will give you focus and make you feel good about yourself. If your condition does not allow, how about starting to sell "stuff" on ebay. It certainly helps me when I have positive things to focus on and get exited about rather than the exitment of reciving gadgets. Little and atainable steps it will take time. I'm sorry if you think I'm interfering or lecturing, If you need some advise and think i might be able to help give me shout.
Hi, no that sounds like good advice. Cheers. I would like a part time office role but can't seem to find one. I saw a careers advisor and got some help with my CV. I have also been to Richmond Fellowship and Shaw Trusts, but they are more like job work programmes and keep hassling you. So I thought I would go alone. Most jobs I end up applying for though are ones I don't want and I don't even get an interview for those. At the moment I am not sure with jobs, I have gone back to doing self help groups again to see how that goes. Yep, I like eBay a lot and I sell on AV Forums too. I am running out of stuff to sell now though. Cheers.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
pauln said:
gel said:

Hi, Yep I have tried quite a few pairs now, I have found some more comfortable than others though with both on ear and around the ear. I found the Bose qc25 headphones comfortable and they are around ear. Did you have any in mind?

When I was looking, my favorites that I listened to were Sennheiser HD650 (which I eventually bought), Beyer dynamic DT880 and Shure SRH940. The Beyers were probably the most comfortable but that's not to say the others weren't although the Senns do clamp quite tightly. None of them touch your ears and press on them which is what I hate with the on-ear types. I understand you're using them indoors so don't really have to worry about open/closed or what they look like. The Beyers can be customised in all kinds of ways on their website and their build would probably appeal to you more than the Senns for example, which are a bit plasticky although for me they sound the best. Sensational for watching movies and TV, speech is crystal clear and they give a great sense of immersion in what you're watching. The Beyers and Shures are more analytical studio monitor types - depends what sort of sound you're after really.

I've listened to Bose QC many times and whilst they are brilliant on planes (I fly a lot!) they are no match for any of the above mentioned for pure sound quality. I would have them as well but taking two sets of phones with me everywhere plus a chunky work laptop, my Bose Computer Monitor speakers and ODAC really would leave little room in my case for clothes!

D

Deleted member 2457

pauln said:
gel said:
pauln said:
gel said:

When I was looking, my favorites that I listened to were Sennheiser HD650 (which I eventually bought), Beyer dynamic DT880 and Shure SRH940. The Beyers were probably the most comfortable but that's not to say the others weren't although the Senns do clamp quite tightly. None of them touch your ears and press on them which is what I hate with the on-ear types. I understand you're using them indoors so don't really have to worry about open/closed or what they look like. The Beyers can be customised in all kinds of ways on their website and their build would probably appeal to you more than the Senns for example, which are a bit plasticky although for me they sound the best. Sensational for watching movies and TV, speech is crystal clear and they give a great sense of immersion in what you're watching. The Beyers and Shures are more analytical studio monitor types - depends what sort of sound you're after really.

I've listened to Bose QC many times and whilst they are brilliant on planes (I fly a lot!) they are no match for any of the above mentioned for pure sound quality. I would have them as well but taking two sets of phones with me everywhere plus a chunky work laptop, my Bose Computer Monitor speakers and ODAC really would leave little room in my case for clothes!
Thanks for that, I will look them up. Cheers!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
pauln said:
gel said:
pauln said:
gel said:

Are you sure you're not mixing up the DT880 with the Custom One Pro model from Beyerdynamic?

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim said:
gel said:
pauln said:
gel said:
pauln said:
gel said:

Are you sure you're not mixing up the DT880 with the Custom One Pro model from Beyerdynamic?

Absolutely positive. Never looked at COP at all.

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/at-home/hifi-manufaktur/dt-880-manufaktur.html?options=cart

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts