The newest of the new

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello, I'm brand new to the forum here, (My first post, of course) and the newest of the new when it comes to practiced hi-fi, though I've read dozens if not hundreds of reviews for speakers, amps, headphones, even cables and stands for months. My only problem is now, on the brink of my building my first system from scratch, I have no idea what to do to get there.

My situation is this: My audio or stereo experience is limited to a vintage Sansui tower and a Sony A/v receiver. Armed with only this, I am now wishing to build my own entry-level hi-fi system (Under 2k absolutely, under 1k preferably). After much research, I have decided that the Magnepan MMG's are the speakers for me. They seem to receive nothing but glowing reviews and they have the 60-day return policy in their favor.

Aside from this, I am at a loss. I would like to run these maggies through a receiver along with a separate surround system, to consolidate controls and price. However, I know that 99% of A/V receivers under 1k will not run them to their fullest, much less anything in addition. I am hopeful that here is a way to run a (cheap but adequate) amp through the receiver and use it only as a connector from my speakers/amp to my CD player/etc.

So, in a nutshell, I have never done anything like this before, and I would like any sort of advice on equipment or techniques available to keep my system under the 1-2k mark, but first and foremost, I need a step-by-step guide on how to properly connect an amp/speaker combo and/or a receiver/(pre)amp/speaker combo, from start to finish. I don't even know for sure which type of connectors would be appropriate, so please, as clearly and as detailed as possible. Any links to a tutorial of this type would also be greatly appreciated.

If it helps, I am willing to add a sub, as this may also be a part of a home-theater setup, but I would estimate the MMG's will be used for 2-channel stereo ~80% of the time. I would prefer to buy new, and I will likely be adding to this setup later in increments, as funds are made available.

Thank you for any replies, and I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, though a quick search didn't turn up anything in the forum that I could tell.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for the quick reply, I can't seem to load the video either for some reason though... I think that'sclose to what I'm looking for, I'm mostly concerned with the situation regarding an outside amp or pre, if it is possible and how to do it exactly.

A

Anonymous

Still no luck with the videos, though I'll check YT later on for similar ones, that seems a good place to learn about what I'll actuall need to do to get any setup up and running.

Does anyone have any receiver/amp/cable sugestions? I'm set on the MMGs, I was looking at NAD amps, speciffically the 326BEE, as they are often recommended as companions to the MMGs. I wonder if they supply adequate power to fully open the Maggies though, at least the sub-$800 models. I know next to nothing about cables, I've never really considered them in an A/V disscussion, but I know that radically different materials and designs must beget some differences.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
I can't comment on your choice of equipment, I'm not familier with them. I do something like what you're trying.

I combined my hifi with the home cinema so I'd only have one set of front speakers.

I run a pre out (Onkyo 806) to an imput on my (Arcam A90) this amp has an option to se the level so you don't have to keep setting the volume everytime you use it in the home cinema.

Balance all your home cinema speakers in the normal way and your set to go.

I'm sure someone will be along who would be able to explain this better than me.

Good Luck.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the search tag, I'm looking into it now.

@Andy

This is what I was wondering about, I just didn't know if what I was thinking was possible, but you have asuaged my fears there. I will look into the 806, as I was already interested in other Onkyo receivers, I just wasn't sure which had pre-outs, (or if that was truly what I needed to begin with) and if I could use that to drive my MMGs, (they're 4-ohm, and like I said, most receivers in my price rangge aren't even rated for low-impedance speakers).

My question now is, is there any certain spec I would need to look out for when pairing an amp and receiver? Will one hurt the other in any way if they are not chosen carefullyfor instance? And does my receiver strictly matter (aside from overall sound quality) when I use an amp? The latter will be supplying all power and the receiver won't have to do anything but route the signal, correct? I'm also interested in the Ascam amps, I've heard great things about them, though they seem a bit harder to find.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
charles_mbush said:
Thanks for the search tag, I'm looking into it now.

@Andy

My question now is, is there any certain spec I would need to look out for when pairing an amp and receiver? Will one hurt the other in any way if they are not chosen carefullyfor instance? And does my receiver strictly matter (aside from overall sound quality) when I use an amp? The latter will be supplying all power and the receiver won't have to do anything but route the signal, correct? I'm also interested in the Ascam amps, I've heard great things about them, though they seem a bit harder to find.

I would just look for an amp with a similar watts per channel, it doesn't have to be exact. They will be fine together, by using a pre out, the av amp essentially become a source component for the second amp (I think that's correct)

Set the volume on the second amp to about 2/3rd and then balance of the home cinema. The second amp doesn't have to have the feature were you set the level, in this case you would have to remember the level you set it at and set it manually every time you use the home cinema.

The main thing is to get an amp that will drive your speakers, can't help you there.

If your set on these speakers and an AV amp wont drive them, it's going to get expensive (2x amps), that would get you a better AV amp with differant speakers, just a thought.

A

Anonymous

Thank you, I hadn't heard anything to suggest certain amps and receivers/processors were inherently bad for each other, but I wasn't sure. After looking at all of the work involved in the MMG setup, I think I may be better off going for some more easy-going 8-ohm speakers instead, for the reasons you mentioned as well as the simple fact that traditional speakers like that are easier to find and easier to audition with less hassle.

I figure that way, I can get a hifi setup going for cheaper (quality amps are no laughing matter in a 2k budget) and still lay the groundwork for whatever I may need in the future. So basically, as the picture becomes clearer, the hunt becomes simpler but much wider in total options.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts