Time to change approach?

matthewpiano

Most people here know my hi-fi history and box-swapping habits (!), and my preferences. I'm starting to review my whole approach, and I'm interested in any views you wish to share.

I have a very large CD collection (4,000+). I love the format and it includes some very nice classical box sets with 'coffee table' books included (Eg. DG Bernstein Edition, Complete Menuhin on Warner, Complete Alfred Brendel etc.), and some 'deluxe' editions of favourite pop/rock/folk albums (Tull, Crowded House, BJH etc.). Those I will always prefer to access by playing the CDs, and to be able to enjoy the music alongside the written and photographic content. I also have a decent collection of LPs (around 500) and a very good turntable, but I very rarely play them, partly because I often spend so long looking for the LP I want and it wastes listening time, so it's easier to reach for the CD or stream the music.

I'm never getting rid of my CDs and I'll always play them, but as much as I kid myself I am running out of space and I can't continue to expand the collection with new releases at the rate I have been doing. I have a very understanding partner, but if I go on too much longer recorded music will take over the house and I don't think either of us wants that. My vinyl and turntable aren't going anywhere either (partly for sentimental reasons), but whether I need to have it permanently out is another matter.

So...

I'm thinking that my future is likely to be a combination of enjoying the CDs I have, streaming to try new music, and buying the new music I like as hi-res downloads. I'm happy with streaming and, having tried most platforms I'm convinced Bluesound is the best one, but I can never work out what I need to store and play hi-res downloads (with back-ups). I'd also like to reduce the pile of equipment and make the whole thing a little more discrete in order to place the focus as completely as possible on the music.

The options I'm considering...

1. Another Powernode 2i (the same as I have upstairs), with my CD6007 and passive speakers.
or
2. Dali Oberon 1C Actives with the Sound Hub including BluOS module, and my CD6007.
or
3. Dynaudio XEO 10 with Connect box and my existing Node 2i and CD6007.

Thoughts? What would I need in the way of NAS and back-up to make the hi-res download side work? Am I thinking along the right lines to achieve a more manageable but still enjoyable system?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 116933

@matthewpiano "Thoughts? What would I need in the way of NAS and back-up to make the hi-res download side work? Am I thinking along the right lines to achieve a more manageable but still enjoyable system?"

In my opinion, forget the bluesound (sorry) and get a mac mini m1 run headless with audirvana running time machine for the backups or an intel nuc running roon rock with a hard drive attached (basically a roon nucleus). Save all this NAS bull it's just not needed these days as your collection gets bigger just attach a raid array for sequential backups make sure the drives are hot-swappable

Nas and raid arrays will cost more than your hifi

Get a more traditional amp or the active route you're thinking about

Sorry probably not what you want to hear

gasolin

kef LS 50 wireless ? kiss

Should be all most would need

If you want passive why not an amp with bt (upgrade not just buy a different amp because of bt)

My Rotel A11 tribute has 2 pair of binding posts and can handle 2 ohm loads so you can use 2 pair of speakers or just on pair at a time and bt

matthewpiano

@matthewpiano "Thoughts? What would I need in the way of NAS and back-up to make the hi-res download side work? Am I thinking along the right lines to achieve a more manageable but still enjoyable system?"

In my opinion, forget the bluesound (sorry) and get a mac mini m1 run headless with audirvana running time machine for the backups or an intel nuc running roon rock with a hard drive attached (basically a roon nucleus). Save all this NAS bull it's just not needed these days as your collection gets bigger just attach a raid array for sequential backups make sure the drives are hot-swappable

Nas and raid arrays will cost more than your hifi

Get a more traditional amp or the active route you're thinking about

Sorry probably not what you want to hear

I'm less interested in what I want to hear, and more interested in finding the correct solutions, so thank you!

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by 'headless'?
Also, could all this be operated from a phone/tablet?

matthewpiano

kef LS 50 wireless ? kiss

Should be all most would need

If you want passive why not an amp with bt (upgrade not just buy a different amp because of bt)

My Rotel A11 tribute has 2 pair of binding posts and can handle 2 ohm loads so you can use 2 pair of speakers or just on pair at a time and bt

Thanks for the input, but Bluetooth isn't high enough quality.

I'm not interested in the LS50 wireless. As much as I like the sound of the Metas I don't like the drive units being on display and so vulnerable.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I saw your question on another forum but it's clearer here what you need. Obviously you love cds, a question for you, do you notice a sound quality difference between cds you listen to and hi re stuff you buy, because if you don't, with 4000 cds it would seem you have a regular outlay of money on music?

jjbomber

3. Dynaudio XEO 10 with Connect box and my existing Node 2i and CD6007.

Thoughts? What would I need in the way of NAS and back-up to make the hi-res download side work? Am I thinking along the right lines to achieve a more manageable but still enjoyable system?
Gets my vote, as I have the XEO6 with Connect box. Saying that the Dali actives are worth an audition as well. Either one really; they're your ears not mine.

I am in similar territory, about 4,000 physical CDs and about 3.000 concerts on the NAS drive. I need to live until I'm 170 to listen to it all. I use an Oppo DVD as a pre-amp to the Connect and do all my streaming that way. Ironically you can still read the CD or album as you listen to the stream.

D

Deleted member 116933

I'm less interested in what I want to hear, and more interested in finding the correct solutions, so thank you!

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by 'headless'?
Also, could all this be operated from a phone/tablet?

You answered your own question, no monitor just phone and tablet but CAN be connected to a monitor/tv if you wish

Reactions: matthewpiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts