Tidal price increase for using your iPad IOS app

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I thought I would start up my Tidal account again but put the brakes on when I see what the price is for tidal hifi now which is £25.99 a month I was quite shocked at the price as it was only a couple of months ago when I tried the service it was £20 a month .

is it really worth that a month ?

insider9

Ok, just done a quick Google. Do it from your laptop. If you do it from an Apple device it will indeed cost you more. Apple takes a cut.

Sign up on your PC and enter credentials into iPad and/or your streamer. You will be paying £19.99.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Ok, just done a quick Google. Do it from your laptop. If you do it from an Apple device it will indeed cost you more. Apple takes a cut.

Sign up on your PC and enter credentials into iPad and/or your streamer. You will be paying £19.99.
http://www.harderbloggerfaster.com/2015/04/tidal-has-raised-its-prices-by-30-after-just-one-month/

found this on the internet indeed apple is taking a £5 for the luxury of using tidal they are very greedy apple .

so my only way of using tidal is from my laptop and I can’t use my iPad because it will cost me extra for using the app instead ?

insider9

See top of that link says:

TIDAL Has Explained The Price Increases – As With All IOS Apps That Use In-App Purchases For The Monthly Subscription, Apple Takes A Fee, So It Would Appear That The Increase Is TIDAL Simply Passing That Along Onto The User. But, Crucially, They Have Said If You Subscribe Via Their Website, You’ll Only Pay The Original Launch Price Of: $9.99 $19.99/ £9.99/£19.99.

Sign up from your laptop. Enter payment details etc. Then login to your iPad using these credentials.

If that doesn't work I'd be selling the iPad as I wouldn't pay extra £6 a month for the privilige.

EDIT

By the way this article is from 2015

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
See top of that link says:

TIDAL Has Explained The Price Increases – As With All IOS Apps That Use In-App Purchases For The Monthly Subscription, Apple Takes A Fee, So It Would Appear That The Increase Is TIDAL Simply Passing That Along Onto The User. But, Crucially, They Have Said If You Subscribe Via Their Website, You’ll Only Pay The Original Launch Price Of: $9.99 $19.99/ £9.99/£19.99.

Sign up from your laptop. Enter payment details etc. Then login to your iPad using these credentials.

If that doesn't work I'd be selling the iPad as I wouldn't pay extra £6 a month for the privilige.
I think it’s a bit unfair of apple to do this as the uk pays more on the monthly plan then the U.S does without apple added a charge to use a IOS app

insider9

I'm sure I will be telling my wife to check her annual subscriptions now as I know they are being charged annually. Never realised prices may vary. She no longer uses any Apple products so not interested to pay them any money.

I just signed up for the 90 day free trial through my iPhone but via the naim app which has native support for tidal and it came up at £19.99 per month after trial.....if your yamaha has an app with tidal support this might be a way of working around the extra tariff.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
But I reckon the price will change on all platforms but tidal hasn’t changed it yet I might be wrong but that’s what I think

yes your right Mark my Yamaha wxc50 does have tidal I will try tomorrow and sign in on the Yamaha instead but wanted to use my iPad as the remote for selecting the albums

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This why you should buy CD’s and rip them to FLAC. When I first signed up to Sky it was about £16/month for everything. Now it is five times that and BT have almost all of the decent football. Subscriptions are a mugs game and should be avoided at all costs. Use the free Spotify service to try music before you buy, and then procure second hand CD’s for a couple of quid from Amazon or eBay. Why would you leave a commercial enterprise in charge of your access rights to music? Crazy bonkers and so, so, so obvious where it will end up.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Gazzip said:
This why you should buy CD’s and rip them to FLAC. When I first signed up to Sky it was about £16/month for everything. Now it is five times that and BT have almost all of the decent football. Subscriptions are a mugs game and should be avoided at all costs. Use the free Spotify service to try music before you buy, and then procure second hand CD’s for a couple of quid from Amazon or eBay. Why would you leave a commercial enterprise in charge of your access rights to music? Crazy bonkers and so, so, so obvious where it will end up.
this is the trouble I do buy a lot of CDs still but been watching the loudness war thing on YouTube and what ever you buy on cd is heavily compressed .

i was just wondering if you can buy software to uncompress the music in anyway to make it more dynamic ?

insider9

The price is unlikely to change. It's solely to do with Apple and nothing to do with Tidal. Unfair competition as Apple has their own streaming service.

The link you've provided is 3 years old. So if Tidal wanted to up their subscription they would've done so by now.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
The price is unlikely to change. It's solely to do with Apple and nothing to do with Tidal. Unfair competition as Apple has their own streaming service.

The link you've provided is 3 years old. So if Tidal wanted to up their subscription they would've done so by now.
true but they have definitely increased the app price that’s new

insider9

Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:

Once again this news for iOS is 3 years old. Check out many articles on the web about this from April 2015. You only see it as an increase as you only found out about it. For anyone else this has been the price they've been paying.

And no I don't think that's either fair or appropriate but that's something you have to live with on iOS and luckily there's a way round it... This time

Unless we're talking about two different things I'm not sure where this new price increase is.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Gazzip said:

I couldn't agree more. I had a subscription with Qobuz for a year a few years back and it was good, but it felt odd not actually owning anything.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:

Once again this news for iOS is 3 years old. Check out many articles on the web about this from April 2015. You only see it as an increase as you only found out about it. For anyone else this has been the price they've been paying.

And no I don't think that's either fair or appropriate but that's something you have to live with on iOS and luckily there's a way round it... This time

Unless we're talking about two different things I'm not sure where this new price increase is.
when I started my free trial of tidal about 2 months ago I am pretty sure I started the trial on my iPad but it said £20 a month back then but says says a different price now .

i totally understand that the link I put on here is 3 years old but it’s the first time I’ve seen £25.99

insider9

I would not pay Apple any more as they ultimately don't provide you with anything in this instance. You already paid for the tablet. In fact should I still own any of their products I'd sell them in protest. Not encouraging you to by any means.

Legitimate question would be how many times are they charging you extra just because you decided to use their products? Is it not an illegal practice (read anti competitive) when they add a surcharge on competitors streaming service but not their own?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
I would not pay Apple any more as they ultimately don't provide you with anything in this instance. You already paid for the tablet. In fact should I still own any of their products I'd sell them in protest. Not encouraging you to by any means.

Legitimate question would be how many times are they charging you extra just because you decided to use their products? Is it not an illegal practice (read anti competitive) when they add a surcharge on competitors streaming service but not their own?
I used to have a iMac but not anymore now me and the wife have a iPad each as it’s good to watch tv and films in bed and the fact I use mine for selecting music but also my daughter likes the iPad for kids YouTube and games so hard to breakaway from apple all together .

But I do not like apple like I used to they have got far to greedy I think

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Gazzip said:
this is the trouble I do buy a lot of CDs still but been watching the loudness war thing on YouTube and what ever you buy on cd is heavily compressed .

i was just wondering if you can buy software to uncompress the music in anyway to make it more dynamic ?

...but do they sound heavily compressed, because that is the acid test. Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories CD doesn’t score too well on compression, but it sounds mint. There are some horror story CD’s out there, but don’t believe everything you see on a chart.

insider9

Blacksabbath25 said:
Any recommendations for ripping cds to flac files for windows 10  insider ?  Software wise 
Sure if you haven't tried it I'd recommend dbPoweramp. It has a fully functional free trial so you can see if you like it. There isn't a limit as to how many albums you can rip during a trial.

D

Deleted member 108165

insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Any recommendations for ripping cds to flac files for windows 10 insider ? Software wise
Sure if you haven't tried it I'd recommend dbPoweramp. It has a fully functional free trial so you can see if you like it. There isn't a limit as to how many albums you can rip during a trial.

I think the native WMP on Windows 10 now rips straight to flac. Never used dbPoweramp, but I refuse to pay for a ripper so I use EAC; I believe they both use the same Accuraterip database. I often wonder if the end product with all these rippers is any different whether they be free or subs based.

D

Deleted member 108165

Gazzip said:
...but do they sound heavily compressed, because that is the acid test. Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories CD doesn’t score too well on compression, but it sounds mint. There are some horror story CD’s out there, but don’t believe everything you see on a chart.

Some don't sound bad at all until you compare them with the original release or re-issue of the original. I'm slowly working my way through my CD collection replacing remasters with originals where I can.

D

Deleted member 108165

Blacksabbath25 said:

Even more of a reason to buy used rather than new. Since mid-90's it's all got rather too loud for my liking.

Five years ago I bought eight newly released SHM remasters from Japan, they were damned expensive but everyone was raving about them so I took the plunge... Loud as hell. Just out of interest I put them through Audacity... five out of the eight albums all showed they had been pushed so far that they manifested severe clipping in the waveform. It was too late to send them back but these were bone fide releases by Universal Japan. I'll never purchase another album that's been remastered.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts