The old hifi in a digital world

Junolab

Jul 14, 2021
Visit site
I'm having a nice big pair of speakers (Vienna Acoustic Beethoven) with a Lyngdorf poweramp and a Vincent amplifier. It's a nice setup, but I so rarely play at high volumes nowadays and I'd love to have a simpler setup where I can simply turn on the phone and "beam" the music to some speakers.

However I'd still like to have a somewhat quality setup, so what are the options? I just saw the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 which could the one device to make all things smart while still keeping the speakers, but I've also just considered selling it all (not likely to get much for big speakers these days) and simply buy a B&O A9 or something that simple.

What have you done? Made your old HiFi smart or simply rethought it from the ground and up?

Last edited:
I'm having a nice big pair of speakers (Vienna Acoustic Beethoven) with a Lyngdorf poweramp and a Vincent amplifier. It's a nice setup, but I so rarely play at high volumes nowadays and I'd love to have a simpler setup where I can simply turn on the phone and "beam" the music to some speakers.

However I'd still like to have a somewhat quality setup, so what are the options? I just saw the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 which could the one device to make all things smart while still keeping the speakers, but I've also just considered selling it all (not likely to get much for big speakers these days) and simply buy a B&O A9 or something that simple.

What have you done? Made your old HiFi smart or simply rethought it from the ground and up?

Firstly, you have a really nice set-up, there's no reason why playing at lower volumes should be an issue.

If you really intend to downgrade in terms of simplicity or non-faff set-up, Cyrus match well with Vienna Acoustics: All shoe box size and they offer digital (Dac and streamers) as well as traditional analogue.

Personally I would keep what you have and just add a streamer, which'll take you further up the tech route.

Tinman1952

a simpler setup where I can simply turn on the phone and "beam" the music to some speakers.
This can mean two things:
1. Have your music on the phone and send it to your system….or
2. Use your phone as a controller to stream music to your HiFi.
For the first one you are pretty much talking about Bluetooth or Airplay to send the music files or indeed music streaming services to your HiFi.
For the second one then you need some kind of streamer/DAC to receive the audio over your network from a music server or access the built in streaming services.

Or if the OP is really determined for a "one box for all" then I would audition Leema Quasar. It has all the bells and whistles apart from a built-in phono stage. The reviews I've read have all been positive.

More traditional looking than the B&O A9 but is compact enough that it could be stuck in a corner - should sound awesome with Vienna Acoustics too. It should, if my Pulse and Tucana is any indication, be a adept at lower volumes.

Clickety

Junolab

Jul 14, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for all the great replies! I'm not really looking for a "one box for all", but I'm looking for convenience. If I need to switch the source if I turn on the TV, need to turn on 4 boxes to get any sound at all, its is not soo convenient. 1st world problems I know :) I used to have a switch for a power-adaptor which would turn on most boxes at once, so that's pretty convenient. However I'll be borrowing the TDAI-1120 from a local store to see if it does the work :) But if there any there good streamers out there which include some smart switching and can connect both photo (or potential the riaa), tv (digitally) and the power amp, then I might be able to save some dough or get even better sound :)

Tinman1952

Thanks for all the great replies! I'm not really looking for a "one box for all", but I'm looking for convenience. If I need to switch the source if I turn on the TV, need to turn on 4 boxes to get any sound at all, its is not soo convenient. 1st world problems I know :) I used to have a switch for a power-adaptor which would turn on most boxes at once, so that's pretty convenient. However I'll be borrowing the TDAI-1120 from a local store to see if it does the work :) But if there any there good streamers out there which include some smart switching and can connect both photo (or potential the riaa), tv (digitally) and the power amp, then I might be able to save some dough or get even better sound :)
Actually the Lyngdorf sounds perfect for what you want..
The only alternative I can think of for less than half the price is the Bluesound Powernode which is a quality streaming dac/amplifier which has HDMI eARC input for your TV. No phono input though…..but that could be sorted by a stand alone phono stage with some of the money saved. 🙂

Reactions: Junolab

Junolab

Jul 14, 2021
Visit site
Just an update: I borrowed the TDAI-1120 and what a device!!! For my speakers, I really don't need any extra power, but since I have the Lyngdorf power amp I'd let it stay connected anyway. But its fantastic I can turn on the TV and it turns on the hifi meanwhile and let me control the volume with the TV remote. For music the RoomPerfect really tightens up the sound quite a lot (my current yet to be furnished livingroom is also horrible) and having the option to just "ping" the TDAI from whatever service I use is superb. It checks all my boxes, so its a keeper :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts