Thoughts on the Denon CEOL Piccolo N4?

daanodinot

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Ever since it's been announced, it has been pretty much quiet around Denon's new Piccolo N4. Even though it's been out for quite some time, I haven't come across a single review.

Perhaps it's just me, but it seems if you're looking for an attractive all-in-one (well, besides speakers) system with Airplay, Bluetooth, Spotify, internet radio and more, it doesn't get any better than this. Of course, we'll to wait for the reviews to find out if the sound quality is any good.

I know many people on this forum, wouldn't consider this device to be hi-fi and would have no interest in it. But besides that, what are you thoughts? Would I be crazy to buy it right now?

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
IMO ? Yes you would , for this reason :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Denon-Piccolo-DRA-N5-Networked-System-White/dp/B00AIM93IA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1420130563&sr=8-4&keywords=denon+dra+n5

Half the price of it's replacement , you can get it in black for about the same , but that said don't you have the Marantz 610 already ?

James

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the Denon Ceol N8, the previous model with a cd player, and can tell you that the sound quality is extremly good (and sounds the same as its comparable Denon Piccolo model), and do not believe they have changed the sound for the newer model, so yes your Denon Ceol Piccolo N4 should sound just as good as my unit, really you will not have a problem with the sound quality, just get some good speakers, I use Dali Zensor 1's

Also as in the previous members above comment you could buy the previous piccolo model, as stated for just £169, and it should sound the same as the recent version you are looking at *smile*

daanodinot

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! Yes, I recently bought the Marantz M-CR610. It's an excellent device, but turns out to be bit overkill for what I need. I don't use the radio functions (FM, AM, DAB) – just internet radio. I also don't play CDs as often as I'd have thought. Although I collect CDs, I most often choose to rip them and put it on a NAS. I do this not least because Marantz doesn't support CD-Text, which is a real shame. And of course, it involves less risk to damage the disk.

This would leave the Marantz M-CR510 as an option, but unfortunately the lack of bluetooth can be a problem. It's fine for me, since I have an iPhone, but when you have a friend over with an Android phone, it's not ideal.

Basically, what I need is: Airplay, Bluetooth, internet radio and 1x digital input (for my PC). You know what I'm getting at! The Piccolo N4 seems just the attractive box that I need to deliver all this.

BTW, I have speakers already: the Concept 20 (with dedicated stands). Those I'm definitely going to keep!

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
KeyMs92 said:
Basically, what I need is: Airplay, Bluetooth, internet radio and 1x digital input (for my PC). You know what I'm getting at! The Piccolo N4 seems just the attractive box that I need to deliver all this.

Nice to see more compact devices like this ... but missing a couple of important features for me ... broadcast radio (DAB/FM/AM) and aptX codec for the Bluetooth connection. MIght be worth considering after the obligatory 6-9 month price drop.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts