The perfect speaker stand filler !!!!

leet2009

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Try filling metal stands with 'wood' cat litter from tesco. It's low mass, high damping, rather than high mass found in sand & shot, which stores energy & ruins the sound ( no bass extension, false thump to the bass, lack of image depth) Being wood it dumps energy qiuckly, rather than storing it & creates a natural, livelier, more musical sound with a more tuneful bass & clearer, cleaner mids & highs. I was quite suprised at the improvement to the sound after replacing the sand with this & it's cheap!!! Give it a go, tell me what you think.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I'm using pipe insulation tubes with a diameter about 1mm larger than the interior of the 'legs'.

It stops any 'ringing' when the legs are tapped but doesn't add much (unecessary to my mind) weight to the stands. I've done the sand filling 'thing' before (three-quarters filled as recommended) with some old Atacama stands and it made no difference at all.

TBH the pipe insulation may not be any better or worse than sand (or nothing at all) but if the legs don't 'ring' when tapped then I can be sure they aren't adding anything to the sound.

Blu-Tack on the corners of the top-plates keeps the speakers from being accidently knocked off their perch and may prevent some spurious vibrations being transmitted down the stands. Maybe it doesn't, but it's the best solution i've come across yet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts