this made me laugh

WHFSAV review of the Marantz PM10 amp mentioned this :-

The PM-10 struggles to do this, making the song sound more straight-laced and serious than it should. Where the track should make us smile, we don’t notice the humour. For all its talent, this Marantz is a little flat footed and muscle bound with material such as this.
Read more at https://www.whathifi.com/marantz/pm-10/review#y5OXh790BBCC6Aro.99

Apparently, the Marantz can't do comedy!

thats my Baron Knights cassettes in the bin then!! lol

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigfish786 said:

The PM-10 struggles to do this, making the song sound more straight-laced and serious than it should. Where the track should make us smile, we don’t notice the humour. For all its talent, this Marantz is a little flat footed and muscle bound with material such as this.Read more at https://www.whathifi.com/marantz/pm-10/review#y5OXh790BBCC6Aro.99

well basically what hifi have said it’ sounds boring a bit like my Yamaha they said the same thing with that review too .

I mean really can you really take that review seriously I can’t they are way out of touch and I would buy a Marantz PM10 any day

Blacksabbath25 said:
bigfish786 said:

The PM-10 struggles to do this, making the song sound more straight-laced and serious than it should. Where the track should make us smile, we don’t notice the humour. For all its talent, this Marantz is a little flat footed and muscle bound with material such as this.Read more at https://www.whathifi.com/marantz/pm-10/review#y5OXh790BBCC6Aro.99

well basically what hifi have said it’ sounds boring a bit like my Yamaha they said the same thing with that review too .

I mean really can you really take that review seriously I can’t they are way out of touch and I would buy a Marantz PM10 any day

if i had the money, i wouldn't think twice about buying the Marantz Amp, the PM14S1SE i have is simply amazing for the money, although, i haven't played any Chubby Brown through it, so... i dunno!!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
bigfish786 said:

if i had the money, i wouldn't think twice about buying the Marantz Amp, the PM14S1SE i have is simply amazing for the money, although, i haven't played any Chubby Brown through it, so... i dunno!!
I quite like Chubby Brown lol

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

That’s not badly written as you can say ‘humour me’, relating to a state of mind. You aren’t saying please give me comedy by stating ‘humour me’

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
bigfish786 said:

so if someone gives you £7000 would you have one I would I reckon that the Marantz PM10 will one of ken’s Last limited edition amplifiers it’s a very nice amplifier but very expensive

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

It’s just under the price of my power amps, pre and power supply for the pre, by about a grand, but generally if they get 4 or 5 stars they are very good so far as the review is concerned, so I wouldn’t be concerned if I was considering buying one, that they criticised it and it got 4 stars. But if you are buying this I’d expect there to be comparable or better amplification from likes of musical fidelity, avm etc, who make big box amps and streamers in one. I know the top marantz stuff is very good, but I’m not sure I like the look of it.

Blacksabbath25 said:
bigfish786 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
bigfish786 said:

so if someone gives you £7000 would you have one I would I reckon that the Marantz PM10 will one of ken’s Last limited edition amplifiers it’s a very nice amplifier but very expensive

as I said, if I had the money, I wouldn’t think twice, I would have the Marantz. It’s a lot of money, and I would be tempted to try Accuphase as well. But yeah, the quality of Marantz Premium gear is outstanding.

D

Deleted member 108165

Swoon... *man_in_love* I really want one plus the matching SA-10. Anyone wanna buy one arm and one leg, you can choose right or left, or mix and match *biggrin*

D

Deleted member 108165

Gray said:
DougK said:
Swoon... *man_in_love* I really want one plus the matching SA-10. Anyone wanna buy one arm and one leg, you can choose right or left, or mix and match *biggrin*

Someone might actually need a kidney.

Most body parts available, open to offers in the region of £13K.

Unfortunately I would need a total lounge re-design on siting these babies, even the PM14S1 won't fit where my current amp is sited as it's too deep.

rainsoothe

Blacksabbath25 said:
bigfish786 said:

Why am I out of touch? I also find Yamaha amps boring and too wispy sounding, from 500 to 3000. Given a choice for free and forbidden to sell forward, I'd take the entry level Naim to Yamaha's AS3000 anyday. There's WAY better amplification to be had for that moneys - for instance, if you like that type of sound, there's Jadis Orchestra, which does all Yamaha does, but with added solidity and great rhythmic ability. I think you can find Accuphase for that money as well, which is in a completely different league than the Yammy.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
bigfish786 said:

Why am I out of touch? I also find Yamaha amps boring and too wispy sounding, from 500 to 3000. Given a choice for free and forbidden to sell forward, I'd take the entry level Naim to Yamaha's AS3000 anyday. There's WAY better amplification to be had for that moneys - for instance, if you like that type of sound, there's Jadis Orchestra, which does all Yamaha does, but with added solidity and great rhythmic ability. I think you can find Accuphase for that money as well, which is in a completely different league than the Yammy.
you see I do not understand this point a view I can’t defend the lower Yamaha amplifiers as I’ve never owned them but I do own the 2 top models and put with the right speakers both models are not boring sounding .

They are both natural sounding amplifiers which I like and I also hear every bit of detail and the instruments sound like instruments which is excellent good soundstage and very good bass control and very involving sound and has great rhythmic ability what more do you expect from a amplifier .

when did you hear the Yamaha A-S3000 or the Yamaha A-S2100 ? What speakers where with the setup at the time and was the amplifier run- in properly

because I feel that both amplifiers are just as good as the likes of Naim , luxman , but cheaper and built better expect the luxman which is in the same ballpark but Naim is over priced steel box where the Yamaha uses aluminium , wood no plastic as the construction of both amplifiers is unbelievable quality you get what you pay for .

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
chebby said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
... but Naim is over priced steel box where the Yamaha uses aluminium , wood no plastic as the construction of both amplifiers is unbelievable quality you get what you pay for .

Naim use aluminium alloy cases.
ok .

Naim are still over priced in my opinion

I have no stake in your particular argument (whatever it is) just pointing out an error. Best to get things correct when slagging off other people’s kit :)

Anyway, it’s all overpriced isn’t it? (Just ask the major.)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
chebby said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
chebby said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
... but Naim is over priced steel box where the Yamaha uses aluminium , wood no plastic as the construction of both amplifiers is unbelievable quality you get what you pay for .

ok .

I have no stake in your particular argument (whatever it is) just pointing out an error. Best to get things correct when slagging off other people’s kit :)

it wasn’t meant to be a slagging of about Naim I was just trying to defend the Yamaha A-S2100 -Yamaha A-S3000 by what someone had said about the Yamaha sound which I think is wrong by a long shot .

rainsoothe

Blacksabbath25 said:
chebby said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
chebby said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
... but Naim is over priced steel box where the Yamaha uses aluminium , wood no plastic as the construction of both amplifiers is unbelievable quality you get what you pay for  .

ok .

I have no stake in your particular argument (whatever it is) just pointing out an error. Best to get things correct when slagging off other people’s kit :)

it wasn’t meant to be a slagging of about Naim I was just trying to defend the Yamaha A-S2100 -Yamaha A-S3000 by what someone had said about the Yamaha sound which I think is wrong by a long shot  .

My point was that there's no right or wrong. I'm slagging Yamaha because I don't like them, not because YOU do. The review in whf mirrors my experience. I heard the AS3000 with it's matched CD player and with Sonus Faber floorstanders (forgot the model - Cremona or Opera, something like that), and I thought it had the same traits as their entry-level models, but sounded much "grander", which imo is the only thing it's got going for it. If I only listened to jazz or symphonic, it might've been up my alley. But seriously, give the (cheaper) Jadis a try, and it will murder the AS3000. It does the same stuff, but much better.

But back to my original point: if you ignore measurements (which whf and most of us normally do) it's all subjective. That's why their review is not "wrong". They like Rega amps, I don't - I understand why they like them, so I don't consider their Rega reviews wrong.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
chebby said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
chebby said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

ok .

it wasn’t meant to be a slagging of about Naim I was just trying to defend the Yamaha A-S2100 -Yamaha A-S3000 by what someone had said about the Yamaha sound which I think is wrong by a long shot .

My point was that there's no right or wrong. I'm slagging Yamaha because I don't like them, not because YOU do. The review in whf mirrors my experience. I heard the AS3000 with it's matched CD player and with Sonus Faber floorstanders (forgot the model - Cremona or Opera, something like that), and I thought it had the same traits as their entry-level models, but sounded much "grander", which imo is the only thing it's got going for it. If I only listened to jazz or symphonic, it might've been up my alley. But seriously, give the (cheaper) Jadis a try, and it will murder the AS3000. It does the same stuff, but much better.

But back to my original point: if you ignore measurements (which whf and most of us normally do) it's all subjective. That's why their review is not "wrong". They like Rega amps, I don't - I understand why they like them, so I don't consider their Rega reviews wrong.
Right ok if you think so ...

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
bigfish786 said:

They were still gigging until recently.

Oldphrt said:
bigfish786 said:

They were still gigging until recently.

i would love to here K.I’s opinion on this particular trait of the amp. Hopefully he’s got a sense of humour!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts