Time flies by

John Duncan

My Spotify subscription came up for renewal today, which marks a year without having bought a single CD. Have renewed, but only a month at a time - I can feel another big player coming into the market soon...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:a year without having bought a single CD.

Hmmm.

Odd.

I have a subscription and hardly ever use it. Not a great use of funds.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
JoelSim:I have a subscription and hardly ever use it. Not a great use of funds.

Especially when you could be spending the money on cables instead.

Quite right. I think the last time I used it at home was the England v USA world cup match. I use it at work occasionally but that doesn't really count.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
By the way, what about this for a bargain?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120615943939&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1154

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
i only really understand spotify as a means of trying before i buy. i mean, why would i want my whole collection to be at the mercy of a net connectio, somoene elses servers and software etc...?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
al7478:i only really understand spotify as a means of trying before i buy. i mean, why would i want my whole collection to be at the mercy of a net connectio, somoene elses servers and software etc...?

I agree.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Lucky they have offline playlists then...

And are these are on your system in the form of music files that you have paid for that can be played when the service is down?

Can you move them to another computer - if needed - and burn them to a CD or import them to iTunes?

Will they remain yours if you stop subscribing after the minimum contract period elapses?

John Duncan

Well they're playable if the service is down, but I can't burn them, no, unless I buy them from 7Digital or whoever their partner is. But they're playable without a network connection in all the places that I want to play them (at home and on my iPhone), and all for 120 quid a year.

A

Anonymous

"Lucky they have offline playlists then..."

amen to that.

Here in the Middle East internet connections are generally a) a lot slower than in the UK/Europe/USA. b) somewhat unreliable and c) damned expensive think the equivalent of 50 GBP a month for a theoretical 2MB d/l which realistically is proably about an actual 500/600 KB download particularly in the evening when I'm likely to use it most.

So Spotify off-line mode is a godsend. I'm at work currently listening to Norah Jones on my Touch with my new Bose QC15's and I have to say I find it hard if not impossible to distinguish between the 320 Ogg Vobis Spotify track and same track ripped losslessy (ALAC). Over and above that apart from a minor CD buying spree whenever I travel home to the UK or in Europe I don't (here in Saudi Arabia) have the option to buy much in the way of music other than via the internet. As I'm not interested in 128 mp3 downloads from the likes of iTunes or Napster and there isn't that great a range (currently) on the sites offering higher bitrate files Spotify off line mode works just fine.

Given that most people probably couldn't distinguish between a good 320 rip (let alone lossless) under most circumstances one has to wonder about the long term future of the CD format anyway. Will it not in the very near future join vinyl in the segment of the market marked "audiophiles and assorted "golden eared" anal obsessives" Just a thought.

I've done the whole audiophool bit through various Thorens, Rega and yes even the fabled Sondek turntables. I've had Linn, Nain (the original Nait) Nytech, Aura hairshirt design amps to a man. More speakers than I care to remember, spent hours setting my VTA and cleaning my records, I've banished all other transducers from my "listening room" on the advice of the HiFi sages of the time (who now it turns out where taking the **** anyway) aghhhhh it was just too much of a faff.

Now I find myself listening to and enjoying more music across a wider spectrum of musical genre than ever before because it's all just so accessible and set to become more so because effectively the content providers drive the internet.

Enjoy the music or enjoy fiddling with your equipment, find a happy medium, whatever blows your hair back but don't take it too seriously.

A

Anonymous

If you ever work how that remote app works I'd love to know. I've resorted to running Spotify on a wirelessly networked Asus laptop that either sits by the side of my bed or on the coffee table in the lounge. Its got a ULV processor so battery life isn't a problem but it would be handy to have a usable remote control app for Spotify. Still when Spotify comes to Sonos at the end of the month I might buy a couple of Z90 for use out here and use the Sonos app.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
2oldnslow:
If you ever work how that remote app works I'd love to know. I've resorted to running Spotify on a wirelessly networked Asus laptop that either sits by the side of my bed or on the coffee table in the lounge. Its got a ULV processor so battery life isn't a problem but it would be handy to have a usable remote control app for Spotify. Still when Spotify comes to Sonos at the end of the month I might buy a couple of Z90 for use out here and use the Sonos app.

I had a play with the Sonos iPad App at IFA. It's a beauty...

A

Anonymous

Ohhhh no Clare you had to do it didn't you. I've been trying to talk myself out of an iPad for ages. Now as the number of my colleagues buying them increases and with it my "technolust" I feel it's only right and proper I see what all the fuss is about
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

2oldnslow:Now as the number of my colleagues buying them increases and with it my "technolust"&nbsp
emotion-1.gif

Technolust, fantastic, I and most people on here have Technolust!
emotion-5.gif
Great word!

idc

Spotified for must be two years now. I have bought the odd CD, for the car (Top Gear/Dads/1980s favourites, that kind of thing).

It is a shame that Premium can only be had monthly and not the discounted annual payment.

I don't mind not having CDs anymore as they are only yours if you have paid for them, like the music on Spotify. They sound as good as the music on Spotify. I have access to a ton of music any time I want, not like CDs.

It has been worth it just to find and access the joy that is the Scandinavian progressive rock scene. None of the bands I listen to now are readily available on CD, unless it is expensive, occasionally available orders off Amazon.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Fair point John and I discovered whilst talking to a spotify and lastfm user yesterday that I haven't tapped anywhere near the full potential of wither.

Even so, I don't see myself using them as my main source of music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts