Time to replace my Castle Kendal IIs?

ColourfulC

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Hello there - hoping for some advice and recommendations from knowlegable hi-fi folk.

Last year I put together a little stereo system piecemeal from eBay to listen to records - with a cheap 1980s solid state Yamaha amp, a Pro-Ject turntable, and some Castle Kendal II speakers which I found going for a very low price - less than £30!

It might not be a pro setup, but I'm no audiophile - and I like the way it sounds. But there's a problem - one of the tweeters on the Kendals is noticeably muted, like there's a lowpass filter on it. It does produce some sound, but it's clearly screwed.

Now. I don't know anything about speakers or fixing speakers, but it seems replacement tweeters go for over twice what I paid for the speakers. Even then, I don't have the skills to replace it. So - NEW SPEAKERS TIME.

But I love the sound of the Kendals. I'd like something similar - in terms of both size and sound. So I was hoping the people here could recommend something. Classic or modern doesn't really matter, as long as it's easily available. Budget is, let's say, no more than £200.

I mainly listen to jazz (modern, avant garde, free etc) and harder-edged rock music, if that makes a difference.

Alternatively, of course, if there's some sort of simple diagnostic or process I could follow to fix the Kendals, or at least figure out exactly what's wrong with them, please do let me know. But I have no understanding of wiring or soldering or fixing things.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum, cc.

Am I missing the point if I suggest buying another pair of Castles to use as a source of spares. With nasty cabinets you might get them for even less!

It is quite likely the tweeter has push on terminals, but I cannot be sure.

ColourfulC

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
It's certainly a possibility - there are a couple of sets on eBay at the moment but there are a few issues:

First, I've no idea what a good price is. Second, they are generally sold for collection only, and I don't own a car. And of course, as I mentioned before I have absolutely no experience mending speakers or doing any other kind of electrical work, so I wouldn't really know where to begin.

Ultimately I'm just hoping for suggestions of other models, and brands of a similar quality and with a similar sound, so I can widen my search for a decent set of speakers and not get ripped off.

Basically I'm completely clueless about speakers and just want something that sounds good and similar to what I already have. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS