Thoughts and advice for new system

DaveyBoy1980

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted on here and after donwsizing my system and moving house I am ready to start building a system from scratch.

My listening space is around 4.5m x 6m and I will be sat between 2m and 4.5m away depending on whether I am sat on the sofa or at the table behind the sofa. Speakers can be either right up against the wall or 30cm away.

I tend to listen at fairly low to medium levels as I now live in a 2nd floor apartment although we don't have anyone above or any of the sides, just below.

I listen to all genres of music. Indie rock, ambient, electronic, chill, trance, acoustic. Pretty much everything but those are the main ones.

I will be using the Sonos connect to stream all my music so will be needing speakers, amp and a DAC. I really want to be getting a full, thick sound from low/med volumes, lots of detail, a good weight to the bass without being boomy and a good separation and sense of spaciousness. One thing I don't like is overly forward treble or anything that becomes fatiguing.

On Friday I demo'd some MA RX1s in gloss white with the Arcam A19 and Audiolab 8200CD at Frank Harvey in Coventry. I wasn't too prepared for the demo so I didn't have any of my own music with me but David leant me one of his CDs which was perfect for my tastes. (AES Dana) Very laid back electronic ambience.

I found the level of detail amazing. Everything seemed to be there and the speakers seemed to just disappear and I found myself not able to or wanting to move from my seat. It was almost as though I had taken some relaxants and was having a massage at the same time.

I then tried some other tracks, Ocean Colour Scene and Foo Fighters. Although they sounded very good, I was able to tell they were coming from a small speaker. Some of the more complex guitar and drum sections when it got going seemed to sort of get a bit mixed up.

Although, this was still one of the best sounds and combinations I've heard from hifi I am still wondering if there is a better combination.

I am going back in on Saturday to try the MA RX1, RX6, audiolab 8200p, Roksan Kandy K2 integrated and Arcam A19 in different combinations.

I think that the RX6 might provide that little bit extra that I was looking for in terms of scale and depth but they come in at over twice the price I can get the RX1 for. The RX1s might actually give me the extra warmth and depth when I get them into my small furnished living room.

Does anyone have any advice on other speakers or amp combos I could look at? I do want a good quality integrated or pre/power that I won't have to upgrade if I ever want to replace my speakers for something slightly better. I was thinking of the Audiolab 8200CDQ/P combo but starting with the 8200P with the Sonos as the pre until I can afford the CDQ. Or if I prefer the sound of the A19 or K2 saving for one of those instead.

I will be able to buy the amp once I've sold my beloved Epos ELS3 7.1 setup which is just sitting in their boxes at the moment. :doh:

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Maybe see if you can get a demo of the Rega RS3 or RS5. The ATC SCM11 may be worth a demo while you are there too, I prefer the SCM7 but you may prefer the slightly deeper bass that the 11 gives over the 7.

The SCM7 went really well with the 8200A.

They have some B-Grade Neat Motive 2's in budget, not my thing but some people rate them.

I am sure someone will be along to recommend the LS50.

DaveyBoy1980

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks hoopsontoast, I was thinking of the Rs3 and Rs5 as they get great reviews. I also saw the Neat Motive 2's and 3's on their site and thougt it might be worth giving them a listen too.

I have actually owned the SCM11 and the 19s along with a musical Fidelity A5. Great speakers but the room I had them in was way too small for them to sound good and at the time needed the cash so I sold the lot.

I'm trying to be a little more sensible with what I spend now and ideally I'd be spending £500 speakers, £700 amp and £300-£500 DAC. I know I will probably have to spend just over this for the speakers and amp. But if I try a combination for less than this that I really love I'll be very happy :)

Was also thinking of the R100 or R300.

But I loved the sound of the RX1 that much that I know I would be happy to buy them. I just don't want to only try the one pair though, in case I do prefer something else. I was just left wanting a little more bass depth.

DaveyBoy1980

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi Richard,

I have looked into and been tempted to try the ADM9s due to the quality, ease and simplicity and always thought that is the way I'd go.

But......when it comes down to it I really like the process of putting together a system that I can tune perfectly by mixing and matching and eventually upgrading or swapping out components as and when I feel like it.

I also, want to support my local hifi store (Frank Harvey) as they have always given me great service and given up time for demos and advice.

jjbomber

I would try the Rotel RA-11 amp and Tannoy Revolution DC6 speakers with the Audiolab 8200CD. You seem to be on the right track, though I'm not sure how long yu are looking at to upgrade the speakers. There may be a case of going for a Cyrus 6a or a Naim 5i and a cheaper pair of speakers, allowing you a significant upgrade when funds allow. Or, as you say, buy the amp and speakers now to use with the Sonos. Who knows; maybe you'll decide that you don't need a CD player anymore.

DaveyBoy1980

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
@jjbomber,

The Rotel RA-11 does look good value for money. I've never heard a Rotel but after hearing the Arcam A19 it would have a lot to live up to. ;)

The amp and DAC were one of the things I was looking at buying in stages as opposed to an integrated such as the K2 and A19.

Maybe go for the power amp first using the Sonos as a pre (If this would work) , then add a pre/DAC when funds allow.

Does anybody know what the PMC DB1i is like at low volumes, on paper, they look like they go quite deep which is something I'm looking for.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Only heard the DB1S+ for any great length (the Pro version) and actually thought they sounded a lot better than the DB1 models that I had heard before. They do work very well at low volumes but need a decent heavy stand and some room behind them to sound their best.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The pro version of the DB1 is quite a lot cheaper too .

http://www.production-room.com/pmc-speakers/pmc-db1s-plus/

A brilliant little speaker , there is little to touch them at this price especially if you need a speakers that sound just as good at low levels as they do at all other volumes.

A

Anonymous

DaveyBoy1980 said:
Thanks hoopsontoast, I was thinking of the Rs3 and Rs5 as they get great reviews. I also saw the Neat Motive 2's and 3's on their site and thougt it might be worth giving them a listen too.

I have actually owned the SCM11 and the 19s along with a musical Fidelity A5. Great speakers but the room I had them in was way too small for them to sound good and at the time needed the cash so I sold the lot.

I'm trying to be a little more sensible with what I spend now and ideally I'd be spending £500 speakers, £700 amp and £300-£500 DAC. I know I will probably have to spend just over this for the speakers and amp. But if I try a combination for less than this that I really love I'll be very happy :)

Was also thinking of the R100 or R300.

But I loved the sound of the RX1 that much that I know I would be happy to buy them. I just don't want to only try the one pair though, in case I do prefer something else. I was just left wanting a little more bass depth.

Definitely audition the R100 before buying the RX1. I have them and love them amazing speakers and not much more than the RX1 with a bit haggling!

DaveyBoy1980

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
sooooo..... I went and auditioned some speakers on Saturday. This is how it went.

I made a CD with 16 different tracks of varying types of music I like and of various quality. Some were converted 320 mp3 and some converted FLAC because that's more realistic to how I would be using them at home.

The source was Audiolab 8200CD, 8200 pre/power.

I started with the Monitor Audio RX1 which were the speakers that I really thought I was going to buy after hearing them the weekend before. I listened to the whole CD to get a reference point.

I did like them and thought they were very detailed and snappy, also thought they would take lot of beating but I was still wanting to try the RX6 for a bit more bass depth.

As soon as the RX6 started playing it was immediately obvious that there was a welly load more bass weight which I loved but I also noticed that a lot of the air and sparkle had been removed and replaced by the lower frequencies. I still really liked them though. I think if I had a larger listening space and didn't have neighbours on the floor below I would be very tempted by the RX6.

The next speakers to be hooked up were the PMC DB1i in black ash. They looked great and sounded even better. It took me a couple of tracks to get into them and to adjust. They were also new out of the box so weren't and still aren't run in, but after a couple of tracks I realised that they were leagues above the Monitor Audios. Nothing was out of place, There seemed to be more detail, more imaging and the speakers just seemed to disappear. I just wanted to sit there and keep listening. The sound seemed so natural and easy to listen to. All vocals and instruments were very well organised and uncluttered whether I was listening to John Mayer or John Digweed. I also preferred the type of bass they give. They just sounded a lot more grown up and expensive. I know that they are over double the price but they actually sounded like a lot more than that to me.

I then went back to the RX1 just to make sure I wasn't talking myself into wanting the more expensive speakers. I was right, all of a sudden, the RX1 were sounding very bright and trebly, male vocals sounded thin and elevated. Quite unnatural compared with the PMC. I probably wouldn't have thought this and been very happy with them if I hadn't gone and listened to the PMCs.

I then swapped the RX1 for Kef LS50s, I didn't want to leave the shop without hearing what all the fuss is about and I was really quite surprised, I didn't like them one bit. They had a deeper bass that was taught and fast but I didn't like the sound of the bass. I'm not knocking them at all, I might just have completely different hearing to everyone else. They look great and are well build but just not for me.

So, I have bought the PMC DB1i and am going to collect them on Satruday, one other speaker that I didn't listen to that I forgot about at the time is the Dynaudio X12 so I have arranged to have an A-B with the PMC and Dyns on Saturday when I go and collect them.

I do have to say that I am very impressed with how welcoming and accommodating Frank Harvery always are when I go in there. I can highly recommend them.

Whichever speakers I end up with (Most likely PMC DB1i) for I'll be a very happy chappy :dance:

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
DaveyBoy1980 said:
The next speakers to be hooked up were the PMC DB1i in black ash. They looked great and sounded even better. It took me a couple of tracks to get into them and to adjust. They were also new out of the box so weren't and still aren't run in, but after a couple of tracks I realised that they were leagues above the Monitor Audios. Nothing was out of place, There seemed to be more detail, more imaging and the speakers just seemed to disappear. I just wanted to sit there and keep listening. The sound seemed so natural and easy to listen to. All vocals and instruments were very well organised and uncluttered whether I was listening to John Mayer or John Digweed. I also preferred the type of bass they give. They just sounded a lot more grown up and expensive. I know that they are over double the price but they actually sounded like a lot more than that to me.

Whichever speakers I end up with (Most likely PMC DB1i) for I'll be a very happy chappy :dance:

Well done excellent choice :cheer:

You have just described very well how PMC speakers completely disappear and just leave natural sounding music , they are truly wonderful speakers :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Good report, I will try the PMC DB1is next demo if I can after being underwhelmed by Rega RS1s and B&W CM1s last week. However that is pushing my budget up somewhat.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts