The new ios 4.3 is here

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
Don't currently own an iDevice that can get this update, but thinking of upgrading. As regards new Airplay functionality and Apple TV2, is it possible to stream for example iplayer via ATV2 now? I understand apps have to be upgraded, is that right?

thanks

Chisy

A

Anonymous

On the BBC iplayer and airplay bit, ios 4.3 doesn't obviously make it work on the ipad app. Normally it is very clear - and from my perspective surprisingly omnipresent - other TV apps for the Ipad do have it. Seems odd it is not there though, so may just be me - these things can be hidden or maybe it does require an update.

duncansbby

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
The main improvements for the iphone 4 are

1 Improved airplay - can now stream own videos and most of youtube that I've tried so far. Unfortunately the BBC iplayer does not stream (so far anyway.)

2 Now have homeshare on iphone - not that a big a bonus but handy if you can dock your phone to a music player or TV, then you can stream your whole itunes library

3 Personal wifi hotspots - not tried yet. Might be very handy for ipad or laptop to tether your iphone to it in 3g areas

4 Safari twice as fast - not noticed any difference, but then rarely do when these claims are made

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
ash4324: What other TV apps do you have on your iPad (other than youtube)? (why oh wy won't 25 March come round sooner so I can buy the iPad2!!!)

Paul.

I would be curious to see if streaming youtube from the browser instead of the youtube app gets around 4OD disabling access to iOS devices. How else am I supposed to watch Charlie Brooker mindlessly ranting about iOS devices?

The best place to watch tv on an iOS device I have found is http://iphone.tvcatchup.com/ but haven't tried streaming to my aTV yet though.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Paul Hobbs:I can stream my own iphone vids to my atv2 now, what took them so long!

Hi Paul

Are you using an iPhone 4 or 3GS? I ask because I did the iPhone (3GS)/Apple TV 2 upgrade last night but now I can't stream pictures or video from my camera roll to the TV at all. Weird. Anyone else have the same problem?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
None of the actual good features work on the 3GS from the look of it. I did my update last night and looked at the new features and all the exciting ones had little stars next to them to indicate iPhone 4 / iPod 4G only...

I think the only valid improvement for the 3GS is faster Safari.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Ah, thanks prof, rather thought that might be the case! Will have to nag Clare for a new iPhone 4 then
emotion-5.gif

Paul.

To be fair, it takes about the same amount of time to stream an iPhone shot video as it takes to download and stream a you tube video, it does take time. I guess the 3Gs just didn't have the horsepower to process the uncompressed video and stream it? The camera video is a way higher bit rate than youtube remember...

A

Anonymous

Chisy

Sky mobile Tv - which is Sky Sports and Sky News (and a great App - at a cost). I also have an old iphone app TV Catch Up - which is basically freeview but I am not sure it is still available - suspect some legalities might have come in to play.

You could also research the slingplayer ipad app - reviews are mixed and you need the right slingbox (I don't think all of them work bizarrely).

Should stress I don't have an apple TV as whilst tempted I have playstation 3 and an xbox360 which do the movie streaming, so don't know how well airplay works with transmiting pictures. Sound is great on my airport express.

The ipad 2 I think transmits 1080p with the right (new) cable which is one up on apple TV (but same as PS3 and 360 possibly) so fun to be had with it, if you do get one on the 25th (enjoy the queue!). But don't forget the 3ds on the same day!

A

Anonymous

whoops! (some how double posted and have deleted the second with this nonsense - must mug up on how posting on this forum works!)

A

Anonymous

Hi. I have an iPhone 3Gs and an Apple TV and the new features are working fine.

I can stream music and movies from my iMac to my 3Gs and also stream from the 3Gs camera roll to the Apple TV.

A

Anonymous

Should add - downloaded the latest version of Sky Mobile TV earlier on the ipad - and the airplay function had disappeared. Now back again, not quite sure why it should come and go...

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
I have both Iphone 4 and 4th gen Ipod 32GB - when I try to update both to new IOS 4.3 it appears to fully download but then I get an error message saying 'there was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone - the connection timed out. Make sure your network settings is active'

Tried both and neither has updated - any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Grasbak

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
a few points assuming I understand correctly....

1. apps won't video airplay until they have been updated. Most already could airplay the audio of a video stream (eg iplayer)

2. websites have to enable airplay (even if using compatible streams) in order to work, eg iplayer

3. Andy - i read somewhere that airplay only works through the photos app, not through the camera app

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Grasbak said:
a few points assuming I understand correctly....

1. apps won't video airplay until they have been updated. Most already could airplay the audio of a video stream (eg iplayer)

2. websites have to enable airplay (even if using compatible streams) in order to work, eg iplayer

3. Andy - i read somewhere that airplay only works through the photos app, not through the camera app

Thanks Grasbak, you're absolutely right, you have to access AirPlay through the photos app, not directly through the camera app, then it works. Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts