Question Thorens anti-skating bias confusion

momo72

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I have a new (to me) vintage Thorens TD166 mkII that came without the user manual (or a cartridge).
I now have both thanks to the Internet (for the Manual).
I'm trying to make sense of the anti-skating bias adjustment.
Below is from the manual and just doesn't make much sense to me.
Right now I have the tt playing but it is a bit "skippy" ; and being my first attempt at setting up the cart and arm, I know that there must be plenty of "user errors" in how I've set it up.
If someone could explain in layman's terms this "dry notch" and "wet notch" that'd be great.
I'm wondering if I should have both on the same notch i.e "symmetrical".
Thanks in advance

TD166 anti-skating.jpg

iMark

Back in the day there was a system called Lencloclean. It was a solution that would be applied while playing the record. Allegedly it help against dust and static. Problem was that you always had to apply it once you had started with the system. Using that stuff was called "wet" and you need less anti skating.

You should only look at the "dry" settings.
First balance the tonearm, then set the tracking weight according to what is suggested for your particular cartridge. Then set the anti skating.

No idea as to this terminology but understand the principle
Set-up can be very tricky to determine. I would try with line going across identically numbered notches first working from 1 to 6 once tracking force has been set.
This should be 2grams for your cartridge
Ignore this, see imark explanation

Reactions: momo72

momo72

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
h the system. Using that stuff was called "wet" and yo

The previous page on the user manual mentions something about liquid across the face of the record (crazy stuff!!). So makes sense.
I've set it up that way: balance the arm, tracking force at 2g, and I've now adjusted the anti-skating with matching notches on both sides. I guess this trial and error is all part of the game. (music has never sounded so good... :) )

If ‘a bit skippy’ means it jumps grooves then is that undisturbed, or when you walk around in the room? If the latter, you need a more secure shelf or stand. If the former, the tracking may be too light.
Re the anti skating, do you have both weights, as the instructions seems to mention two sizes?

If ‘a bit skippy’ means it jumps grooves then is that undisturbed, or when you walk around in the room? If the latter, you need a more secure shelf or stand. If the former, the tracking may be too light.
Re the anti skating, do you have both weights, as the instructions seems to mention two sizes?
for a two gram tracking force either of the weights should suffice

momo72

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

Actually a bit of both.
I know the floor isn't the most even in our old Victorian house. And just walking around the room can make the stylus "jump". If I had my own music room I'd definitely be getting a wall shelf and hopefully when we do move house I can do it.
I've only got the smallest weight unfortunately. I've seen some aftermarket ones available on the 'bay so might look into that in the future.

Actually a bit of both.
I know the floor isn't the most even in our old Victorian house. And just walking around the room can make the stylus "jump". If I had my own music room I'd definitely be getting a wall shelf and hopefully when we do move house I can do it.
I've only got the smallest weight unfortunately. I've seen some aftermarket ones available on the 'bay so might look into that in the future.
The actual mass/weight of the bias weight is very specific but you may be able to find what the original was. Based on the smaller one - and your instructions - you can only bias up to 1.5 gams, so you’ll need it on 6. Being a bit ‘under’ isn’t necessarily a bad thing, so if it doesn’t mistrack on loud passages near the end/middle of a side I’d not worry.

Actually a bit of both.
In that case some sort of isolation feet / platform under the turntable is pretty essential.
The small weight should allow up to 2gm downforce which should cope with most cartridges you are likely to fit these days.

iMark

Lencoclean really was crazy stuff. It was marketed heavily here in NL. My parents knew someone who had fallen for the marketing. It meant that he was stuck to always using the fluid. Another problem with Lencoclean was that it left a residu in the grooves.

Someone is trying to bring it back: https://snvinyl.co.uk/Analogis-Wet-Type-LENCO-CLEAN-Arm-art-5930 It does say that by playing your records "wet" there is less friction. Probably correct in theory.

Lencoclean really was crazy stuff. It was marketed heavily here in NL. My parents knew someone who had fallen for the marketing. It meant that he was stuck to always using the fluid. Another problem with Lencoclean was that it left a residu in the grooves.

Someone is trying to bring it back: https://snvinyl.co.uk/Analogis-Wet-Type-LENCO-CLEAN-Arm-art-5930 It does say that by playing your records "wet" there is less friction. Probably correct in theory.
Yes, it was great idea that didn’t really work in practice!

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts