The importance of quality of DACs???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi. I have just bought a second hand Rotel RCD-1072 cd player which I planned to match with my Rotel 1062 amp and replace my cambridge 640. Although the Rotel is a few years old I thought as it still retails today for £600 it would be a step up from the Cambridge...

It arrived and I'm a bit disappointed. It doesn't sound bad but after 3 hours of back to back playing between the two players I'm still unsure as to which is superior. There are subtle differences to be heard in different areas but as for which I find ultimately more entertaining...I'm still unsure...

Anyway on to the crux of my question...

Whichever cd player I eventually choose to keep hold of I am 90% sure I will be sending to Audiocom in a few months to be 'upgraded' I've heard quite a few very happy customers of their's. Basically although the two players are currently of a very similar sonic ability and therefore one would imagine made of similar quality parts I'm interested in the two DAC configurations. The Rotel uses just a single Burr Brown 18 bit (I believe) DAC, and the cambridge two Wolfson 24bit DACs in parallel. Now Audiocom when upgrading change something like 70 odd pieces of circuitry but of course not the DACs. Am I right to think that the Cambridge may sound better after modding due to its better DAC configuration? And that the Rotel's DAC may 'bottle neck' the improved sound quality the upgrades would have made?

I really would appreciate any advice as although a keen audiophile, I'm not too hot on the ins and outs of how most hifi actually functions inside.

Oh and my last query...If I was to choose to upgrade the Rotel with a view to then using it purely as a transport and adding an off-board DAC, how much of the mods made by Audiocom would be rendered useless due to any circuitry bypassing?? And how would you imagine this set-up would sound?

Many thanks in advance!!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Many said "TDA 1541A DAC" is the best ever made! I hade 2 off board DAC in the past and was happy with them. The only problem is I always wondering "only if i change the Transport...!" si i sold them.

A

Anonymous

ok thanks thaiman, would like to know peoples opinions on what player would be the superior of the two if both were modded based on the queries above...??

A

Anonymous

Joe, did you get an answer to this? I guess you might have contacted Audiocom, did you? What was the conclusion then?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts