Time to upgrade my home Cinema receiver?

dave63

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

my av receiver (Denon AVR 2801) dates back to 2000 and I think it's time to upgrade. The rest of my system currently comprises Mission speakers (773e floor standing sides, 77c1 centre speaker, and 77ds rears currently no subwoofer), Sony BDP S760 blu ray player and Sony KDL EX503 TV.

Obviously this technology has come on a lot in 13 years and aside from the obvious feature advances (net connectivity, video up scaling) will the difference in sound quality (now adding a subwoofer) be particularly noticeable and significant. I appreciate this may seem a silly question, and that sound quality can be a subjective thing, but I wouldn't want to spend the money and not see a significant difference.

I will keep my Mission speakers but would be looking to replace the receiver with either the Denon AVR X2000, Onkyo TX NR626 or Yamaha RX V575 and add a Wharfdale Powercube SP10 subwoofer. My listening room is not ideal for a 7:1 set up but I would like to future proof myself with that capability.

Grateful for any advice/opinions.

Thanks

Dave

Frazer1979

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Denon do still do some brilliant recievers however there are a lot of people who are now looking at Onkyo units. I found http://simplysoundandvision.co.uk/ to be really helpful with help buying an amp.

From past experience dont let some of the retailers out there dazzle you with science!! Its all a very simply art believe it or not.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
But now I'm getting suspicious... Bit dodgy to be praising up a retailer and posting links in your second post, particularly when said retailer used to be solely a reseller of a product you confess to being "in love" with...

Frazer1979

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
You are right and I am really sorry about how that has come over in two of my posts. These guys are local to where I live and have been very helpful in the past and continue to be.
I don’t want to cause embarrasment to myself, them or any forum members, if someone can edit my posts or tell me how I would be grateful.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
dave63 said:
Hello all,

my av receiver (Denon AVR 2801) dates back to 2000 and I think it's time to upgrade. The rest of my system currently comprises Mission speakers (773e floor standing sides, 77c1 centre speaker, and 77ds rears currently no subwoofer), Sony BDP S760 blu ray player and Sony KDL EX503 TV.

Obviously this technology has come on a lot in 13 years and aside from the obvious feature advances (net connectivity, video up scaling) will the difference in sound quality (now adding a subwoofer) be particularly noticeable and significant. I appreciate this may seem a silly question, and that sound quality can be a subjective thing, but I wouldn't want to spend the money and not see a significant difference.

I will keep my Mission speakers but would be looking to replace the receiver with either the Denon AVR X2000, Onkyo TX NR626 or Yamaha RX V575 and add a Wharfdale Powercube SP10 subwoofer. My listening room is not ideal for a 7:1 set up but I would like to future proof myself with that capability.

Grateful for any advice/opinions.

Thanks

Dave

Dave, adding a decent subwoofer will most definitely make a significant difference. You'll also benefit from improved HD audio on your BluRay discs (if your currently using your players multi-channel outputs then you'll likely find the new amp will do a much better job of the audio decoding). Lastly you'll get HDMI switching on the amp (useful if you wanted to add other kit such as a games console or an Apple TV box).

So basically, go for it!

:)

dave63

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all for your advice. I think I need to get along to my local dealer (Rayleigh Hi Fi) and get my ears in front of some of this gear and take things from there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts