The New Beresford TC7520 dac as a pre amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello this is my question,

Could I replace my intergrated rotel amp + cd player with the new beresford and a power amp and get better results than my current amp acheives. oh and my sonos would be the source.

I was thinking of A roksan kandy stereo power amp I have seen available for £350 just a few weeks old.

If I am talking rubbish and this wouldn't work let alone give me an improvement let me know as thisis still new to me.

Thanks.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
m1rfy:

Could I replace my intergrated rotel amp + cd player with the new beresford and a power amp and get better results than my current amp acheives. oh and my sonos would be the source.

I was thinking of A roksan kandy stereo power amp I have seen available for £350 just a few weeks old.

If I am talking rubbish and this wouldn't work let alone give me an improvement let me know as thisis still new to me.

Thanks.

That's how I understand a pre amp DAC works but I'm not sure how good the pre amp part would be in this DAC. I've been reading up on the Benchmark Pre DAC1 to go with the 840 power amp (maybe when I have some money!).

A

Anonymous

Ok so it can be done then for a start.

That would be my worry, the roksan power amp would be good but its if the beresford as a pre amp would be as good as the pre amp in the rotel.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
m1rfy:
Ok so it can be done then for a start.

That would be my worry, the roksan power amp would be good but its if the beresford as a pre amp would be as good as the pre amp in the rotel.

I know you can't take cost of products too much into consideration but if the Rotel costs £250 and is an amp, and the Beresford circa £150 and is predominately a DAC, I doubt very much that Stanley's offering will be better or as good as the Rotel.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:m1rfy:

Thanks.

That's how I understand a pre amp DAC works but I'm not sure how good the pre amp part would be in this DAC. I've been reading up on the Benchmark Pre DAC1 to go with the 840 power amp (maybe when I have some money!).

just FYI, unless you want to plug in an analogue source, you don't need the pre version of the benchmark. they all work as a pre for digital sources.

A

Anonymous

I am going to get a dac either way so this new beresford looks good value with its pre amp capability. I will just have to get that then decide if I want to start upgrading the amp side of things.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i assume it will be simple to check the beresfords fixed versus variable output. set the volume to the same level as the fixed output, and then see if you can tell any difference when you listen through your integrated amp. you can then tell what impact the pre is having on the sound.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Craig M.:Gerrardasnails:m1rfy:

Thanks.

just FYI, unless you want to plug in an analogue source, you don't need the pre version of the benchmark. they all work as a pre for digital sources.

Cheers Craig. Whatever I go for, would have my AV receiver connected via stereo cables.

A

Anonymous

Is the Beresford pre a passive pre? If it is then it'll leave the Rotel standing. To be honest, I don't think the pre amp in my Rotel RA03 is very good at all and it's a 500 quid amp. I use it on a souped-up Quad and it's a very weak link. Give the Beresford a try and you might be surprised.

A

Anonymous

I think the Beresford would be better! You're getting an awful lot of amp for the money in Rotel, when you consider casework, power supply, pre and power sections etc. I would definitely give it a try and with the much lauded Beresford money back guarantee, you have nothing to lose

A

Anonymous

Sorry to drag up this thread but I've been considering a similar upgrade path lately.

Have you had any luck m1rfy??

Also I'm not quite sure I understand the significance of a pre-amp. I'm I right in thinking this would just act as the volume control for the separate power amp? What other functions/advantages do you get with a preamp?

This is probably an amateur question but I've never really considered this upgrade pathway so my knowledge is almost non existent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts