The old granite chopping board isolation platform trick

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello there,

I havent posted here in a long time. But I remember someone posting a thread about a cheap solution to turntable isolation - granite chopping boards ! I have been searching online but have struggled to find any big enough. So if anyone would be kind enough to help or suggest another awesome solution that would be brilliant.

Stephen

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Granite Chopping boards are not expensive.....can you not get 2 of them and push them together. It might also be worth getting sorbothane feet for the bottom of the Granite, to further isolate it.

You could also use a Marble Slab, or a Butchers Block...with isolation feet.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Yes I think this will be the solution, to buy two boards. My brain did not figure that out, I have a lot of stuff going on right now. Thanks for replying !

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
No Probs.....it happens to the best of us (and me, more than most).

Just make sure the 2 board are exactly level with each other....especially if you use squashy feet, which could compress to different heights, depending on how the weight is distributed.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I use granit cutting boards, three in fact, they sit on a cupboard top with round 'felt feet' to sit on, my valve amplifiers sit on the granit and yes it does work. Got mine from 'Tescos home department'. The Turntable sits on a home made shelf, fashoned from an old open back, bent wood arm chair. it has three adjustable points on which sit an isolation board made from 'chipboard' with routed random size grooves on the underside.

An alternative would be a board (MDF or chip) cut to size, an equaly sized glass sheet placed on top with a felt interface between them. I have used this on TT platters, platter, felt then glass. Adjustable feet could be put on the board, beech 2" square blocks with a threded hole to take a spike, beech wood takes a nice solid thread. Experimenting with the felt iterface, full felt, veriouse siz squeares or shapes? Again random size routed groves on the board underside might help, thicknes of the board and glass may also be a factor?

CJS

CnoEvil said:
No Probs.....it happens to the best of us (and me, more than most).

Just make sure the 2 board are exactly level with each other....especially if you use squashy feet, which could compress to different heights, depending on how the weight is distributed.

Good plan. Sorbothane is a good isolator but does squish down best to stick deck on top then leave for a while before 're-levelling.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Also seen a post in the LP group on Facebork where someone posted a piccy and said they got the blocks from Dunelm rather cheaply.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts