Time to add a DAC

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I really enjoy my CD73 but always wonder whether the sound could be improved. I also use Spotify Premium through the AE which I find rather wooly by comparison. I therefore wonder whether I should be looking at a DAC. I am considering the rDac and the Musical Fidelity M1. Computer listening would be via the AE as iMac is upstairs in study whereas the listening room is downstairs, this means the usb connection is not so important but might be occasionally used by friends who don't have Airfoil when they bring there laptops round.

Wondering whether the rDac would improve the CD73 and what sort of effect the M1 would have. It is difficult for me to audition either. My local Arcam dealer seems to have changed recently from being a very friendly shop to on enquiring about the rDac said he could order one for sale but was not carrying any due to low demand and had I considered a Linn system!!! My nearest Musical Fidelity dealer is some way away therefore looking for some clues.

Thanks

jimbofisher:
I really enjoy my CD73 but always wonder whether the sound could be improved. I also use Spotify Premium through the AE which I find rather wooly by comparison. I therefore wonder whether I should be looking at a DAC. I am considering the rDac and the Musical Fidelity M1. Computer listening would be via the AE as iMac is upstairs in study whereas the listening room is downstairs, this means the usb connection is not so important but might be occasionally used by friends who don't have Airfoil when they bring there laptops round.

Wondering whether the rDac would improve the CD73 and what sort of effect the M1 would have. It is difficult for me to audition either. My local Arcam dealer seems to have changed recently from being a very friendly shop to on enquiring about the rDac said he could order one for sale but was not carrying any due to low demand and had I considered a Linn system!!! My nearest Musical Fidelity dealer is some way away therefore looking for some clues.

Thanks

Hi jimbofisher

I would suggest that you also consider Rega's new DAC.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Whatever you choose, have no doubts that using Airport Express via a DAC to your amp will effect a huge improvement in sound quality. On my system, Spotify Premium certainly isn't as good as the same track played on CD, but the experience is perfectly enjoyable and vastly better than before.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for these and I will certainly try the Rega, seems I am able to more easily than the M1.

My main query, and why I posted in 'hi-fi' rather than computer music is what sort of impact these would have on my CD73 through the A80?

Thanks

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
As you can see from my sig, I now have a Rega Saturn - a big improvement over my previous Arcam CD72 (very similar, by all accounts, to the CD72). There is a much better tonal balance and the soundstage is in a different class. I understand (from other postings) that the Rega DAC may even be a step up from the Saturn. If that is the case, I would imagine that you will benefit hugely from the change.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts