The next step?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have just found out that the B&W Zeppelin Air has USB and optical digital input options. (First time I have ever read anything about B&W Zeppelins so not suprising I suppose.)

Interesting.

In my endless quest - to defeat the evil cable-ness and clutter of hifi - could this be the next logical step? (In a year or two maybe.)

It charges iPhones & syncs & plays them from it's 'perch' on the Zeppelin and has AirPlay (that I am now using for almost everything anyway) AND it has optical digital input (combined minijack/mini toslink) to plug in my telly for nice stereo sound from all things DVD/BD/telly/iPlayer/iPlayer radio/Freeview radio.

Hmmm. That would be two less boxes (speakers) and three less cables than my current 'minimalised' system. (Speaker cables and FM antenna coax.)

I'd have to forego FM radio but would still have plenty of 'backup' (Freeview radio, iPlayer radio and internet radio).

I would no longer have CD playback. (Only used it once, since I bought the M-CR603, just to make sure it works.)

No DAB either. Great!

I will go to Chichester one day next week and have a listen (the Loewe Galerie there stocks B&W Zeppelin).

It would still have a couple more cables than the ideal (none), but would have less than the present system and take up less space than a set of Rega floorstanders :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
John Duncan said:
It's no replacement for a proper stereo, IMO...

Perhaps not, but someone Mrs P knows has the Zep and the sound quality is apparently excellent. And from what Chebby has stated in the past, sound quality isn't the be all...

Sound quality is important (otherwise I would not be considering a £500 chunk of B&W technology as a possible next downsize step).

Fun, looks, convenience and space are important too.

I'll have a listen soon (this week maybe) and report back.

I might find it's a step too far.

A

Anonymous

i must admit i'd love to hear one of them (my old panasonic cobra (below) bought in 1996 still sounds pretty good), though i just couldn't see myself being content with one as a replacement for my hifi, could you really?

reading the forum everyday and hearing terms like "wide soundstage" :) "fantastic imaging" :p how long before your zeppelin was getting dirty looks :)

PANASONIC_RX-DT75.jpg

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Maybe I can help. Two weeks ago I bought a zeppelin air. Quality wise this is what you can expect:

-great looks

-convenience

-good sound, but nowhere near hifi that just leaves you in awe.

Compared to Rdac and A32, the zeppelin represents the music pretty well, but it's not aiming at hifi credentials.

It's more about good fun, convenience, and great looks. Like a very good radio on a table in the kitchen.

It works also well as a replacement for tv speakers when you have no surround package.

Soundwise, there's quite a lot of detail. Musical notes can be quite easily separated. However, it's not able to convey emotion or room acoutics of the place the music was recorded. Because it's a one box setup, there's also no stereo seperation. Again, much like a table radio. Summarizing: no replacement for hifi, but as a table top radio it's a real looker with excellent sound and features.

Regards,

Marc

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
That's a really interesting idea Chebby. I can't be bothered at the minute with separates and floorstanders or standmounts etc so am considering Q Acoustics TV2. I still will have 3 boxes and the TV (wii, PVR and BDP) but the unit they are in is quite big so no problem. Cables will all be out of sight and the speakers will rotate with the TV.. Also available for about £250 at the minute.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
John Duncan said:
It's no replacement for a proper stereo, IMO...

Perhaps not, but someone Mrs P knows has the Zep and the sound quality is apparently excellent. And from what Chebby has stated in the past, sound quality isn't the be all...

Sound quality is important (otherwise I would not be considering a £500 chunk of B&W technology as a possible next downsize step).

Fun, looks, convenience and space are important too.

I'll have a listen soon (this week maybe) and report back.

I might find it's a step too far.

Never said it wasn't important. I was just mentioning, given your review of the Marantz over the Nait, that your willing to take a slight drop in performance for convenience.

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
On a similar quest, I am still extremely happy with M-CR603+B&W685 and looking down at another several years at least before I would consider changing.

But I must admit I have been thinking lately of something like Focal's CMS40 or Quad 11L Actives to go with Squeezebox Touch for my other system. The size of the speakers matters, and these would be aesthetically pleasing as well as diminutive and apparently with a good quality sound (by reading online reviews, never heard them myself). Lows roll off at 60Hz but that doesn't bother me at all.

Zepeling Air is something I would consider but not to replace 'proper' stereo.

I have LinkstationDuo NAS for which firmware update has been released to include Squeezebox Server so connecting the two won't be such a pain as it used to be until very recently.

Anyone using, or thinking of going for, a similar setup? Chebby, did you have any thoughts on going small but 'active'? There would still be wires though...

John Duncan

Superaintit said:
Maybe I can help. Two weeks ago I bought a zeppelin air. Quality wise this is what you can expect:

-great looks

-convenience

-good sound, but nowhere near hifi that just leaves you in awe.

Compared to Rdac and A32, the zeppelin represents the music pretty well, but it's not aiming at hifi credentials.

It's more about good fun, convenience, and great looks. Like a very good radio on a table in the kitchen.

It works also well as a replacement for tv speakers when you have no surround package.

Soundwise, there's quite a lot of detail. Musical notes can be quite easily separated. However, it's not able to convey emotion or room acoutics of the place the music was recorded. Because it's a one box setup, there's also no stereo seperation. Again, much like a table radio. Summarizing: no replacement for hifi, but as a table top radio it's a real looker with excellent sound and features.

Regards,

Marc

Bingo.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I'll still go and have a listen. I have found out that the Chichester Loewe Galerie stock the Meridian M80 too!

I can't afford an M80 (£1500), and it doesn't have AirPlay, but I'd like to hear it nonetheless. (I might win the Lottery jackpot and need a table-top radio or two some day :) )

There are worse days out than browsing posh radios and iPod docks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts