The Ratio of your expenditure!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I once bought 1000 classical lps for £34. Also bought 2000 mixed lps for £70 - about 40% of them were of the sort of rock / pop music I enjoy and were records that I didn't already have.

Last month I bought 100 rock CD's for £10.

These days I don't buy lp job lots as I started getting too much duplication. I buy individual lps for £1 to £3, plus a bit of time and electricity to clean most of them.

I have a total of 5 to 6 large Ikea Expedits of vinyl that have cost me a total of about £3000. That's a few hundred more than what I paid for each of my record players.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
fr0g said:
John Duncan said:
http://www.modushop.biz/ecommerce/cat037_l2.php?n=1#2

So I'd be roughly on the money then.

Yep. I'd want a discount for bulk obv.

But I'd be interested to know how much it would actually cost you to make a DAC, all parts and labour included, and then to add your 50% margin (which is reasonable in this line of work, I'd say). Let's ignore R&D and marketing.
John, comeon give us the ratio of your expenditure

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
BenLaw said:
tino said:
I wonder how much people have spent on the music they play relative to the amount of kit they own ... I dread to think how much those with 1 or 2 thousand LPs/CDs have shelled out! :O

Goof call :grin: I've probably spent a little more on music than the system over the years, seems reasonable?
Well right now I have about 5000 songs ripped from cds. Assuming that each cd costs about 5 pounds and each cd has 10 tracks then I have spent 500x5=2500 pounds :O. That excludes the vinyl, flacs and other rubbish cds I never bothered to put in my collection. That is more than I have spent on any component till date. However, lets save that for another thread and keep it focused on hifi for now, eh?

John Duncan

shafesk said:
John Duncan said:
fr0g said:
John Duncan said:
http://www.modushop.biz/ecommerce/cat037_l2.php?n=1#2

So I'd be roughly on the money then.

Yep. I'd want a discount for bulk obv.

But I'd be interested to know how much it would actually cost you to make a DAC, all parts and labour included, and then to add your 50% margin (which is reasonable in this line of work, I'd say). Let's ignore R&D and marketing.
John, comeon give us the ratio of your expenditure

For music only (ignoring the BD player) the system in my sig is about 30/20/45/5 split across source/amp/speakers/cables.

A

Anonymous

I think the amplifier is the foundation of any system, buy a good amp and build from there. Price wise my system is all over the place, i don't really care as it sounds good to my ears.

Prices when new- Roksan Caspian M1 £1600- Paid £450 used.

Musical fidelity M1 £400

Dali lektor 2 £280

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Nothing in it in digital transports, choose speakers to suit your ears and room and then an amp that drives them properly (i.e., plenty of power).

Until recently the breakdown was:

CD Transport & DAC £2100 (21%)

Amp £4650 (48%)

Speakers & stands £3000 (31%)

Now upgraded to active speakers and it's:

Squeezebox Touch 5%

Active speakers 95%

Obviously, this is the breakdown I'd now recommend! :)

SolarGlider

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
That's true. There will be people who have the best equipment and only use it twice a month or something like that.

I myself have accumulated 300 GB in flac and WAV in less then three months with this number growing daily. I would like to get some vinyl as well. When people buy these kits for anything else then enjoyment and relaxation it is worth asking why.

JonFountain

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I rather suspect my ratios might skew the mean a little:

- Myyiad M (all in one)i: £140 in perfect condition at an auction where no-one realised what it was :grin:

- BX2 Speakers: Saw a chap throwing them in a skip on the way back from the auction as they were "broken beyond repair". Got them home. Cleaned out all the accumulated fluff and god knows what that was shorting the terminals and sat back to enjoy them.

So that's Speakers 0% Everything else 100%.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

My main system as it currently stands is about third each for cd amp speakers at full retail, not what I actually paid but this is by pure accident and not by design.

After not really buying hifi for 20 years I wanted a system I would be happy with, not compromising so wouldn't be hankering after a compromised purchase and did end up going considerably over budget to achieve this.
At some point I will be looking for a dac/streamer/nas to go into this and have taken a similar approach of what works for me so as once it is purchased I will be satisfied and not looking to tweak further.

Just to contradict this my second system I may tweak out of curiosity via s/hand components ( would a NAD c370 be any better? )which will be bought and sold on but outlay will be negligible and not based on any preordained ratio.
The only expenditure on this so far is my dac magic for £200 and Alpha 9 for £130.Everything else has been scavenged over the years and is like the smelly old comfy shoes that look tatty but feel comfortable and don't really want to change.

However I do get curious from what I see and read here and that maybe my downfall ie is a Sugden A21/IA 4 really that good, I didn't like the mystro but what killed the cat etc......

Anyway got a day off listening to Santana 1st album ,feeling very content, sorry for the ramble.

I find this

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts