Thoughts on an all in one or compact system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site

Guys

I need to get a physically compact system for my kitchen
area and would appreciate thoughts on which ones to demo.

The room is part of a large open plan area 15mx5m but the
kitchen area, where I listen to most music, is around 5x5m. Speaker placement
is a bit restricted; either on top on a unit near the ceiling with the speakers
on their side (max 10 inches wide) or I could mount them in the top corner of
the room on another wall – neither are ideal.

I play much of my music through an IPOD currently, but would
like to be able to improve on this. We have reasonable wireless, though it does
drop out with boring regularity when we listen to internet radio. A CD would be
useful, but not essential, but I do want a reliable radio.

Thus far I have been looking at the all in one units, NAIM
UNITI, ARCAM Solo ELIPSON MC-1, but would be happy to consider components if
they were compact and aesthetically neat like the Cyrus system.

I am keen to get the best sound I can, my preference is definitely
for a warm sound, though I don’t want to sacrifice too much detail. I originally
thought the Naim system sounded just the ticket, but when I demo’d it I found
it lacked the warmth I was looking for. I think CYRUS is probably out for the
same reason.

In fact I liked the sound of the ELIPSON system, which was a
bit of a surprise as I’ve never really liked the design first approach.

I’d like the system to be able to contact to a SONUS system
if in future we want to place more speakers elsewhere in the house.

I’m not too concerned about the budget, but would be very grateful
for any specific thoughts and recommendations on both the unit(s) and speakers.
There is such a range of possibilities I’d like to narrow them down somewhat.

Thanks

James

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Would this do the job?:
http://www.hifix.co.uk/hi-fi-mini-systems/meridian/m80.html

This is a great sounding piece of kit and is being sold off for around half the price that it used to cost.

If you mean Sonos & not Sonus, you can buy the ZP90 & connect it to any hifi amplifier. Otherwise, the Play:5 & Play:3 are good all-in-one options. Wireless dropouts are less, as it works in its own mesh network.

You can even connect the ZP120 to ceiling speakers.

Of course, there are more options for superior audio quality. But Sonos does multiroom best.

What's your budget?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Bearing in mind the spaces available for the speakers (on their sides etc.), then there are the new Neat Iotas...

http://www.whathifi.com/review/neat-iota

...actually designed to be played on their sides. (Different colours too. They might even do a colour that matches the kitchen decor.)

It might be worth 'revisiting' Naim - but the UnitiQute instead of the Uniti - and trying the Iotas with it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the comments guys. I had seen these speakers and they are on the shortlist. I did fancy that NAIM system - just didn't like the lack of warmth in the sound. I've been trying to arrange some sessions for today, but nobody is open!

A

Anonymous

Does anyone have any experience of the Peachtree iDecco system or the Musical Fidelity systemt ( MI Clic+ amp)? I quite fancy a look at these.

James

A

Anonymous

OK we are getting somewhere now.

I bought a early new Elipson system for one room. I like the warmth of the sound and its not a room I wanted to put conventional looking speakrs in, so that is sorted.

However am still looking for the best sound I can get for the kitchen / open plan area. number of shops have suggest the Linn Majik system as the best all in one at this price. Does anynoe have any experince to share?

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Jamess said:
OK we are getting somewhere now.

I bought a early new Elipson system for one room. I like the warmth of the sound and its not a room I wanted to put conventional looking speakrs in, so that is sorted.

However am still looking for the best sound I can get for the kitchen / open plan area. number of shops have suggest the Linn Majik system as the best all in one at this price. Does anynoe have any experince to share?

Thanks

I take it you're talking about a Linn Majik DSM - http://www.linn.co.uk/systems/majik

I really like what the Linn DS can do, but am not so keen on their amps, which I find a little cool and uninvolving....but you need to hear for yourself.

Your other option is to get a Linn Sneaky, which has a 20W built in amp. This can be tried, and if you want more power, the Sneaky makes a fantastic source and the saving against the Majik DSM would leave you £1600 for an amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts