Time for a rant - you might want to avert your eyes...

I get the impression many of us here are not exactly in the first flush of youth - so do any of you remember watching the Beeb's Horizon when you were younger? It used to be excellent - informative without being patronising. But every time I watch one now, I vow never to bother again. And each time, usually after a few years, I repeat the mistake.

Just watched the last one about the dwarf planet Pluto, and lawks, it was frustrating. There was some interesting stuff in it, but as usual:

- continuous music.
- leaden, melodramatic narration.
- factual inaccuracies.
- considerable exaggeration.
- utter hyperbole.

I realise that science isn't everyone's cup of tea, and appreciate that the great science communicators (Attenborough, Brian Cox etc) arguably do the most good when they communicate with the largest audiences, but is this really the best they can do?

Rant over!

I get the impression many of us here are not exactly in the first flush of youth - so do any of you remember watching the Beeb's Horizon when you were younger? It used to be excellent - informative without being patronising. But every time I watch one now, I vow never to bother again. And each time, usually after a few years, I repeat the mistake.

Just watched the last one about the dwarf planet Pluto, and lawks, it was frustrating. There was some interesting stuff in it, but as usual:

- continuous music.
- leaden, melodramatic narration.
- factual inaccuracies.
- considerable exaggeration.
- utter hyperbole.

I realise that science isn't everyone's cup of tea, and appreciate that the great science communicators (Attenborough, Brian Cox etc) arguably do the most good when they communicate with the largest audiences, but is this really the best they can do?

Rant over!
Received and understood, glad I missed it.

D

Deleted member 108165

Always loved the sciences so Horizon was always a must see for me but must admit that I haven't watched it in ages. Might just have to watch this episode to see what I think.

I do like Attenborough but I'm getting a little fed up with continually being told off by him about how I've screwed up the planet.

Reactions: Gray
The trick is not to take it personally - all you can do as an individual is, well, all you can do.

I have almost all the Attenborough and Cox series and they've kept me sane whilst on the exercise bike!

Horizon is on iPlayer - I looked to see if it were possible to leave a review, but alas not.

Gray

...do any of you remember watching the Beeb's Horizon when you were younger?
Yes, that and Tomorrows World were required viewing for me.

(I should be proud to say that I won the school prize for achievement in science - but the 'achievement' was turning up for the lessons - and they had to give the prize to someone).

Horizon now seems to be on at random times on different channels - and often I find I've seen it before. As with much TV now, it's a case of style over substance. I don't much care for the style and there's often little substance.

D

Deleted member 108165

Me too. We've got the message - it spoils the programme.
Besides, I prefer to hear it from Greta :LOL:
Schoolkids bunking off to march against climate change......don't get me started.
I was going to mention Greta too but thought better of it, she p's me off greatly :) Notice she has gone very quiet of late, hurrah!

Reactions: Gray

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Always loved the sciences so Horizon was always a must see for me but must admit that I haven't watched it in ages. Might just have to watch this episode to see what I think.

I do like Attenborough but I'm getting a little fed up with continually being told off by him about how I've screwed up the planet.
That's because you have and need to be told off. Attenborough has to take some responsibility too as he a flown by plane a lot to all parts of the world to make this TV programs over the decades and as far as I can see he is not saying I should not have flown as much as I did in big polluting planes.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Me too. We've got the message - it spoils the programme.
Besides, I prefer to hear it from Greta :LOL:
Schoolkids bunking off to march against climate change......don't get me started.
The only thing school is for is teaching propaganda so she's much better skipping it. I learned everything important outside of school. Don't get me started on old men who like to have a moan about a young girl trying to do good white voting Tory and for Brexit which does no good ever.

That's because you have and need to be told off. Attenborough has to take some responsibility too as he a flown by plane a lot to all parts of the world to make this TV programs over the decades and as far as I can see he is not saying I should not have flown as much as I did in big polluting planes.
He has, actually. Whenever there's a new Attenborough series, he's always interviewed in RT and has made that observation. You'll also see that latter series he is usually just narrating (I.e. not on location), and A Perfect Planet's narration was recorded in his garden.

Gray

The only thing school is for is teaching propaganda so she's much better skipping it. I learned everything important outside of school. Don't get me started on old men who like to have a moan about a young girl trying to do good white voting Tory and for Brexit which does no good ever.
I don't remember you getting involved during the Brexit discussions here on the forum. Just as well you didn't though.

By the way, I've got nothing against the girl (Greta) herself.
It's all the virtue signalling kids, parents and others that I detest (all of whom pollute the planet far more than I do, I can absolutely assure you of that).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts