Thinking of getting Arcam SA10

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

robdmarsh

Yours the the money, yours the choice. I keep out from hereon
Nearer to £575 once VAT is added.
Great value. May not look as good, but likely to sound better than many.

Nad's class D power amps interest me too (if not in the same value class as Nord).
Nearer to £575 once VAT is added.
Great value. May not look as good, but likely to sound better than many.

Nad's class D power amps interest me too (if not in the same value class as Nord).
[/QUOTE

I've found out that adding a power amp is not possible with the Marantz.

As for trying other speakers, well I have tried about half a dozen in the past and they didn't sound as good as the b5. These trials also included the b5.2 which, to my ears, has lost the magic of the original at least in this pairing.

I've found a particularly good deal on an Arcam SA10 and I've decided I'm going to go for it.
I'll be back here soon to give you my thoughts. Till then, toodle pip.

Reactions: Gray and Al ears

robdmarsh

Hi,
For the Aux-Out connection, it may not be part of the volume control. The signal may be at a set volume, so when you turn down the amplifier volume, the Aux-Out remains at the same signal level. In this case, you will not be able to use a power amplifier. The manual does not indicate whether Aux-Out is controlled by the volume. Unless you can test this, then maybe a tech support request with Marantz.

For Nord, the amplifiers i refer to are :

The above is Stereo 250watts and less than £500, using the Hypex amplifier units which receive favourable reviews - you can search the internet. The power amplifier does not have a volume control.

The Marantz unit is a very good all in one approach. If you move to another solution, what will be your primary listening sources ?

Regards,
Shadders.
In answer to your question, streaming using Amazon HD with ifi Zen Blue. I think the latter is a great little piece of kit and if it's not strictly audiophile, I don't care. I've stopped playing CDs - another reason why I can give up the Marantz.
Oh and I should add, not that Amazon need the advertising, Amazon music HD is £7.99 for Prime users, much the best value among the streaming providers.

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
I had one on loan for a few days and was disappointed, listening through B & W speakers. I really wanted to like this as have had some lovely Arcam amps in the past. First impressions were good: clarity, presence and a full mid-range. I can see how it would impress in a brief showroom audition. However, after longer listening, it didn’t hold up well to my ears. The component parts sounded fine but nothing ever gelled together. Yes, nice midrange and smooth treble but music felt broken down into its component parts and never merged together to make music. To understand what I mean, compare it to a Rega amp. In my opinion, you can do better. The Rega Brio is far superior. Other ears and experiences may differ, of course.

Last edited:
I had one on loan for a few days and was disappointed, listening through B & W speakers. I really wanted to like this as have had some lovely Arcam amps in the past. First impressions were good: clarity, presence and a full mid-range. I can see how it would impress in a brief showroom audition. However, after longer listening, it didn’t hold up well to my ears. The component parts sounded fine but nothing ever gelled together. Yes, nice midrange and smooth treble but music felt broken down into its component parts and never merged together to make music. To understand what I mean, compare it to a Rega amp. In my opinion, you can do better. The Rega Brio is far superior. Other ears and experiences may differ, of course.
This was pretty much my finding on the SA20. It seemed to have all the elements needed for a good amp: detail, good bass definition, tonally very good. Yet, for some reason, the presentation lacked cohesion. Whether that was speakers or not I couldn't really say. IIRC, they were Focal floorstanders.

When the dealer changed over to the Rega Elex-R, around the same price tag, it had those elements the Arcam lacked.

robdmarsh

Interesting, thanks for that. This might be shallow, but I really can't stand the look of Rega - the plastic house brick look. I don't know why they persist with it apart from the fact that it's instantly identifiable as Rega. As for the sound, from what I have heard, I think I would like the sound. The only one I heard in the flesh was the Rega Io and the sound of that was pretty gob-smacking albeit from a diminutive plastic house brick.

Interesting, thanks for that. This might be shallow, but I really can't stand the look of Rega - the plastic house brick look. I don't know why they persist with it apart from the fact that it's instantly identifiable as Rega. As for the sound, from what I have heard, I think I would like the sound. The only one I heard in the flesh was the Rega Io and the sound of that was pretty gob-smacking albeit from a diminutive plastic house brick.

Aesthetics are very important. You have to live with it so it needs to look decent at the very least. I think the Elex-R or Elicit-R should be more your style, as they are both full-size.

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
Whilst I had the SA10, I got out my older A19 for a comparison. The A19 is vastly superior and far more musical, in my opinion. Progress, eh….?
No thing wrong with concern over aesthetics. Many people‘s system are quite prominent. I like the Rega styling. Each to their own.

robdmarsh

Whilst I had the SA10, I got out my older A19 for a comparison. The A19 is vastly superior and far more musical, in my opinion. Progress, eh….?
No thing wrong with concern over aesthetics. Many people‘s system are quite prominent. I like the Rega styling. Each to their own.
Interesting you liked a19 better. These can be had 2nd hand for a lot less. But does it have any optical inputs?

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
Have you heard Audiolab 6000A and would you say a19 sounded better than that? I really didn't like the 6000A, to my ears it had no soul, but many people on this forum love it.
Have heard a 6000A and it’s a very good amp in many ways but, as others have said, I also found it a bit clinical and soulless. Then again, others adore it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts