The science behind why.....

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Interesting, but it seems rather preliminary and none of it is actually tested or measured that well.

Also, there's the question about at what point some of this becomes audible.

I'm not fully in the all amps sound the same camp because I agree that the program material (music or whatever ) and speakers will have an impact, but Im not a fan of completely ignoring measurements because for my tastes ive found equipment that measures well works the best with a wide range of music.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
The science is probably sound. (Actually I'd be very surprised if it wasn't.) But Lesurf is careful to say he doesn't know whether any of these effects are audible.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ID. said:
Interesting, but it seems rather preliminary and none of it is actually tested or measured that well.

Also, there's the question about at what point some of this becomes audible.

I'm not fully in the all amps sound the same camp because I agree that the program material (music or whatever ) and speakers will have an impact, but Im not a fan of completely ignoring measurements because for my tastes ive found equipment that measures well works the best with a wide range of music.

I think that the author, who is an eminent physicist incidentally, considers the failings of THD and IMD in measuring audio amplifier performance to be fundamentally flawed in a more than preliminary sense.

His new, proposed measurement method is preliminary yes, but his discrediting of THD and IMD measurements is nothing new and is widely accepted.

Unfortunately it is THD and IMD which are the industry standard used by manufacturers for benchmarking amplifier distortion. Easy to achieve good results, utterly meaningless and yet cited again and again in "proving" that all amplifiers sound the same.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If I understood well (some of it) his idea is not to measure for distortion with test tones (sine or square waves) because they don't represent music well (bad analog), but to measure real music samples for distortion and see how the amp is tracking the original signal. This idea of course is not new in audio, but his method how to do this is probably unique considering he has written a book about MM waves (millimeter waves, 30-300GHz).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts