time for a new integrated

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi, i have a rega rp3 hooked up to a marantz pm 5004 with dali zensor 1 speakers, it's ok but i feel the amp is a bit lacklustre, i want something with a bit more punch and grip, sometimes the marantz just seems to lose control especially in the bass department, i listen to mainly classic rock and acoustic music so detail is important, another area where i feel the marantz is lacking, i have a sort of short list of ca azur 651a, nad 355bee and a rotel ra 10, i would like a bit of power on tap which the rotel is a bit short of but am willing to overlook that as i know of it's sound quality, what are your thought's. budget up to £500.

matthewpiano

Do yourself a favour and seek out an audition of the Exposure 1010. It does everything you are looking for in spades and the music simply pours out of it. It will really grip your speakers as well. I've heard many sub £1k amplifiers and the 1010 is up there with the best. I wouldn't change mine for anything short of an Exposure 3010s2 or Creek Destiny 2 now, and they are both £1500-ish amps. It is 50wpc but sounds like more and has plenty of current on tap. It nearly doubles to 95wpc into 4 ohms (as measured in a HFW review).

Short of that, Rotel are worth a listen and will grip much more tightly than your Marantz. Good phono stage too (one of the best integrated phono stages in a budget amp, alongside Arcam's).

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I would avoid the CA amp if you want hard hitting punch in the bass, its got as much punch as a wet lettuce

Mine went back the day after

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Do yourself a favour and seek out an audition of the Exposure 1010. It does everything you are looking for in spades and the music simply pours out of it. It will really grip your speakers as well. I've heard many sub £1k amplifiers and the 1010 is up there with the best. I wouldn't change mine for anything short of an Exposure 3010s2 or Creek Destiny 2 now, and they are both £1500-ish amps. It is 50wpc but sounds like more and has plenty of current on tap. It nearly doubles to 95wpc into 4 ohms (as measured in a HFW review).

Short of that, Rotel are worth a listen and will grip much more tightly than your Marantz. Good phono stage too (one of the best integrated phono stages in a budget amp, alongside Arcam's).
Sorry should have said i need tone and balance controls (i am going a bit deaf in one ear) and a headphone socket, thanks for suggestion though, heard an exposure many years ago, wonderful amps.

matthewpiano

Fair enough Gregory.

In that case I'd strongly commend Rotel to you. Great amps in my experience.

Actually I'd also be inclined to consider NAD. The C326BEE is still available and is a very punchy, musical amplifier. It can get a bit un-refined in the bass but I actually suspect it could partner well with your Dali speakers. Worth a try anyway. Of course there is also the new D3020, though I haven't heard that.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
The Rotel should provide a more punchy sound, that should be your priority amp to demo,......

.... but, if you can add the Marantz Pm6005 just for curiosty you might be surprised, it will sound crisper with more punch added than your 5004 , WHF seem to think its a step up over the Rotel as an all rounder,but the rotel still has slightly more in the 'punch' dept, the marantz winning in other areas, so much that the rotel has been stripped of a star lol, but only your ears know whats best for you

Most of the new amp suggestions here will be better than the 5004, have you consisered going second hand btw

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
would prefer new, waf springs to mind, how is the yam that you have, i also have the ca 651 phono stage and use a shure m97 ex cartridge which i must say is excellent with the rega, the yam has plenty of power i know but how is the detail, does it have what i'm after, sorry to ask but at present i am laid up and cant go for an audition so am looking for suggestions although i might wait a bit until i'm back on my feet to arrange some auditions.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
if you cant audition, your safest bet is still the Rotel even though you will not need its phono stage now, the CA phono will be just as good if not better, The Rotel has the tone controls and balance you need , even though they are more gentle than most giving only 6db cut and boost as opposed to 10db by most others, although that should be well sufficent,

As for my AS500 i think would give it a listen first, not sure how it would gel with Dali, some describe it as harsh in the treble, but i dont find this, although the silky tweeters and weighty sounding twin bass drivers in my acoustic energies may be tempering it, it sounds detailed and sweet to me, and it has usable tone controls, although i only tend to lift the bass slightly at low listening levels,, the loudness control is a waste of time mind you, sounding bloated

someone mentioned the pioneer A50 too, good call

But...... this is only my opinion and I might get lambated for it, but only bigger speakers will provide the real punch in the gut, small bookshelves never cut it for me even with powerful amps, its the law of physics, and its very room dependant too

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts