Things You Threw Away

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AJM1981

I have kept a few cables, mainly modern ones.

Attics are mostly meant for stored doubts that we collect till the end of life up till that point that it will be most likely trash anyway. When I don't use certain stuff anymore it will either be sold or thrashed, depending on the state.

I have never trashed anything I regret. All my old gear got a caring new owner.

JonRA

Jul 3, 2022
Visit site
Not exactly thrown away - although I was going to take my vinyl collection to a charity shop before my mother-in-law's possessions were sent for auction in 2016 and I tacked them on to that sale. Around 150-200 of the 70s finest (to me at least) went for 750gbp. I was quite pleased at the time. Last week, I idly wondered what my first pressing copy of Nick Drake's Pink Moon would be worth - the only one I could find online was 600gbp. I wonder what the lot might have been worth if I'd kept them...

Gray

When I was 10 I had a pocket TV I wish I kept that. :)
Yeah, it would probably be worth a bit now.
I reckon there's a good chance it was a Casio.
They made a couple of models.
One of them used 8 batteries - very quickly.
Quite a poor picture and not brilliant reception from its telescopic aerial.
Also, unsurprisingly, expensive.....but a fantastic novelty back then - long before mobile phones became popular.

Reactions: Freddy

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
Yeah, it would probably be worth a bit now.
I reckon there's a good chance it was a Casio.
They made a couple of models.
One of them used 8 batteries - very quickly.
Quite a poor picture and not brilliant reception from its telescopic aerial.
Also, unsurprisingly, expensive.....but a fantastic novelty back then - long before mobile phones became popular.
Yes, it was Casio with an aerial. (y)

Reactions: Gray

Markmaguire

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
One that went to the tip in working condition was the Sony minidisc player.
One that got sold on eBay far too cheaply was an inherited Linn LP12 about 10 years ago just before the vinyl resurgence. Didn’t know much about them then and definitely wish I kept it.

Witterings

One that went to the tip in working condition was the Sony minidisc player.

I've still got a minidisc player for the car in the loft that took a total of 4 discs, that was an incredible car stereo with a Kenwood amp / receiver.
Place I bought it from used to bulk buy what was left of Kenwood's last years models so were much lss than the launch price and the new models just being released.

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
I found out the reference for my first hifi a couple of weeks ago through some youtube suggestion. Vintage pioneer stereo - YouTube . Pretty sure the speakers were Pionner cs-a9000

Didn't really threw it away but sold it for the symbolic price of €5. Until recently I don't think I had a better sounding system. At least not one that gave the joy of that one.

Also, after several moves, I have no idea where my 5000+ CDs are. They are probably lost to me :cry:

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
Not all was lost, I already had ripped most of them into Flac but yea... I think I had them in boxes at my parents attic and they had some renovations there a few years back. So I'm guessing someone had a sudden collection increase after buying them for peanuts at the local fleemarket.

...or they are with the ex, meaning they are now little plastic confetti feeding the fish

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts