The Price Of Vinyl (In America)

matthewpianist

Vinyl has reached ridiculous prices to the point where I'm hardly buying any again. I have the odd bit of luck such as a near mint copy of Everyone Is Everybody Else I picked up for £10 at an Oxfam shop, but it's few and far between.

It's a shame because my vinyl replay set-up is better than it has ever been. Good job I already have a decent collection to enjoy.

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray

camcroft

I got this record this morning from a seller off Discogs supposed to be NM from an 100% seller. NM is one of the most expensive gradings.ebay is terrible but at least you have room to complain.
IMG_0771.jpgIMG_0770.jpg

Reactions: Gray

camcroft

If it was a lot of cash send it back.
Its a 3 LP set cost me £24 but it is not easy to get the first two LP's are okay and have the songs on that I bought the album for all I want is for him to do is acknowledge that he has made a mistake in the grading for future reference and that he might physically check them before despatching them instead of having Pound signs in his eyes.

DCarmi

As far as I remember, I was paying around £5 for a new full price album in about 1980. That would equate to around £20 today, so the markup is there but not quite as significant as you might think. Especially given the low production capacity these days. It's more that CDs versions are so much cheaper.

Recently, I picked up a decent box set of 8 CDs for £11. I'd doubt I could have found anything similar in 1980 for under £3, new.

WayneKerr

As far as I remember, I was paying around £5 for a new full price album in about 1980. That would equate to around £20 today, so the markup is there but not quite as significant as you might think. Especially given the low production capacity these days. It's more that CDs versions are so much cheaper.

Recently, I picked up a decent box set of 8 CDs for £11. I'd doubt I could have found anything similar in 1980 for under £3, new.
I've still got the first CD I ever bought with the price label still attached - £8.99 :eek:

Reactions: Gray and DCarmi

DCarmi

My first player was a refurbed Marantz, I bought on impulse from Richer sounds. On the way back home, I went into a local record shop and picked up 3 CDs, with the box still under my arm. The lady behind the counter looked at me knowlingly. Can't remember what I paid for them but I do remember wondering if I had made a mistake!

1985 - Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms. The Aiwa CDP I played it on back then was still working when I replaced my sisters system with my Marantz cast-off 8 years ago.
Pretty sure the OP mentioned vinyl, not too sure why CDs entered the thread.
Anyway, my first purchase of vinyl was Pink Floyd 'Relics' from Woolworth in 1971, unfortunately cannot remember how many shillings it was.... :)

DCarmi

Pretty sure the OP mentioned vinyl, not too sure why CDs entered the thread.
Anyway, my first purchase of vinyl was Pink Floyd 'Relics' from Woolworth in 1971, unfortunately cannot remember how many shillings it was.... :)
Probably me but there was context! Honest!!

Relics was one of my first purchases with my own pocket money. I knew nothing about Pink Floyd but was in the bargain bin section in Woollies. Since my parents were skinflints, I always shopped vinyl in the discount sections. In the end I was forced to get a Saturday job!

Reactions: Gray

Gray

my first purchase of vinyl was Pink Floyd 'Relics' from Woolworth in 1971, unfortunately cannot remember how many shillings it was.... :)
If it was after February '71, then it was sold in 'New Pence'....though we always converted it to shillings to get the true value.

I think CDs always come into the discussion as they're the obvious comparison to vinyl when it comes to prices over the years.

Reactions: WayneKerr
Probably me but there was context! Honest!!

Relics was one of my first purchases with my own pocket money. I knew nothing about Pink Floyd but was in the bargain bin section in Woollies. Since my parents were skinflints, I always shopped vinyl in the discount sections. In the end I was forced to get a Saturday job!
i believe you....
The bargain bin at Woolies was always worth a rummage.
I got it because I knew of Floyd

Gray

I've still got the first CD I ever bought with the price label still attached - £8.99 :eek:
You actually did quite well there Doug.
My first CD purchases were from a mate's Uncle who (legitimately) supplied them considerably cheaper....all around £9.
(They were 4 or 5 quid more in the shops at the time).

Even so, I was extremely selective with my 3 or 4 choices.
When myself and others had around 6 discs, the work foreman had about 400....I thought that was amazing (at the time).

Reactions: WayneKerr

matthewpianist

The first vinyl I actually purchased (and I can't believe I'm admitting this), was the 12" single of 'Walking In The Air', with pocket money, from Woolworths. To be fair I was about 9 at the time, and I already had some very good albums which had been handed down to me. My next vinyl purchase was the first All About Eve album, so things improved quickly and dramatically.

My first CD purchase was a NAXOS recording of Jeno Jando playing Schumann piano music. That was about a year later, and the CD was £5.99.

Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts