Thoughts on Integrated upgrade

mr_baker644

Nov 1, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, first post and all that so hello...

I'll try to make a long story short.... I'm upgrading my RP1 and looked at options, finally deciding to audition a Planar 3 against the Planar 6 to see if it's worth spending more. This got me thinking about upgrading my Mira 3 for something with less of a laid-back presentation, with more lively but neutral characteristics. A new amp would have to partner well with my restored HB1's (new original replacement drivers and sentimental value means I'm not changing them).

The HiFi dealer I go to recommended auditioning the Elex-R as it'll fit my requirements, however I always liked the idea of Naim - herein lies the problem. This hifi dealer no longer stocks Naim (long story). Before I rack up miles finding places to get the right setup to audition the new XS3, do people have experience of comparing this (or the XS2) to the Elex-R? If so, what are the differences in sonic characteristics?

WH seems a tad biased when it comes to reviews of Naim gear IMHO.

I'm expecting subjective responses but that's all part of the fun!

Reactions: MUSICRAFT

SHaines

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2019
Visit site
Hey there!

Thanks so much for taking the time to be part of the community. I don't have experience with that specific comparison, but I'm hoping you'll be able to find the info you need from other readers. Once you've made a decision, be sure to update us here so we can benefit from your research.

Thanks!

Not directly compared them but I would say that the Mira 3 is lively and closer to neutral in its presentation whereas the Elex-R is overall softer and warmer tonal balance.

Compared the Elex-R to the Nait XS 1 and Nait XS2 and the Naim’s are smooth, punchy and energetic.

Btw, we’re not dealing with Rega.

matthewpiano

Speaking as an Elex-R owner, it's very talented in so many ways but it does paint with quite a broad brush. I've tried it with a range of speakers and it can have a tendency to sound on the heavy, claustrophobic side. I personally find Rotel strikes a better balance, offering greater openness and subtlety overall - and that's just with a RA-01...

Reactions: MUSICRAFT
The Rega Elex-R will give you better bass control than the Naim for starters. How the Elex-R compares to the Mira, I can’t say. The last £1k amp comparison I did at my previous employer a few years ago saw the Elex-R sound better, to my ears, than the rest I tried (Naim, Roksan, Arcam).

I’ve just checked, and I can’t believe the XS3 is now £2200! At that sort of price point, there’s a whole raft of overlooked amplifiers, some of which haven’t received a price increase in 5 years or so. The Bel Canto C5i is an exceptionally good Class D amplifier which bears all the positive traits of Class D (right, controlled) but doesnt sounds like your typical Class D amplifier. The Moon 240i isn’t too dissimilar to the Naim sound, but again has better bass depth and control. The Exposure 3010S2D is another that sounds a little similar to Naim in some respects, but has better imaging as well as the bass control aspect I find with the Naits.

All three have a good MM phono stage (optional on the Exposure).

Speaking as an Elex-R owner, it's very talented in so many ways but it does paint with quite a broad brush. I've tried it with a range of speakers and it can have a tendency to sound on the heavy, claustrophobic side. I personally find Rotel strikes a better balance, offering greater openness and subtlety overall - and that's just with a RA-01...

And from the same era in 2003 a year on from the RA-01 the superb RA-1062.

Reactions: matthewpiano

mr_baker644

Nov 1, 2019
Visit site
Thanks all for the replies - some very helpful insights here.

The best way forward seems to be for me to bring the Mira / HB1's to audition against the Elex-R and decide. This has also made me think further afield to the likes of Moon & Exposure, which I presume are perhaps sit at a higher price point than the Elex-R.

Rightly noted with Naim's (seemingly unjustified) price increase - this just makes the Rega look like even better value.

mr_baker644

Nov 1, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, thought I'd update on this thread....

I finally managed to travel down to the HiFi dealer to audition the RP6 / Elex-R. These were paired to a wonderful pair of Harbeth SHL5+'s. My thoughts were:

-RP6 dug lots more detail from the recordings than I'd ever heard on my RP1 - which was expected of course, but not to the astonishing level I heard - this TT represents truly fantastic value for money. I put an order in for one then and there.

-Elex-R - very different 'signature' to my Mira 3. The Elex-R sounded much more detailed to my ears, but with more rhythmic drive and engagement than the Mira, which sounds very smooth in comparison. The Elex-R was very toe-tappy and I really liked it.

-Harbeths - now I didn't plan on even considering a new pair of speakers, but my God did these leave a lasting impression. They struck me as very honest speakers, with no specific character you can latch on to with them, other than the incredibly transparent and revealing mid-range - an "old school" characteristic I've enjoyed with my HB1's, albeit with the Heybrook's sounding too bright at times.

I had to stop myself from ordering the entire set-up on the day, instead going away and thinking about it more. 48 hours later and I'm left thinking that the Elex-R is very different to the Mira, and is worth bringing home to A/B in my system. However, those Harbeth's have left me feeling like I need to buy them, and I won't be satisfied until they're at home with me!

Reactions: SHaines

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts