The problem with 3D

Sliced Bread

I've just been watching a sky 3d demo and I think I've found why I dislike 3d so much.

1) In the real world, you choose what your eye focuses on. In 3d The the camera has done this for you. Now I know this is also the case in 2d, but it feels natural in 2d as my eyes are just searching in two rather than 3 dimensions. In 3d I feel my eyes are constantly working and searching the scene to try and figure out where they should be looking.

2) It's used in such a gimmicky way. Everything is thrown in your face as if to say "hey check this out...we can do 3D don't you know!" It's the visual equivalent of having your rear speakers and sub up too high! It's too much and it ruins the experience.

3) Following on from above; the depth of field is not natural.

4) I get double vision when anything pops out the screen too much.

A

Anonymous

Might well be the case

Recently viewed a demo at Comets and got the impression of cardboard cut outs in the front field , reminded me of the old Stereo viewer you used to get.

Saw a clip of Football on a Samsung and the movement was terrible , headache waiting to happen.

Thoughts were with demo material that Panasonic was better than Samsung , confirmed that 3D is not for me.

Reinforced my view that for the moment 3D's future is in gaming

scene

I agree with most of these points

I think the trouble is, no matter what anyone in the industry might say, is that 3D (assuming it will survive) is in it's infancy, particularly for the studios. Directors don't know how to use 3D and there is the temptation to use the "Jaws 3D" effect with items popping out of the screen for the "look, this is in 3D, wow!" impact.

All of this detracts from the experience. In my opinion, film should be about creating an immersive experience that draws the viewer in, with all elements of it helping to contribute to the overall experience. The progression of film has shown this, from B&W, to talkies, to colour, widescree, 5.1 sound, etc. have all helped in this process.

Trouble is, in the majority of cases 3D is detracting from this. It's like some of those early stereo music recordings (listen to early Pink Floyd) that play around with the stereo image, because they could. 3D is a bit like that at the moment.

I think that the need for immersion also means 3D suits big screens (read: cinema) and being up close to the screen (read: gaming). If you sit 3m away from a 40" screen watching 3D, it's like looking through a window and the 3D effect is a bit lost...

Sliced Bread

lesmor:Recently viewed a demo at Comets and got the impression of cardboard cut outs in the front field , reminded me of the old Stereo viewer you used to get.

Yes...I know exactly what you mean! It's like 2D people and objects on a 3D landscape. Really odd.

Agree with yourself too scene. It will definitely improve as the directors mature in their approach.

I also think that the technology is still not quite there yet. Even with more subtle scenes it just doesn't feel like you're looking through a window into a real world. Strangely 2D seems more life like to me.

cwalduck

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
When watching a film, the director can choose to focus of certain elements he want us see e.g. moving focus from one person to another and back again. In 3D this element is removed as everything is in focus leaving us to move our own focus.

While watching a movie I like to be taken for the ride I don't want to have to work it out for myself... 3D is not for me...

A

Anonymous

Totaly agree with you Sliced Bread!
Thise 3D thing it has never been a success and it will never be anytime sooner....omg who want to buy headache

A

Anonymous

I agree 3D is mostly a gimmick.

I watched Toy Story 3 at the cinema with my family and we opted for 2D and we thoroughly enjoyed the movie. My sisters family all went to see it in 3D and found the movie disappointing. And our families usually have similar taste in movies!

Saying that, I did enjoy Avatar in 3D - which was probably the only positive 3D experience I've had.

F

FunkyMonkey

jazzdog:

I watched Toy Story 3 at the cinema with my family and we opted for 2D and we thoroughly enjoyed the movie. My sisters family all went to see it in 3D and found the movie disappointing. And our families usually have similar taste in movies!

Please tell me you ain't a scientist with logic like that. lol.

My experience of 3D is Toy Story at cinema. Joyfully, 3D was not intrinsic to the movie, and even thoguh not a massive animation fan, I have to say it was one of the best cinema experiences I have ever had (ranking along Matrix, Titanic, and Gladiator).

I was blown away by the Sky 3D ad where you are amidst some footballers. It's like you can smell the grass and teh booze on their breaths from Saturday night!

My only experience of 3D on TV was the Panasonic demo. I was sodl at that point (October 2009).

What I find amazing is that they can make things appear OUT OF THE SCREEN. I expected depth INWARDS (behind the screen), but hwo the hell do they make things project OUTWARDS???!!!!!

A

Anonymous

FunkyMonkey:

What I find amazing is that they can make things appear OUT OF THE SCREEN. I expected depth INWARDS (behind the screen), but hwo the hell do they make things project OUTWARDS???!!!!!

This a direct result of the expert employees they recruit......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts