Thoughts about SVs subwoofers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I wonder where does svs subwoofers stand in performace with other big brands like B&w , KEF, Boston, JBL, DALI , paradigm wharfdale, velodyne ..etc .., Is sbs a substandard one? I wonder why they r not being reviewd ? Is it a hoax company!! ? please put your thoughts .. if there are any owners please tell me how good are they .

-G :quest:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The SVS SB13-Plus is very well thought of in the hardware reviews on another AV forum.....it seems to compete with anything in its price range (I haven't heard it though).

moonfly

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
I used to own a PB13U some time ago before I started building subs for myself. You wont get more spl and low clean output than that sub for anything remotely like that price. It regularly blows the minds of new owners in terms of sheer capability. Its hard to really convey whats its like though, or even if you would like the sound it produces. Unless you have an intimate knowledge of subwoofer design then unless you hear it you will have no idea if its to your tastes or not.

The PBU is an EBS ported design, so if your knowledgeable and that means anything to you then it should give you a good idea of what its all about. If EBS designs arent your thing, then the SB13 would more likely be what you would need, and if the reviews are anything to go buy its a little blinder of a sub that again is pretty unmatched for the price. I cant see that staying at its current price for long though.

Pretty much every sub they produce is very capable and more sub than that money would typically buy, although they arent quite a cheap as they once were since the dollar pound ratio changed so much.

The company isnt bogus at all. I know their subs are very good but have only ever heard the SB-01 speakers. Those speakers are also very very good value for money, and very impressive for the money as well. The current dealer though is based in Europe, a company called L-Sound. I have never had dealings with them so cant really comment on their service in particular.

A

Anonymous

I wonder whetehr(svs) they compare their products with other leading products in market , they claim that their product perform better than any other in same price range , I wonder whether anyone in this forum has used SVS SB12 NSD its a enclosure type sub,

moonfly

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
SVS are a US based comapny. I could link you to an independant website were SVS subs have been thoroughly tested and compared with a fair few other brands, but think that would be against the rules. The SVS subs have been shown to offer stellar performance levels for the money, although they are some 30% more expensive than they once were, and no longer have a dedicated UK importer. They are still cracking products, and you wont get more clean low frequency spl output for your money unless you can build a sub for yourself (incidentally this is what I do now). Dependant on what you want, they might not be quite to your taste, but most owners are blown away by the sheer grunt of the things, and for HT setups they are pretty much one of the best options out there for the money.

Be aware though, the top end products in the line up are big, much bigger than pretty much all of the competition at that level.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the reply .. I wonderr how good is their SB12 nsd , whether it can match asw610xp , im confuced between these two!

moonfly

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
Well the SVS uses a 12" driver for a start, which will move the same amount of air as almost 2 10" drivers of equal xmax ability. Then the SVS also includes the DSP function, which if you learn to use will improve the response of the sub as well.

The prices are about the same meaning on paper the SVS looks the better spec for the money, and its the one I would likely go for personally. In addition, the SVS website gives some nice details about the driver B&W dont give us, like the fact it uses a good sized 2" voice coil with dual shorting rings that reduce distortion, and a pole vent that reduces power compression effects from heat build up. The SVS also claims solid output to 20hz in room while the B&W states a -6db measurement of 23 or 28 hz dependant on how you set it up. In reality, this translates as its probably only good to about 30hz a good output levels, so the SVS takes that one on paper as well. There is also a discrepency with the B&W figures, it claims output of 500 watts with only 98 watts power consumption. This tells me it doesnt output 500 watts continuous and is likely less than half that in reality, more in line with the 100 watt consumption figure.

The top and bottom of it is, that I personally would choose the SVS out of these two.

A

Anonymous

Having lived with an SVS Ultra for a few years, it has become totally addictive. In layman's terms I can only use magazine adjectives to describe it such as "solid" and "authoritative". It certainly sounds like an expensive peice of kit; flat response, no boom, blends in seamlessly with my Spendors, yet can really hit you in the chest. My problem now is I'm after a sub for another system and I'm worried anything else won't compare. The down side is my SVS is big and VERY heavy; it's likely to pull the farting strings of two grown men if you have to lift it up a flight of stairs. I think mine weighs something like 80Kg.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Frank Harvey Hi-Fi Excellence in Coventry (David posts on here abit) are now exclusive SVS dealers in the UK.... while were talking of the best end of the subwoofer market they are also exclusive UK dealers for Ken Kreisels new subs.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Hopefully something can be arranged between Frank Harvey and What Hi-fi with regards to a review or two? Or is it SVS who are less keen on reviews? I've rarely seen any of their kit in mags.

I'd love to see more BK sub reviews in the mag too.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi bigblue

It'll just be a matter of time before reviews for SVS and KK Sound will be appearing, but obviously we want to make sure all models are well run in before submitting them for review. Initially, those reviews will be over on the AV forum (they have a few models already that were supplied to them by L Sound), as one of their reviewers is very familiar with the brand and knows how to get the best from them. Once he's done with them, we'll probably look at which models are the most relevant for the UK market, and look at who wants to review them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts