There's a new music format that aims to deliver "the pinnacle of sound"

Just Pele

May 10, 2022
Visit site
It depends on price point. If it's priced in the same ballpark as vinyl, ~$50, it will have a chance. We would need to see information on the new players as well.

F8lee

Dec 20, 2019
Visit site
Odd, indeed....so basically an update of the LP using different materials (and one wonders what expertise T Bone has in materials science...)

But his description implies that "Originals will consist of "lacquer painted onto an aluminium disc, with a spiral etched into it by music...which can be heard by putting a stylus into the spiral and spinning it"." begs the question - does this differ somehow from the LP process? In other words, in the "old days" (or perhaps current audiophile days) a lathe was used to cut a master disc, which was then used to create the stamps that finally pressed endless numbers of vinyl LPs.

My interpretation of his description - particularly when he compares them to original art - is that his "lathe" cuts a single record and then that record can be played back - but no mention made of mass production tells me that this is something that only those with way more money than brains would care to own (mainly in order to impress their friends no doubt).

Tinman1952

Destined to go the way of Pono...?

"When describing the quality that raises analogue sound above digital sound, the word 'warmth' is often used. Analogue sound has more depth, more harmonic complexity, more resonance, better imaging. Analogue has more feel, more character, more touch. Digital sound is frozen. Analogue sound is alive."

What rubbish......😣

Reactions: 12th Monkey

Harry Worth

Apr 28, 2022
Visit site
It depends on price point. If it's priced in the same ballpark as vinyl, ~$50, it will have a chance. We would need to see information on the new players as well.
New players?
Isn't it just a record material that's moved beyond Shellac and Vinyl to Ionic?
He says it requires a stylus!
Maybe your Dansette will play it.................

Reactions: Tinman1952

toymotor

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance but would the recorded music be dependant on the microphone or microphones that captured the original sound? This mythical audiophile quality everyone seems determined to get is so dependent on multiple factors that its not possible to achieve this. I advise you to seek out a band and ask to stand into the middle of that band in full swing and see why you can't get near to that. Drums overpower everything and assault you physically. Guitars hit you from where the amps are usually behind you. Other instruments are drowned out unless you move closer to them. I'm happy with CD quality. If I want a better experience i go see a live band.

Tinman1952

Excuse my ignorance but would the recorded music be dependant on the microphone or microphones that captured the original sound? This mythical audiophile quality everyone seems determined to get is so dependent on multiple factors that its not possible to achieve this. I advise you to seek out a band and ask to stand into the middle of that band in full swing and see why you can't get near to that. Drums overpower everything and assault you physically. Guitars hit you from where the amps are usually behind you. Other instruments are drowned out unless you move closer to them. I'm happy with CD quality. If I want a better experience i go see a live band.
Surely that's where the skill of the record producer and sound engineer comes into it. As I was in a band in my youth, standing in the middle of it is the last place I would want to be for decent sound quality! I agree CD quality is all we need for great sound but arguably being at a live band performance whilst often a great experience is often marred by terrible sound mixing... so not always a 'better experience' in terms of audio. I remember seeing Deacon Blue in the 90s live and had tinnitus for a week! 😣

Terry Webb

Feb 10, 2020
Visit site
I have been wondering that now that the Let It Be album has been released what next for The Beatles catalogue. Could this format be the answer? Only joking. Sort of.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts