The Ratio of your expenditure!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Source - Stream XP and PSXR £2500 - New

Amps - 4 x Cyrus Mono X £2600 - S/hand

Speakers - Self built but parts were £1600.

All in all, roughly equal between all parts.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Source - 4%

DAC+Pre - 40%

Power Amp - 32%

Speakers - 24%

Based on Brand new prices. In my case Source is mac Mini so that is alright there. But as you move down the stream the percentage decreases (My logic :) )

Cables are excluded but they might be less than 1%

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
WishTree said:
Source - 4%

DAC+Pre - 40%

Power Amp - 32%

Speakers - 24%

Based on Brand new prices. In my case Source is mac Mini so that is alright there. But as you move down the stream the percentage decreases (My logic :) )

Cables are excluded but they might be less than 1%

Similar to me. Though my current system is based around the fact that I might upgrade speakers, though I currently don't feel a need to...

Excluding the Macmini and going on equivalent new prices:

45% DAC, 30% Integrated Amp, 25% speakers.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
very interesting, it seems that most people have their budget split between their amp and speakers and surprisingly smaller share dedicated to their dacs....the case does seem to differ for those with tts or cd players but all in all it seems speakers and amps are the general priority.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
shafesk said:
very interesting, it seems that most people have their budget split between their amp and speakers and surprisingly smaller share dedicated to their dacs....the case does seem to differ for those with tts or cd players but all in all it seems speakers and amps are the general priority.

There is a lot better value in more expensive speakers with better drivers than in more expensive DACs which offer very little over their cheaper counterparts.

The high end DACs use the same "cheap" ICs as the low to mid price ones.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
shafesk said:

If I were putting together a new system I'd spend most of the money on the amps and speakers because this is what I think makes a big difference to the sound quality. Any good DAC should be fine so there's no point in spending a fortune here.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I feel the same, my 320 pound hrt music streamer doesn't sound much better than my 220 pound dac magic...you really have to listen to tell the difference.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I have no formula, or particular thoughts on the matter, other than that the speakers are the most influential component in a system regarding the overall sound.

That said, my system doesn't have much in it anyway apart from the speakers and DAC/Amp. My cables would be the same unless I needed a different type of connection.

My next purchase might well do away with the DAC/Pre as an individual item, but in all, no ratio really applies other than circumstantial in my case and that is about 20% DAC/Preamp and 80% speakers.

T

the record spot

I've tended to buy during sales or ex-dem/used, so the price paid doesn't reflect the true breakdown at the "as new" price. With that in mind, the new prices are listed below:-

Denon - £1000

Tannoy DC4 - £300

Onkyo - £400

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
fr0g said:
The high end DACs use the same "cheap" ICs as the low to mid price ones.

fair enough. only until you don't want to buy a DAC with ICs. you could find such DACs too. but they don't cost 200GBP if you ever wondered.

now on topic. I don't follow any rules regarding assigning budget % to buying different components. I try to find out what's inside the box. and if the design philosophy matches what I believe is right only then will I consider making a purchase. price is irrelevant. in other words I would easily buy a 800 USD DAC over 5K Euro DAC, but I know the former one works the way I'd like a DAC to work. same with amps and speakers.

my current system when bought new breaks down to:

CDP 2600GBP

Amp 2000GBP

speakers 1500GBP

(not mentioning TT)

but I didn't pay as much...

CDP stays as is until silver discs are discontinued. amp would likely be upgraded to an inpol design from Pathos. and speakers (hopefully) to true ribbons, most likely also from Magnepan, due to cost restraints.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would spend the same (or even a little more) on the amp than on the speakers, as it the heart of the system. I would spend around 20% on the source.....but none of this is set in stone.

The secret is making the most of the budget by getting ex-dem or old stock etc

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Speakers £3250

Amp £1425

CD £1925

IMac + hiface + DACmagic £1800

Either source represents a similar value in monetary terms (although not performance!) so total system cost using any source is roughly £6500

That gives the following percentages of 50% : 22% : 28% (Speakers : Amp : Source)

My next upgrade will probably be in the form of a DAC or external ps.

I will likely wait to hear about the snaxo for the ovator s400 though as I would definitely consider going active by adding a power amp or trading the xs for a pre and twin power amps.... I'm happy for now so no rush!

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Back in the day i was told by good ole Radford Hi Fi, 50% source, 25 amp & 25 % spkrs.

Then I think the thought changed to 1/3 's (source amp & spkrs)

With digital media my ratio is:

ipod (Classic) £150

Dock station (Pure I-20) £70

Dac £150 (DAC magic second hand)

Amplification totals £800 (Temple Audio pre & 4 mono's)

Speakers £150 (secondhand Mission 752 originals)

Biggest difference for me was the amplification. having the pre with 4 x mono's really opened up the detail, timing and headroom. The speakers adding the dynamic punch and "feel" of the music.

I might be wrong but with a digital format the source just carries the 0's & 1's, it's how the DAC converts to analogue that is the key. The rest is down to "tuning " to your listening tastes and room?

If I bought a replacement TT for my Linn, I expect that would be the most expensive outlay?

V interesting topic

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Vlink: 70€ second hand: 3%

Cables: approx. 150€ : 6%

Amp + Dac HK 990: 1200 € : 45,5%

Speakers: 1200 € : 45,5%

John Duncan

fr0g said:
John Duncan said:
http://www.modushop.biz/ecommerce/cat037_l2.php?n=1#2

So I'd be roughly on the money then.

Yep. I'd want a discount for bulk obv.

But I'd be interested to know how much it would actually cost you to make a DAC, all parts and labour included, and then to add your 50% margin (which is reasonable in this line of work, I'd say). Let's ignore R&D and marketing.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
fr0g said:
John Duncan said:
http://www.modushop.biz/ecommerce/cat037_l2.php?n=1#2

So I'd be roughly on the money then.

Yep. I'd want a discount for bulk obv.

But I'd be interested to know how much it would actually cost you to make a DAC, all parts and labour included, and then to add your 50% margin (which is reasonable in this line of work, I'd say). Let's ignore R&D and marketing.

Cost me? Dunno. I'm no electronics engineer, but I bet the Chinese factory that churns out Cambridge DACs at £200 rrp spends no more than about £30-£40 if that.

Factory markup

"Manufacturer" markup

dealer markup

And to you, £166 + VAT, ie £200

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I think up to the price of the DACmagic plus, you get reasonably good VFM. There's not much else around at the money and with that feature set.

Apologies to the OP for thread derailment.

T

the record spot

John Duncan said:

Time you paid a visit back up to Edinburgh JD, Wolfson MicroElectronics near Murrayfield (or just off Gorgie depending on how posh you do/don't want to appear!) would maybe be able to help you out...? That'd be an interesting article alright - they've had a tough time of it in recent years, by all accounts.

SolarGlider

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to do it in euro, easier for me.

Normal price amp: 1950

Bought second hand for: 1450

normal price speakers: 1750 -> but it's because they're in high gloss, in wood about 1300

second hand for: 800

dac is new: 699

Looking at this I maybe should have spend more on my speakers, but they were such a bargain.

It is interesting to see what others have spend.
smiley-wink.gif

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I wonder how much people have spent on the music they play relative to the amount of kit they own ... I dread to think how much those with 1 or 2 thousand LPs/CDs have shelled out! :O

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
tino said:
I wonder how much people have spent on the music they play relative to the amount of kit they own ... I dread to think how much those with 1 or 2 thousand LPs/CDs have shelled out! :O

Goof call :grin: I've probably spent a little more on music than the system over the years, seems reasonable?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts