Thinking about Marantz 1607 or 1608 for living room

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Anything I should know?

5.?.2 will do fine for surround sound as I can't use side speakers. One side wall is all glass and the other doesn't exist at all. The Memsahib sure as Sherlock won't allow speakers on stands either.

I have four in ceilings to play with. If you think of these as being numbered 1 to 4 clockwise around the ceiling, number 1 is more or less over the TV in the corner and won't be used. 2 and 4 will be used for the Atmos overheads. 3 can be used as a single rear. Not ideal, but it would do. If / when I put the TV over the fireplace between 1 and 2 I can re-jig. I can also extend the speaker cable to 3 and put a single on-wall in the corner of the room diagonally opposite the TV.

Anyway, anything I should know about the 1607 or 1608? The 1608 comes with HEOS I know, which may be useful later, but apart from that?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
So Best Buy (our version of Currys) put the price of the 1608 back up from $550 to $750 over Chrimbo. Barstewards.

Unless they bring it back down again on Sunday and don't sell out beforehand it looks like either a refurbished 1607 for $380 or a refurbished 1608 for $500.

Other than HEOS is there any advantage in getting the 1608 vs the 1607? The $120 savings would pay for a pair of speakers for the dining room ceiling or a modest power amp to drive them.

All of this is mainly for "muzak" (background misic) service not lights off audiophile listening so sound quality isn't that important.

Don't think there's any advantage in getting the 1608 over 1607 for you. Wait until 1st Jan before you take the plunge. I'm not sure if Marantz showcases new products at CES, might be worth waiting until then (1st week of January) if that's the case.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Don't think there's any advantage in getting the 1608 over 1607 for you. Wait until 1st Jan before you take the plunge. I'm not sure if Marantz showcases new products at CES, might be worth waiting until then (1st week of January) if that's the case.
We (well, SHE) want a slimline one in the living room. I'm not sure Marantz or anyone else will be bringing out slimline units next year as they've been really bad sellers.

Only plus for the 1608 seems to be HEOS. IF I can use that to drive wireless rears that would save a lot of headaches but I don't think I can. Otherwise the HEOS is redundant - all the other speaker points were pre-wired when we had the house built and so I can just add modest power amps as and when needed. I also have an old Onkyo 5.2 for the master suite if needed anyway.

1607 it is then.

Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts