thinking of upgrading ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 188516
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 188516

if you thinking of upgrading as this video suggests, stop, think and beware of the sideways steps !

if you have a clear idea of what you want to improve with your system upgrading can be straight forward. the example given of adding a sub woofer if you require more bass seems easy to understand but other aspects you may want to improve are not so straight forward...

upgrading would, or should, be simply really. if you want "better" speakers move to the model above. if want a better amplifier, once again, move to the model above.

however, sadly, this does not always result in the "better" sound the customer is after and money can be wasted!

here is the video - what are your thoughts ?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-dx9KyW_Jg

D

Deleted member 188516

I think that by and large moving up a manufacturer's food chain should yield an improvement in sound - you should be getting 'the same but more' - but whether that's value for money is another matter.

I am wary of the self-appointed internet expert!

you should be getting "the same but more"... but sadly that is not always the case !
(and more expensive does not mean better i have found out either...)

the video was interesting as, to me, he seems to be telling people not to spend cash and enjoy what you already have !

Friesiansam

I think that by and large moving up a manufacturer's food chain should yield an improvement in sound - you should be getting 'the same but more' - but whether that's value for money is another matter.
That would be a nice thing to do but, in my case that means moving up from a Pathos Converto MK2 to an InPol Ear with optional DAC. What I have cost £1300, the upgrade would cost around £4700 so. is way beyond my budget and the same problem exists with the headphones. I was already thinking upgrading is pointless unless it is a big enough step to provide a meaningful improvement, although I am tempted to tryout a pair of planar magnetics, Dan Clark Aeon2 perhaps, maybe in a couple of years...

matthewpiano

I agree entirely with Steve Guthenberg's comments in this video. I wish I could have seen it years ago, and it's very much where I'm at.

I've been interested in hi-fi since I was given my first 'hand-down' system aged 8, but it's in the past 15 years that I've spent so much time experimenting, trying different things and being restless - often being on a tight budget and at one point getting myself into debt with it. I've been through a ridiculous amount of equipment and experienced pretty much every brand available within a reasonable budget, as well as a combination of new, second hand and even vintage gear.

The hi-fi easily becomes an addiction, with plenty of sideways steps along the way. Psychologically it's quite complex, because we get into the way of thinking that X must be better than Y or worrying about whether we've got the best we can for the budget. There's also the myth that higher end is always better and, to add complication, the placebo effect unarguably exists and can fool us into thinking there is an improvement or change when there really isn't. For me, the obsession has also served as a crutch through some very rocky times over the years (relationships, health, career changes).

It's also vital to remember that whatever system you have not every recording is going to sound amazing. Some recordings are just plain bad and the blame shouldn't be laid on your system. If we love the music enough we should just listen through the engineering issues with those recordings and accept that there is no magic cure.

I'm tired now, of all the swapping and changing, losing money by selling things on. It has often got in the way of the music, defeating the very point of its existence. I'm currently in the process of putting together a system I know, from previous experience, I will enjoy. It's a complete change from what I have as my main system in the signature below, but I will be keeping that system as a back-up and for returning to in the case that the self-questioning returns. It has to be the end-game for me as I realise now that I've already reached the best I can afford in a couple of previous systems, and I'm desperate to get back to focusing completely on the music.

D

Deleted member 188516

I agree entirely with Steve Guthenberg's comments in this video. I wish I could have seen it years ago, and it's very much where I'm at.

I've been interested in hi-fi since I was given my first 'hand-down' system aged 8, but it's in the past 15 years that I've spent so much time experimenting, trying different things and being restless - often being on a tight budget and at one point getting myself into debt with it. I've been through a ridiculous amount of equipment and experienced pretty much every brand available within a reasonable budget, as well as a combination of new, second hand and even vintage gear.

The hi-fi easily becomes an addiction, with plenty of sideways steps along the way. Psychologically it's quite complex, because we get into the way of thinking that X must be better than Y or worrying about whether we've got the best we can for the budget. There's also the myth that higher end is always better and, to add complication, the placebo effect unarguably exists and can fool us into thinking there is an improvement or change when there really isn't. For me, the obsession has also served as a crutch through some very rocky times over the years (relationships, health, career changes).

It's also vital to remember that whatever system you have not every recording is going to sound amazing. Some recordings are just plain bad and the blame shouldn't be laid on your system. If we love the music enough we should just listen through the engineering issues with those recordings and accept that there is no magic cure.

I'm tired now, of all the swapping and changing, losing money by selling things on. It has often got in the way of the music, defeating the very point of its existence. I'm currently in the process of putting together a system I know, from previous experience, I will enjoy. It's a complete change from what I have as my main system in the signature below, but I will be keeping that system as a back-up and for returning to in the case that the self-questioning returns. It has to be the end-game for me as I realise now that I've already reached the best I can afford in a couple of previous systems, and I'm desperate to get back to focusing completely on the music.

thats a great answer, appreciated.

Reactions: matthewpiano

rainsoothe

So... What's the system you're putting together? :)

matthewpiano

So... What's the system you're putting together? :)

Hi @rainsoothe.
I'm going back to Rega - P6/NEO/Exact with Apollo, Brio and RX3s + my existing Node 2i. The only part in question is the Brio - I'm wondering if I'd be better off going for the Elex-R or Naim Nait 5si, but I'm discussing it with a helpful dealer so I'm sure it will be right in the end, whichever amp I go with.

Reactions: rainsoothe

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi @rainsoothe.
I'm going back to Rega - P6/NEO/Exact with Apollo, Brio and RX3s + my existing Node 2i. The only part in question is the Brio - I'm wondering if I'd be better off going for the Elex-R or Naim Nait 5si, but I'm discussing it with a helpful dealer so I'm sure it will be right in the end, whichever amp I go with.
Don't kid yourself, I'm always doing it, you're hi fi journey will never end 😅😅😅

rainsoothe

Hi @rainsoothe.
Sweet. And thank you! :)

Reactions: matthewpiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts